Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just coming here to post about this bug. I was finding that if I micromanaged the superchargers by forcing some to be used, I could get faster travel times than the original solution.

One other thing I noticed, I think your travel speeds come from Google's API? I've noticed that it is a bit low in many areas and this translates into much lower wh/mi consumption. For example, in west Texas on I10 where the speed limit is 85mph, ABRP indicates an average speed of 60mph. I realize this is probably just pass through info for ABRP and not necessarily a bug. Just something for users to look out for. Fortunately you had the foresight to program in a way to bias the speed so a user can put in 130% of rated speed or whatever to get closer to where they think they might drive.

Phew, glad I fixed it before you reported it ;) Thanks for noticing and taking the time to come here and report.

Travel speeds are no longer from Google's API. Just like Tesla, ABRP uses OSRM (related to MapBox) for backend routing and OpenStreetMap map data. So speeds are determined by speed limits, if known, otherwise a number estimated by road classification and other metadata. I guess the I10 in west Texas lacks proper speed limits in OSM and the estimates for North America are intentionally low. But if you add data to OpenStreetMap it will trickle down to ABRP with some delay!

Contribute your data! ABRP now allows you to share your car data if you are logged in to MyTesla. This will be used to improve e.g. the charging model or eventually the consumption model for various Tesla models.

If you want to join in, log out of ABRP MyTesla (if applicable) and log in again, leaving the "Share Data" checkbox checked.

Reactions: dwploc
I'm not sure if I'm missing it or not, but I'm struggling adding in waypoints. If I plan a trip from Portland, OR to Eugene, OR, it doesn't plan any SC stops because it's not needed. BUT, if I want to stop in Woodburn, OR and hit the SC there, I see that I can click the SC on the map, and 'add waypoint'. ABRP adds the waypoint, but I don't see any way to add charging data here. I'm expecting to see a field somewhere, where I can charge here and enter say 20 minutes, and have it calculate my departing charge, and have it cascade down to the rest of the trip.

I'm new to this, sorry if I simply missed something. Can this be done?

I'm not sure if I'm missing it or not, but I'm struggling adding in waypoints. If I plan a trip from Portland, OR to Eugene, OR, it doesn't plan any SC stops because it's not needed. BUT, if I want to stop in Woodburn, OR and hit the SC there, I see that I can click the SC on the map, and 'add waypoint'. ABRP adds the waypoint, but I don't see any way to add charging data here. I'm expecting to see a field somewhere, where I can charge here and enter say 20 minutes, and have it calculate my departing charge, and have it cascade down to the rest of the trip.

I'm new to this, sorry if I simply missed something. Can this be done?
I just enabled adding manual charging times (and power) also for Superchargers. So far this has only been possible with destination chargers.

So, if you plan a trip, then click a charger on the route, click "Add charger as waypoint" and then click the small plug icon next to the waypoint you can enter your own charging time there. You'll find that (if everything works as it should) that the total trip time becomes longer than the original plan since ABRP optimizes the total trip time.

One more question......The superchargers still have "Charge Maximum Power", like it was a destination charger. I know that you mentioned that this simply carried over from your destination charger code. Sorry if this is Naive, what would I enter her for kW on a supercharger so it's accurate? I know this is a moving target, based if you are sharing a stall or not. But what is the coded rate on SC's otherwise?

click "Add charger as waypoint" and then click the small plug icon next to the waypoint you can enter your own charging time there

Superb, thank you very much. I don't know if I am alone, but this is pretty much the only thing that was missing which caused me to carry on using That Other EV Trip Planner :)

However, couple of suggestions - which would make my usage perfect.

When I click the
tesla_icon_small.png
Icon next to the Supercharger, in the Route Plan List, could it add to in the correct sequence of Stops / Waypoints? Currently the things I have tried have added the Supercharger in the wrong place (perhaps on the Return journey, rather than the Outbound one)

ABRP01.jpg

ABRP02.jpg

ABRP03.jpg

It would help me if the "hh:mm" time box also allowed entry of "99%" as an alternative typically when I want to change the charge time I want to charge to optimal amount, either 70% (at which tapering starts for me) or 80% (at which tapering starts to become slow)

