Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your suggestion does show me how it works when there are alternatives. Thanks.

Sounds like he should remove the buttons if there are no alternatives or display a message since there's absolutely no feedback when I click on them.

Well, it says "(1/1)" which to me implied it was the only item or 1 out of 1 items so it made sense. Maybe hiding or grey out that button if there are no options is an idea though. Similar to how the "Tesla CCS" checkbox is not available if the trip is not through Europe.

Well, it says "(1/1)" which to me implied it was the only item or 1 out of 1 items so it made sense. Maybe hiding or grey out that button if there are no options is an idea though. Similar to how the "Tesla CCS" checkbox is not available if the trip is not through Europe.

I suspect the point of the NEXT CHARGER button is not simply to adjust your next charger stop, but also to give you some more information about the next upcoming charger (including a link to the Tesla page about it). This of course would be useful in the car on a trip, even though it doesn't make as much sense on the desktop.

This might already be handled in the UI but how can I plan out a trip and let the planner know I'll be somewhere without charging so that the return trip needs to start at a lower SOC than when I arrive at the destination? Like if I'm camping and I arrive on day 1 with 60%, I'd like to input I'm leaving there with 40% for example and get a realistic view of the return trip timing (not having the planner think I'm starting with 60%).

Thanks!

This might already be handled in the UI but how can I plan out a trip and let the planner know I'll be somewhere without charging so that the return trip needs to start at a lower SOC than when I arrive at the destination? Like if I'm camping and I arrive on day 1 with 60%, I'd like to input I'm leaving there with 40% for example and get a realistic view of the return trip timing (not having the planner think I'm starting with 60%).

Thanks!

@Falkirk, the easiest method imho would be to create 2 routes, 1 for heading there and 1 for the return trip, then manually change the first route to start with 60% or whatever and the return route to start with 40% or something.

Another method is to just add enough driving around in the planner from your destination so that you arrive back at the destination with 40% remaining and then you can create a single all-inclusive route for the trip.

Okay, took my first really long road trip with ABRP to really exercise it in the car. Wow, I thought it was good for planning trips...actually using it en route is amazing.

Anyway, a couple of questions:

1. I noticed the red and green bars in the live data section of the screen in the "charging" part of the SOC graph. Initially I didn't know what these were...figured it was some kind of charging timer, or battery temperature display or something along those lines. Then as I was watching it I realized that was an indication of whether upcoming stalls were occupied or not. <MIND BLOWN!> I didn't even realize you could get that data from Tesla. Well done Bo! My question is, sometimes that display is there, and sometimes it isn't. And once I figured out what it was, I really wanted to keep checking it as I was approaching the next Supercharger so I could decide whether to use the NEXT CHARGER function to select an alternate if it looked too busy. But I could not figure out how to make it appear. Can you shed some light on this? Also, and maybe related, I noticed the size of the text in the graph varies. Sometimes it is large (and reable) and sometimes it is really small.

2. I'm wondering if I am missing a simple function, or what...but what is everyone's work flow when using ABRP in a Model 3? Since the Model 3's web browser completely obscures the navigation screen, I found that I had to take down the browser to check on the navigation, and then put the browser back up to check on ABRP. Am I missing a way to get next turn information, either from the in-car NAV, or ABRP itself, without having to take down the browser? Maybe this isn't as big a deal on S & X because of the bigger screen and driver binnacle display?

I've been using ABRP for a couple of years now and loving it, but I'm about to take a trip where I'll really need to get an accurate range estimation for some travel outside of the Supercharger network. That said, does anyone have any recommendations on the most accurate figures to use for Reference Consumption at 65 mph. I guess I can make a driving loop at highway speeds, but is there a better way that I'm not thinking of?

Also, I noticed that the pulldown menu for the car selection no longer has different choices for wheel size. How do you account for the range differences between wheel sizes?

Thanks!

I've been using ABRP for a couple of years now and loving it, but I'm about to take a trip where I'll really need to get an accurate range estimation for some travel outside of the Supercharger network. That said, does anyone have any recommendations on the most accurate figures to use for Reference Consumption at 65 mph. I guess I can make a driving loop at highway speeds, but is there a better way that I'm not thinking of?

Also, I noticed that the pulldown menu for the car selection no longer has different choices for wheel size. How do you account for the range differences between wheel sizes?

Thanks!

You can plug in your actual consumption numbers using the historical data in you Trips odometer-or using something like TeslaFi.com

Thanks, but the actual consumption numbers in the odometer and/or Teslafi do not represent consumption at 65 MPH, so that’s what I’m trying to calculate to get the most accurate range estimates.
You have 2 options:
  1. Go for a drive and drive 65mph
  2. Check your current consumption, put it in ABRP and assume ABRP will make a calculation which includes a buffer.
Consumption is mostly affected by acceleration, deceleration and how long you'd be doing highway speeds. I'm pretty sure my "65mph" consumption average is on the higher end because I like to accelerate, while others might have a lower "65mph" consumption average. So that means nobody can really tell you what your actual 65mph consumption would be. You can assess it for yourself, or go with the ABRP default.

