Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd, this is a route I planned on EVTripPlanner.com in September without issue:

Capture.PNG

No route found.

Start: Houston Marriott Westchase, Briarpark Dr, Houston, TX
End: Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort, Indio, CA

• Helpful
Reactions: blincoln
It does, but in a very beta fashion - and again somewhat limited by the browser performance in the car. But visually, it is fun, showing the turns on Google Streetview.

How does it work? you Zoom in? and it will show you turn by turn? I played around with it this morning just to try it. it may be the reason i upgrade my May 2015-built 85D to LTE

Then again I was on pretty fast wifi (thank you to the City of NY of installing the cloud) and the pages were kind of sluggish to load anyway, so maybe LTE is not really the answer.

Odd, this is a route I planned on EVTripPlanner.com in September without issue:

View attachment 205579

No route found.

Start: Houston Marriott Westchase, Briarpark Dr, Houston, TX
End: Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort, Indio, CA

I have better luck on ABTR when I punch in a physical address, even tho the google autofill will find "The Sage Inn and Lounge," or say "The Ritz-Carlton Montreal." it will have trouble routing me there, unless I put in the street address. Try that.

I have better luck on ABTR when I punch in a physical address, even tho the google autofill will find "The Sage Inn and Lounge," or say "The Ritz-Carlton Montreal." it will have trouble routing me there, unless I put in the street address. Try that.

Ah-ha! You're right, this worked:

Start: 2900 Briarpark Dr, Houston, TX 77042
End: 44600 Indian Wells Ln, Indian Wells, CA 92210

Capture.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The 90% speed notation is very helpful. what happens when you give it your tesla login credentials exactly?

Oh, it will get your battery charge status and car position in real-time so that you can follow up your progress along your trip. Also, the beta navigation feature will work a lot better.

The browser does correctly report the car position via the normal javascript API but only once per 10 seconds.

How does it work? you Zoom in? and it will show you turn by turn? I played around with it this morning just to try it. it may be the reason i upgrade my May 2015-built 85D to LTE

Then again I was on pretty fast wifi (thank you to the City of NY of installing the cloud) and the pages were kind of sluggish to load anyway, so maybe LTE is not really the answer.

You click the navigation icon to the right on the screen and it will give you turn-by-turn advice along the route as you drive. No list-of-turns, I find them useless.

And, sorry to say, I just upgraded to LTE (for other reasons, fortunately) and it does not help the least when it comes to browser speed... :(

This is looking better and better. :)

One suggestion: Can you have the list of charging stops and waypoints do a sub-total of total time at the waypoints? For example:

Capture.PNG

So if I want to drive from Houston, TX to Indian Wells, CA, I stop at hotels in Oklahoma City and Albuquerque. I'd like to know the total time for each of those legs, so I know how much travel time (drive + charging) I have for that day.

On longer routes, this helps plan hotel stops, because I don't like to travel more than about 8-10 hours per day.

On the above table, I'd like a line with a subtotal below the "4300 SW 3rd St" and "2011 Menaul Blvd NE" that shows charge time, drive time, total time, and total miles for that leg.

An option to tell the planner that the waypoint has a destination charger would also be really useful, that way the next day's drive starts with the starting charge instead of the finishing charge from the previous day.

Feel free to enter any search strings now

Excellent :)

I tried navigating between a pair of Superchargers in France. Yesterday I had to use road-names-nearby and today I can just type "Tesla Supercharger Macon, France". I am sure that the other "address failures", resulting in "No route found", which I've had in the past are now all fixed. Thanks :)

Reactions: David99
You're right! I was confused about this, but Google must have changed their APIs. I tried switching to the Google Places API instead of what I used before to fetch positions of an address and it works like a charm!

Feel free to enter any search strings now :)
Thanks! I can once again use place names. Sounds like the google APIs are in a state of constant flux.

blincoln- This is the best route planner I've found - thank you very much! I will test it out in my car browser later!

I had a question about this route:

upload_2016-12-27_10-55-27.png

This route when I start in the center of Winchester with a higher SoC takes me North East out of Winchester - there's few other SCs en-route to Folkestone hence why it can't find a route with only 30% starting charge but I'm not sure why it doesn't route me to the SC just very slightly to the South West of Winchester first to charge?

I'm driving from my home in London to Winchester for a wedding at lunch and then leaving immediately on a European road trip, hence the low starting SoC.

Suggested wind/rain/season/etc. workaround:

I've noticed there has been some discussion about whether a route planner can account for a headwind, sleety roads, etc. I go on the assumption that it cannot - and it's a good assumption if, for example, one is planning a route for next summer's vacation...

So, using the simple alteration in Settings of just one parameter, you can create your own "Bad Weather" scenario. The relevant change is in the "Wh consumption at 65mph/110kph". The default is 324Wh. You can alter that to raise consumption by ten percent (356) if you expect mild headwinds; by 20% if you expect steady rain and some wind, and so on.

Example:
As an example, I planned a route from the Wickenburg AZ to Reno NV SpCs in my 85.I used 115% relative speed; 90/10 charge levels; a 60% @ destination; 5% degradation and the default 5 minutes to open charger.

Result:
Using the default 324Wh/mi consumption, the 684 mile trip takes 12h20m, including 3h7m of charge time.
Raising consumption to 360Wh/mi, the time spent at chargers rises to 3h37m, the time spent at each of the six chargers en route rising by four to eight minutes.

You would not want to change the other parameters, unless of course you found it prudent to consider a lower average speed - you may not wish to do that for mere headwinds but absolutely could if you expected the road to be snow-covered. Altering battery degradation would not be appropriate either.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just tried a route from Huntington Beach, CA to North Lake Tahoe, CA. The route goes through Tejon Ranch SC, Fresno SC, then 180 miles with reduced speed to Rocklin SC, skipping the Manteca SC along the way. Is there some reason for this? Route planner shows the Manteca SC, so it apparently knows it is there, but the icon remains grey.

I just tried a route from Huntington Beach, CA to North Lake Tahoe, CA. The route goes through Tejon Ranch SC, Fresno SC, then 180 miles with reduced speed to Rocklin SC, skipping the Manteca SC along the way. Is there some reason for this? Route planner shows the Manteca SC, so it apparently knows it is there, but the icon remains grey.

It's probably faster overall to drive at reduced speed and skip that supercharger rather than partially charge there. The low state of charge that you will arrive at the Rocklin SC with enables a faster charge.

WOW. I finally had a chance to check out your ABetterRoutePlanner on my 2015 P85D for an planned trip from Newport Beach CA to Breckenridge CO. Awesome work! Thanks!

Any plans to add "P" models with 21" wheels & tires to vehicle selection in Settings since these Performance models typically have higher kWh consumption?

As a new Model S owner, I felt the need of a route planner for my Tesla which helped me plan my long trips using Superchargers. The in-car planner has its issues and many other sites did not fit my specific Tesla needs either.

So, I hacked up A Better Routeplanner (which was a lot of fun). It works both off-car in your computer and phone as well as in the car browser. It will even follow your car as you drive and follow-up the consumption.

Try it out and see if you find it useful.

@blincoln , any plans to factor in external temperature? See my post here showing Tesla data: Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range