Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey blincoln,

I'm getting a lot of "Error in route finding" errors. Take for example the following round-trip route:

Also, I'm logged in, but the app seems to lose my settings for the car a lot. I normally set 85D / 100% / 90% / 10% / 10% / 90% / 5% / 290 Wh/Mi / 5 min. However, the car seems to be getting reset to an 85 a lot (see first screenshot), and the consumption gets reset to 324 Wh/Mi a lot.

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this.

Sorry for the trouble! I was fixing a few bugs today and working on a new distance backend, when I by mistake disabled the distance cache - which meant that every distance was looked up through Google every time. After a couple of hours, I was out of Google Maps API quota for 24 hours.

With the bugs fixed, everything should work as usual from tomorrow.

Haven't used ABRP other than testing for an upcoming trip in a few months, I got unable to find a route error. Problem happened when I had the arrival charge set higher than what ABRP thought was possible given last leg consumption, even though the 30 odd miles was doable I thought. Maybe a note to that issue is possible?

I'm thinking donations towards a higher tier API with unlimited quota is in your future ;)

Awesome job,BTW!

Haven't used ABRP other than testing for an upcoming trip in a few months, I got unable to find a route error. Problem happened when I had the arrival charge set higher than what ABRP thought was possible given last leg consumption, even though the 30 odd miles was doable I thought. Maybe a note to that issue is possible?

I'm thinking donations towards a higher tier API with unlimited quota is in your future ;)

Awesome job,BTW!

Yes, adding some more informative error messages is definitively on the todo list. Not always easy for the algorithm to pinpoint which parameter causes the error, though. A

On the distance API side: I am experimenting with the Open Source Routing Machine for backend distance calculations. If that works out I will use that and get unlimited lookups and a lot more freedom. If that fails, I will probably have to accept donations and pay Google more :)

It's been a while, I have been working on routing backend for ABRP. So, I am happy to announce that there is an ABRP Beta for you to try out at A Better Routeplanner .

So what's new?
  • The routing backend is now based on the open-source OSRM with data from OpenStreetMap (instead of Google), which means we can actually modify the map and settings to suit our needs. This enables all the rest:
  • 3000 ChaDeMo chargers all over northern Europe can now be included in the plan - let me know if there is any good database for fast chargers in the US and I will add that too
  • High resolution elevation data along the routes gives more exact energy consumption along the route
  • Speed limits displayed when known by OpenStreetMap. Driving speed is now according to speed limit and not "Google typical" speed..
Try it out and let me know if you find problems, strange routes, or just have good ideas for the planner!

How do you clear all the waypoints and start on a fresh route? Simply deleting them by clicking on the X doesn't work. I have been trying for days to clear out the waypoints from a route I was looking at and the waypoints just won't disappear no matter what I do. It is driving me crazy.

I had the problem too. I just put the destination in enough times to trick it into not including the ones from previous journeys (which had a lot of waypoints). That has the side effect that for each "Home" waypoint it trundles off to the nearest supercharger!! but that can easily be ignored. At some time it sorted itself out ... so its cured, for me, now.

It might be that "Delete one", "Recalculate", "Delete another one" ... will help somewhat too.

I thought I had fixed this earler, but it seems not. However, I cannot reproduce it now - it seems to require some steps of adding and replanning before it happens. Can you find something which reproduces the issue?

It happened to me when I was creating a route with a lot of waypoints (around 10 or 12). I wanted to stay off interstate so had to use a bunch of waypoints to accomplish that. @WannaBe Owner said he had a lot of waypoints too.

Is there a button somewhere to clear the route completely and start fresh? That is what I was looking for but couldn't find it.

It happened to me when I was creating a route with a lot of waypoints (around 10 or 12). I wanted to stay off interstate so had to use a bunch of waypoints to accomplish that. @WannaBe Owner said he had a lot of waypoints too.

Is there a button somewhere to clear the route completely and start fresh? That is what I was looking for but couldn't find it.
I had the problem too. I just put the destination in enough times to trick it into not including the ones from previous journeys (which had a lot of waypoints). That has the side effect that for each "Home" waypoint it trundles off to the nearest supercharger!! but that can easily be ignored. At some time it sorted itself out ... so its cured, for me, now.

It might be that "Delete one", "Recalculate", "Delete another one" ... will help somewhat too.

Now there is a "clear plan" button. I backported it from the beta at A Better Routeplanner and in the process I think I found the bug which made removing vias troublesome. Try it out!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Now there is a "clear plan" button. I backported it from the beta at A Better Routeplanner and in the process I think I found the bug which made removing vias troublesome. Try it out!

Thanks, blincoln! I had seen this bug before as well.

Can you take a look at another one for me?

Once my route is in and I begin by doing "plan route", I get the list of planned superchargers, then I start driving and get the gray panel at the bottom of the window that shows the planned vs actual statistics. This gray panel frequently has a line of text that wraps at the bottom of the panel and ends up outside the window where you can't read it. On a desktop browser, you can scroll the window with your mouse, but there is no way to scroll the window in the car. Using your finger on the main part of the window only scrolls the map, and using your finger on the gray panel just selects the text. Can you please realign the gray panel so that all the text is readable?