In my case, I've done a few road trips and noticed that if I put in 290Wh/km and 95% of the speed limit I get quite accurate consumption and travel time estimates with ABRP with my Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Thanks, but the actual consumption numbers in the odometer and/or Teslafi do not represent consumption at 65 MPH, so that’s what I’m trying to calculate to get the most accurate range estimates.

I'm not 100% certain of the behavior (this is another one of those things that seems to act randomly occasionally), but here's what appears to be happening: if your estimate is way off and the the actual vs. estimated energy use drifts by more than a couple percent, a "Replan" button will appear, and when you press it, I think it prompts you to use the car's current efficiency numbers for its estimates (this requires you give it your Tesla account token/login information obviously).

I don't think you need to worry about being dead-on accurate. I'm guessing that because you've used ABRP for a couple of years, you've probably taken at least a few road trips...you don't have a sense of your efficiency from any of those trips? Even if you don't use TeslaFi, didn't you ever check your trip odometer after a long trip just out of curiosity?

As for wheel size differences, this just factors into whatever you decide to pick for your reference efficiency.

• Informative
I'm not 100% certain of the behavior (this is another one of those things that seems to act randomly occasionally), but here's what appears to be happening: if your estimate is way off and the the actual vs. estimated energy use drifts by more than a couple percent, a "Replan" button will appear, and when you press it, I think it prompts you to use the car's current efficiency numbers for its estimates (this requires you give it your Tesla account token/login information obviously).

I don't think you need to worry about being dead-on accurate. I'm guessing that because you've used ABRP for a couple of years, you've probably taken at least a few road trips...you don't have a sense of your efficiency from any of those trips? Even if you don't use TeslaFi, didn't you ever check your trip odometer after a long trip just out of curiosity?

As for wheel size differences, this just factors into whatever you decide to pick for your reference efficiency.

Thanks for the input. We did a road trip on the last holiday weekend and the ABRP plan was underestimating my usage by a large margin. This hasn’t been a problem in the past, so I started looking at what the settings are and trying to figure out what changed. That got me to the consumption figure, which I haven’t needed to adjust in the past, and so I started wondering what the “best” estimate is for the current version of ABRP. I have years of driving data in both Teslafi and the “B-trip” on the odometer, so I’ve got a good handle on the lifetime average, but I was just trying to get the ABRP plan back to reality compared to this last trip.

I’m still not sure if this last trip was user error or some change in the settings, but I wanted to get it fixed before the next trip which will be much more carefully planned due to a lack of charging options on some of the legs.

Much appreciated!

You have 2 options:
  1. Go for a drive and drive 65mph
  2. Check your current consumption, put it in ABRP and assume ABRP will make a calculation which includes a buffer.
Consumption is mostly affected by acceleration, deceleration and how long you'd be doing highway speeds. I'm pretty sure my "65mph" consumption average is on the higher end because I like to accelerate, while others might have a lower "65mph" consumption average. So that means nobody can really tell you what your actual 65mph consumption would be. You can assess it for yourself, or go with the ABRP default.

In my case, I've done a few road trips and noticed that if I put in 290Wh/km and 95% of the speed limit I get quite accurate consumption and travel time estimates with ABRP with my Model X.

Thanks, that’s what I figured for getting a 65 mph value, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing some better option.

I’m still not sure if this last trip was user error or some change in the settings, but I wanted to get it fixed before the next trip which will be much more carefully planned due to a lack of charging options on some of the legs.

I do find you have to be careful with ABRP. For some strange reason it occasionally resets my efficiency rating to "394 Wh/mi" (I'm usually at about 220). But otherwise I find it matches up well with my historical efficiency from previous road trips. Just make sure you add extra cargo (passenger) weight in and put in weather/road conditions as well as appropriate.

Consumption is affected by more than acceleration/deceleration. The following can affect it:
  1. Strong headwinds
  2. Increasing elevation
  3. Rain and snow increases rolling resistance which burns more energy
  4. Cold temperatures, the battery is not as efficient and the heater will burn more energy
  5. Hot temperatures cause an increase in energy due to the air conditioner working harder to keep the car cool
If you drive from Amarillo TX to Trinidad CO, there are strong headwinds and an elevation increase from 3,605 feet to 6,010 feet. In my 2016 S90D, the navigation system told me to slow down twice to make it to the next Supercharger.

Reactions: wooter
Consumption is affected by more than acceleration/deceleration. The following can affect it:
  1. Strong headwinds
  2. Increasing elevation
  3. Rain and snow increases rolling resistance which burns more energy
  4. Cold temperatures, the battery is not as efficient and the heater will burn more energy
  5. Hot temperatures cause an increase in energy due to the air conditioner working harder to keep the car cool
If you drive from Amarillo TX to Trinidad CO, there are strong headwinds and an elevation increase from 3,605 feet to 6,010 feet. In my 2016 S90D, the navigation system told me to slow down twice to make it to the next Supercharger.
This is all true, which makes it indeed very difficult for anyone to offer @CalBlue 85D a reasonable consumption figure for ABRP. I merely was giving a simplified response.