And lastly I'd really like a "recalc" mode. On a trip of some length, and several stops, the Plan Route does take some time, and if all I have altered is the charging time, or moved a proposed charger to a waypoint, then the route doesn't need to be recalculated. On the route I'm fiddling with at present (400 miles, 3 Superchargers, 6 hours) That Other EV Trip Planner is about 1 second for a "Route direct" and < 2 seconds for "Route through Superchargers" whereas ABRP is 6 seconds, and if I trial half a dozen variations on charging ("What if there isn't any destination charger", "What if I charge more Outbound", ...) it just feels a bit sluggish. (I've got Alternative Routes turned off)

Superb, thank you very much. I don't know if I am alone, but this is pretty much the only thing that was missing which caused me to carry on using That Other EV Trip Planner :)

However, couple of suggestions - which would make my usage perfect.

When I click the
tesla_icon_small.png
Icon next to the Supercharger, in the Route Plan List, could it add to in the correct sequence of Stops / Waypoints? Currently the things I have tried have added the Supercharger in the wrong place (perhaps on the Return journey, rather than the Outbound one)

View attachment 259913

View attachment 259912

View attachment 259911

It would help me if the "hh:mm" time box also allowed entry of "99%" as an alternative typically when I want to change the charge time I want to charge to optimal amount, either 70% (at which tapering starts for me) or 80% (at which tapering starts to become slow)

And lastly I'd really like a "recalc" mode. On a trip of some length, and several stops, the Plan Route does take some time, and if all I have altered is the charging time, or moved a proposed charger to a waypoint, then the route doesn't need to be recalculated. On the route I'm fiddling with at present (400 miles, 3 Superchargers, 6 hours) That Other EV Trip Planner is about 1 second for a "Route direct" and < 2 seconds for "Route through Superchargers" whereas ABRP is 6 seconds, and if I trial half a dozen variations on charging ("What if there isn't any destination charger", "What if I charge more Outbound", ...) it just feels a bit sluggish. (I've got Alternative Routes turned off)

Good feedback and proposals! I have not yet fixed the add-waypoints-in-reasonable-sequence feature, but I did add a third input field for explicitly specifying charging at a waypoint (by clicking the charge plug icon). Now you can enter one or two out of the three fields and get the expected result:
  • Charging max power (it will still be limited by the battery)
  • Charging time
  • Charging to SoC %

So, for example, you can reduce the power for a certain supercharger. Or state that you want to charge for 45 minutes. Or charge to 90%. Or combinations thereof. Don't try specifying all three though ;)

Edit: And as for response times: Let me know (send me the "Get Link" URL) if you find things which are unreasonably slow and I will see if it is possible to speed up.

Good feedback and proposals! I have not yet fixed the add-waypoints-in-reasonable-sequence feature, but I did add a third input field for explicitly specifying charging at a waypoint (by clicking the charge plug icon). Now you can enter one or two out of the three fields and get the expected result:
  • Charging max power (it will still be limited by the battery)
  • Charging time
  • Charging to SoC %

So, for example, you can reduce the power for a certain supercharger. Or state that you want to charge for 45 minutes. Or charge to 90%. Or combinations thereof. Don't try specifying all three though ;)

Edit: And as for response times: Let me know (send me the "Get Link" URL) if you find things which are unreasonably slow and I will see if it is possible to speed up.

This is perfect! Excellent work, this is a huge enhancement!

Hello,

Tried to dig through thread but couldn't find it. Trying to plan a trip. It keeps taking me route I prefer not to take. Headed to eastern shore and it wants me to go route 13 vs route 50. No additional charges or anything I am guessing shorter by a couple miles. Is there a way to change the route or select a different one.

One way trip I can do without charging and way back one stop to charge.. In both cases the supercharger is on the same route it splits after.

View attachment 262295
Is it possible for you to show the mathematical calculation/algorithm that says for the Model 3 Long Range, charging 22% takes 11 minutes and costs $2.93, and charging 68% takes 36 minutes and costs $9.19?
Nothing fancy - a simple time-per-five-% charging curve (obtained from my S90 and other sources) and then Tesla's stated prices for each state. From the battery size and charging curve it knows when the charge rate drops below 60 kW which is the limit for high and low tier pricing in certain states.

Charging is a lot faster with empty batteries which is why charging from 44% to 66% looks slow compared to 15% to 83%.

(This is all assuming that the Model 3 LR has a battery which is similar to today's 90 and 100 packs in terms of charge rate - that will be updated when we get more data from owners.)