Also, my Tesla model is not getting saved between sessions.I have an 85D, and whenever I go back to the site, most stuff is remembered, but the car model has always reverted to an 85.

Thanks, blincoln! I had seen this bug before as well.

Can you take a look at another one for me?

Once my route is in and I begin by doing "plan route", I get the list of planned superchargers, then I start driving and get the gray panel at the bottom of the window that shows the planned vs actual statistics. This gray panel frequently has a line of text that wraps at the bottom of the panel and ends up outside the window where you can't read it. On a desktop browser, you can scroll the window with your mouse, but there is no way to scroll the window in the car. Using your finger on the main part of the window only scrolls the map, and using your finger on the gray panel just selects the text. Can you please realign the gray panel so that all the text is readable?

Also, my Tesla model is not getting saved between sessions.I have an 85D, and whenever I go back to the site, most stuff is remembered, but the car model has always reverted to an 85.

Thanks SomeJoe7777! Both issues should be fixed now, take the car for a spin to test :)

And, if you like the real-time trip info, try out the beta which has more functionality including automatic calibration of reference speed and consumption.

Last edited:
Thanks for adding the clear route button, very helpful.

One other feature request I would like to see is an "avoid highways" option for routing. I note that EVtripping.com has this feature and I have found it useful. I often take day trips with my family on the weekends, and we generally like to avoid interstates as they are boring and monotonous and my car gets much better range when avoiding them. For example, there is one trip I take from time to time to see family members in central Georgia that I can make as a round trip without stopping to charge if I stay off the interstate, but if I take the interstate I have to stop at a supercharger in order to make the trip.

When I am planning routers on abetterrouteplanner.com I have to build in a bunch of waypoints to force the route to stay off the highway. Having an option to not use highways for routing would be much easier.

Re features: the thing that stops me using ABRP as my first choice is the wish to pick Chargers I want to use. I would also like to be able to say how much I want to charge there (I guess setting the %age would be OK, as that would then show the Time - so stopping for Lunch or somesuch would work. The "Long stop here" does work for that, but not if I need to use the same charger on Out and Return legs as it sets them both to a long stop. I think that feature is now a bit stale, sorry!, and would be better replaced with the ability to "tune" the Route Details instead (coupled with being able to "Manually Add" a charger)

For example:

Check how much longer a route would be if I went via Charger-X instead, or where EVTripPlanner has a different suggestion.

Check on splitting a charge - e.g. route tells me to charge, on return journey, to 74% at 135 miles from home. That's fine (and no doubt optimal) but chances are I will be in slow traffic and I would like to add a charger closer to home (which I can skip if it turns out I have enough charge to get home).

Using EVTP and adding that near-home supercharger adds 6 minutes to journey (getting to/from charger), splits the charge to 13 minutes at that charger, but overall that reduces charging time by 6 minutes (keeping max charge to Taper at the earlier stop). The journey times are, actually, identical. Now ... if it turns out that I don't need that final charge I will save the extra 6 minutes detour and the 13 minutes charging time :)

Discovered this thread today. Great stuff @blincoln. Love it. The alternate routes is great too. Here's hoping the suspected/hoped* 8.1 FW browser update makes this snappier in car :)

Is it possible to keep, maybe as a premium service if necessary, the google estimated speed vs just max speed limit? The delta between the two is significant in some cases (repro: compare Wigan, U.K. -> Leamington Spa, U.K. between beta and production sites).
Building upon this, perhaps having an estimated arrival time which could then use Google's estimate time of day for congestion considerations?

Keep up the great work. Just donating right now to hopefully help with costs.

Thanks, Mike

Re features: the thing that stops me using ABRP as my first choice is the wish to pick Chargers I want to use. I would also like to be able to say how much I want to charge there (I guess setting the %age would be OK, as that would then show the Time - so stopping for Lunch or somesuch would work. The "Long stop here" does work for that, but not if I need to use the same charger on Out and Return legs as it sets them both to a long stop. I think that feature is now a bit stale, sorry!, and would be better replaced with the ability to "tune" the Route Details instead (coupled with being able to "Manually Add" a charger)

For example:

Check how much longer a route would be if I went via Charger-X instead, or where EVTripPlanner has a different suggestion.

Check on splitting a charge - e.g. route tells me to charge, on return journey, to 74% at 135 miles from home. That's fine (and no doubt optimal) but chances are I will be in slow traffic and I would like to add a charger closer to home (which I can skip if it turns out I have enough charge to get home).

Using EVTP and adding that near-home supercharger adds 6 minutes to journey (getting to/from charger), splits the charge to 13 minutes at that charger, but overall that reduces charging time by 6 minutes (keeping max charge to Taper at the earlier stop). The journey times are, actually, identical. Now ... if it turns out that I don't need that final charge I will save the extra 6 minutes detour and the 13 minutes charging time :)

Yes, I agree, the possibilities to choose and change chargers along the way should be improved. I am currently working on adding chargers of your choice as waypoints so that you can refine the route as you wish.