Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see now this system is way smarter than I imagined. I followed your directions and it did exactly what I wanted. See attached.

Attachments

• Trip Planner 2 stops.png
    Trip Planner 2 stops.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 144
Reactions: David99
I see now this system is way smarter than I imagined. I followed your directions and it did exactly what I wanted. See attached.

Hehe, yep. @blincoln has done a fantastic job with this tool. It's my favorite routing tool that I use on my road trips. It's more convenient than EVTripPlanner because it's designed to run on the in-car browser, and it's more accurate and has more options than the built-in Tesla Nav.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
@blincoln that is a great website, and your availability and willingness to help update it and strengthen it is incredible. Thanks.

I'm new-ish here and am currently shopping for an S. I have done a few test drives with a friend and his S as well as a Forum member here. I have not had a chance to try any long distance drives and route planning...yet.

I have a couple newbie questions for you (or anyone), hope that's okay.

1. How accurate is the planner as it compares to daily use and what folks are getting on the road?
2. Trying a few routes in the planner I noticed that at some superchargers you only "fill up" to 40-50% SOC. Is that common? Do people fill up all the way to 90% or go with the Planner's suggestions of a lower SOC?
3. Does the planner assume the "tapered" charging profile Tesla claims when at a Super Charger? What is it, like 50% SOC after 30 min?

Thanks!

1. How accurate is the planner as it compares to daily use and what folks are getting on the road?
2. Trying a few routes in the planner I noticed that at some superchargers you only "fill up" to 40-50% SOC. Is that common? Do people fill up all the way to 90% or go with the Planner's suggestions of a lower SOC?
3. Does the planner assume the "tapered" charging profile Tesla claims when at a Super Charger? What is it, like 50% SOC after 30 min?

1. This planner is extraordinarily accurate. I frequently go from 90% charge to 10% charge on one leg of a road trip, and the planner is accurate within 1-3%. My typical settings for my 85D are about 300 Wh/mile @ 65 MPH, 105% reference speed, and 75 MPH max speed.

2. Partial charges at Superchargers are not only common but actually ideal. The battery charges fastest in the lower range. Thus the entire mission of the planner is to minimize total time (driving + charging), and it does this by keeping most of your charging to the lower range of the battery.

3. Yes, the battery charging profile is exactly tapered as Tesla has illustrated, and the planner absolutely computes all time optimizations based on that taper profile. That directly leads to the planning that uses partial charges in the lower range of the battery.

I followed your directions and it did exactly what I wanted.

I'm sure this is obvious, and maybe you need that much juice when you get to Tahoe, but setting the Tahoe arrival as 88% means you need to leave Truckee with 97%, and charging above 90% is going to be slow. Might be worth seeing how much it reduces the charging time at Truckee (currently 1:02) if you drop the Tahoe arrival to 80% - presupposing that 80% at Tahoe is enough

I'm sure this is obvious, and maybe you need that much juice when you get to Tahoe, but setting the Tahoe arrival as 88% means you need to leave Truckee with 97%, and charging above 90% is going to be slow. Might be worth seeing how much it reduces the charging time at Truckee (currently 1:02) if you drop the Tahoe arrival to 80% - presupposing that 80% at Tahoe is enough

Not sure that is set as the Tahoe arrival. Looks like two stops may be selected to make the round trip and arrive with 20%.

Adding a third stop will likely save time.

1. This planner is extraordinarily accurate. I frequently go from 90% charge to 10% charge on one leg of a road trip, and the planner is accurate within 1-3%. My typical settings for my 85D are about 300 Wh/mile @ 65 MPH, 105% reference speed, and 75 MPH max speed.

2. Partial charges at Superchargers are not only common but actually ideal. The battery charges fastest in the lower range. Thus the entire mission of the planner is to minimize total time (driving + charging), and it does this by keeping most of your charging to the lower range of the battery.

3. Yes, the battery charging profile is exactly tapered as Tesla has illustrated, and the planner absolutely computes all time optimizations based on that taper profile. That directly leads to the planning that uses partial charges in the lower range of the battery.

Thank you!! Awesome info.

@blincoln Thanks for creating a great app. Just finished a 1100 mile trip and am extremely impressed at the accuracy of program.

I am now in the process of planning a 5000 mile trip with many waypoints. Is there a way to save separate legs of the trip so I don't have to recreate them later on based off of memory?

• Love
Reactions: Jelger
@blincoln
Thanks also for the app, I've used it for quite a long time and each time I miss something... you add it, before even asked. The departure time is for instance one of the great adds.
Quick feature request/proposal. Maybe it was already asked and rejected for some good reason, if so, my apologizes.
The small thing that bugs me a little is at night, when I switch to the browser and click on your app link, it can take a while until it figures out its night time. The screen is then very bright.
Would it be possible to improve this? For instance, start by default in night mode?
Maybe I'm proposing something stupid, if so, no issue for me of course. Thanks again

Preliminary Model 3 specs are now added to ABRP. Assumption is that the Long Range version behaves range-wise like a classic S85, which leads to my guess on a 70 kWh battery (67 kWh available) and a reference highway consumption of 278 Wh/mile @ 65 mph. The Standard Range version is scaled accordingly to approximately 50 kWh. Check it out!

So far just playing with routes, this is quickly becoming my favorite planner.

Question regarding the MyTesla hookup running the site in the car, does the system do real-time updates to consumption and speed and adjust charge times accordingly? Or add/remove charging stops if necessary along the way?

So far just playing with routes, this is quickly becoming my favorite planner.

Question regarding the MyTesla hookup running the site in the car, does the system do real-time updates to consumption and speed and adjust charge times accordingly? Or add/remove charging stops if necessary along the way?

Glad to hear! With MyTesla logged in ABRP will continuously fetch your SoC and - after a few percent of SoC usage - estimate the actual consumption and reference speed. When/if the SoC differs more than to 2% from the planned SoC, a button labeled "Replan" will appear in the drive information window at the bottom. This will insert the calibrated values (visible in the "Details" drive information) and replan accordingly, which may completely change your route, add/remove stops and so on depending on what is optimal with the new values.

If you do not press "Replan", nothing will be changed in the plan. It is in your hands.

Glad to hear! With MyTesla logged in ABRP will continuously fetch your SoC and - after a few percent of SoC usage - estimate the actual consumption and reference speed. When/if the SoC differs more than to 2% from the planned SoC, a button labeled "Replan" will appear in the drive information window at the bottom. This will insert the calibrated values (visible in the "Details" drive information) and replan accordingly, which may completely change your route, add/remove stops and so on depending on what is optimal with the new values.

If you do not press "Replan", nothing will be changed in the plan. It is in your hands.

That sounds fantastic. Thanks for all the hard work!

Regarding "Replan" ... lets say that the button comes up, but I decide to wait before selecting...
1) If my SoC gets back within the initial plan, does the button go away?
2) If I wait tot select Replan, is it based on my currently calibrated values or the values that were calculated when the button first appeared?