My MS 70 has recently started Supercharging at slower rates (25K miles, about 20-25% DC charging in terms of kWh supplied).
Would it be possible to add a "reduced Supercharging rate" option, alongside the battery degradation option? Based on discussions on TMC it seems that that recent SW updates / ageing of the 85/70 batteries means that more and more of that generation of cars are being choked back in terms of charging rates.

Up until April this year my charge times closely matched ABRP predictions but now I'm ~20-25% slower (e.g. ~5 minutes extra on a 20 minute charge, +~6 mins on a 30 minute charge). I can always allow for longer charge times than predicted but the ABRP tool is so thorough it would be great to have a reduced charge rate option included.

I do share data via the ABRP web browser although I don't always have the page open - so reduced charge rate data is presumably being being captured already (although may be difficult to distinguish from the effect of cold batteries/damaged charge connectors).

Reactions: Cape Coddess
My MS 70 has recently started Supercharging at slower rates (25K miles, about 20-25% DC charging in terms of kWh supplied).
Would it be possible to add a "reduced Supercharging rate" option, alongside the battery degradation option? Based on discussions on TMC it seems that that recent SW updates / ageing of the 85/70 batteries means that more and more of that generation of cars are being choked back in terms of charging rates.

Up until April this year my charge times closely matched ABRP predictions but now I'm ~20-25% slower (e.g. ~5 minutes extra on a 20 minute charge, +~6 mins on a 30 minute charge). I can always allow for longer charge times than predicted but the ABRP tool is so thorough it would be great to have a reduced charge rate option included.

I do share data via the ABRP web browser although I don't always have the page open - so reduced charge rate data is presumably being being captured already (although may be difficult to distinguish from the effect of cold batteries/damaged charge connectors).

I have a v1 90D battery and it has been capped at 95 kW max since about 6 months into ownership (so about 3 yrs and 120,000 miles ago ... argh) so I've just gotten used to clicking the Gear on any supercharger and entering 90 kW as the max rate as I can't let ABRP auto-enter those as 120 kW or 150 kW as it is grossly different than my time needed to charge.

Having a fixed "max charging power" would be a great help to me otherwise I have to manually add every charging stop and manually adjust each one and for a 2,000+ mile trip that gets very time consuming (esp when making changes to the route).

Battery Statistics - Xmas Driving Edition

Merry Christmas everyone - I see in the ABRP logs that there has been a lot of Driving Home for Christmas recently, so I though I'd share some updated data from your charging. I have updated the charging characteristics in ABRP accordingly.

Enough talk; BT85, classic MS85 battery:
View attachment 268779
BTX4, 90 kWh battery in S90 and X90:
View attachment 268780
BTX5, Model S and X 75 battery, sometimes limited to 60 kWh:
View attachment 268781
BTX6, Model S and X 100 battery:
View attachment 268782

BTX8, a unicorn 85 kWh battey, software limited to 75 in some Model S and X 75 - needs more data but looks a lot like the classic BT85:
View attachment 268783

Finally, still not a lot of Model 3 data so I do not dare to update the ABRP model yet (red line is the current curve based on BT85). Looking like really high power charging below 50%, though:
View attachment 268784

I have quite a lot of data point for the more common car models, so just let me know if you would like me to investigate some particular aspect of them.

Would you be able to publish new charts to help us materialize the lower speed of charging reported by many owners ?
And maybe add some filter to split those affected from the other ones so it’s more obvious?

Reactions: cezdoc
1. I noticed the red and green bars in the live data section of the screen in the "charging" part of the SOC graph. Initially I didn't know what these were...figured it was some kind of charging timer, or battery temperature display or something along those lines. Then as I was watching it I realized that was an indication of whether upcoming stalls were occupied or not. <MIND BLOWN!> I didn't even realize you could get that data from Tesla. Well done Bo! My question is, sometimes that display is there, and sometimes it isn't. And once I figured out what it was, I really wanted to keep checking it as I was approaching the next Supercharger so I could decide whether to use the NEXT CHARGER function to select an alternate if it looked too busy. But I could not figure out how to make it appear. Can you shed some light on this? Also, and maybe related, I noticed the size of the text in the graph varies. Sometimes it is large (and reable) and sometimes it is really small.

I can answer part of this, based on things I've learned from a little side project. The stall occupancy data is available from the Tesla API. It shows the total and occupied stalls counts (plus some other data such as coordinates) for four Supercharger sites that are deemed to be close to where your car is currently located (it's basically the same information that's available on the charging screen in the mobile app). There are a couple of quirks here:

1. You have no control over which four sites get shown. This is solely controlled by the back-end servers at Tesla.

2. Tesla's idea of what constitutes a "nearby" site is sometimes a bit odd, especially if you're driving in an area that's Supercharger-rich, such as the San Francisco Bay Area. I haven't figured out if it's using some hysteresis or applying some prediction to try to figure out Superchargers along your current course, but the selection of chargers is definitely non-deterministic with respect to the car's present position.

So that's the information available to ABRP. How that data gets presented I can't comment on (since weirdly I don't use ABRP myself, even though I think it's a great product/service).

Cheers,

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc