Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, both www.evtripplanner.com and www.abetterrouteplanner.com are figuring in the interior cabin heating. That is why they have variables you can set for both the outside and inside temperatures, so it can plan how much heating you want for your comfort to calculate that into the energy usage. So even with the same outside temperature, you can test scenarios of how your energy usage looks if you want it 66 degrees in the car or 74 degrees.

I haven't really heard anything either way on whether they account for that.

I've done plenty of traveling in freezing temperatures, and your pre-planned playbook kind of goes out the window a bit anyway. Sure, you get a general idea of if a route is possible or not, but if you're traveling mainly on interstates with Supercharger coverage, it's fine. And when you're on the trip, you'll be adjusting on the fly of how much charge you need at each stop based on however it's been going and how much margin you want. Temperatures will be different on travel day, wind will be unknown until travel day, etc.

Maybe I need to fill out an ID10-T form but I don’t see inside/cabin temp anywhere, only outside temp, what platform are you viewing ABRP on? If I can figure out the temp issue than I’ll be better off. Going from Houston to Amarillo in my 2015 70D with 13% battery degradation, 112k on the odo and 209 max charge. Never used EV planner so I’ll check it out but I’ve been using ABRP for years now and extremely happy, it’s just iffy making some of these longer trips, that missing 30 miles on the top end really puts a hamper on it now.

Well, I sure don't let the "Beta Trip Planner" tell me a plan either, since it gives horrible recommendations a lot of the time. I just zoom out a little and navigate to the next Supercharger along the route that is a reasonable distance away.

agreed. The Tesla nav is great for around town or traveling known routes with maybe one stop but I’ll never use it for actual trip planning.

On my last roadtrip, I did find a way to select DIFFERENT SC when using the in car route planning.. I'll see if I can recreate how it was done. I think it was using the show SC button while the route suggestion was up - and when clicking on another SC it would insert that and recompute. I'll have to recreate it.

Maybe I need to fill out an ID10-T form but I don’t see inside/cabin temp anywhere, only outside temp, what platform are you viewing ABRP on?
Huh. No, that's not you. WT-everlovin-F? I've been using EVTripPlanner for many years, since before ABetterRoutePlanner existed. When ABRP came along, people raved about how amazing it was and how it was SOOOO much better than EVTP. I tried it once and hated the interface, so I never used it again. I figured since most other people loved it so much, it must have everything EVTP had and more. How pathetic that it's missing such a useful common sense important feature as figuring in your interior cabin heating and cooling adjustment? I guess people are full of sh%& and I'll keep using EVTP.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
Huh. No, that's not you. WT-everlovin-F? I've been using EVTripPlanner for many years, since before ABetterRoutePlanner existed. When ABRP came along, people raved about how amazing it was and how it was SOOOO much better than EVTP. I tried it once and hated the interface, so I never used it again. I figured since most other people loved it so much, it must have everything EVTP had and more. How pathetic that it's missing such a useful common sense important feature as figuring in your interior cabin heating and cooling adjustment? I guess people are full of sh%& and I'll keep using EVTP.
So I’m playing around with EVTP and it’s missing some things I feel are key. Here’s a screen shot of what I see.

ABRP also allows reference speed but includes max speed. In Texas we usually tend to go at least 10 over the limit and you’ll usually have a group going 85+. So I can put in a reference of 1.15 and max of 80 so I’ll do about 70 in a 60 but when it’s 75 abrp plans for me to do 80 and not 87.

ABRP also allows me to enter the battery degradation, with 112k miles on the clock I’ve lost 13% battery and it shows 207-210 at 100% that’s an essential piece of info.

ABRP also has different charger arrival and destination arrival. This allows me to get to chargers with say 15% but if I need to do some running around at my destination before I’d charge I can put in a 30% goal arrival to facilitate that.

I’ll play around with it some more when I get home and sit down but I’m not seeing how EV is better than ABRP aside from the cabin temp and that only effects me a few times a year.

I have a non-CCS Model S and noticed that, if I uncheck Tesla Supercharger (CCS), ABRP correctly hides V3 Superchargers on the map and planned routes but also hides certain sites with a mix of V2 and V3. I gather this is probably a limitation of the tesla.com/supercharge.info databases (which just report max charger power) but a potentially problematic annoying wrinkle none-the-less.

In the UK, where I live, it only affects 3 sites (as I write): Manchester (Service Centre), Park Royal (Service Centre) and Heathrow T5. Of these, Heathrow is arguably the most problematic as it serves long distance journeys that include the M25. At the moment it looks like tesla.com hasn't been updated to reflect the expansion this year from 16 V2 to 16 V2 + 8 V3 (supercharge.info is correct) but presumably when it does, I will need to select Tesla Supercharger (CCS) as a charging option for it to be visible.

I don't know how widespread the issue is across Europe but potentially one to watch if Tesla start expanding existing V2 sites by adding V3 chargers, as they have done at Heathrow.

I have a non-CCS Model S and noticed that, if I uncheck Tesla Supercharger (CCS), ABRP correctly hides V3 Superchargers on the map and planned routes but also hides certain sites with a mix of V2 and V3. I gather this is probably a limitation of the tesla.com/supercharge.info databases (which just report max charger power) but a potentially problematic annoying wrinkle none-the-less.

In the UK, where I live, it only affects 3 sites (as I write): Manchester (Service Centre), Park Royal (Service Centre) and Heathrow T5. Of these, Heathrow is arguably the most problematic as it serves long distance journeys that include the M25. At the moment it looks like tesla.com hasn't been updated to reflect the expansion this year from 16 V2 to 16 V2 + 8 V3 (supercharge.info is correct) but presumably when it does, I will need to select Tesla Supercharger (CCS) as a charging option for it to be visible.

I don't know how widespread the issue is across Europe but potentially one to watch if Tesla start expanding existing V2 sites by adding V3 chargers, as they have done at Heathrow.
@MarcoRP , do you know about this issue? Do you know if supercharge.info will be updated to indicate different types of Superchargers at each location or will it just always show the highest?

@MarcoRP , do you know about this issue? Do you know if supercharge.info will be updated to indicate different types of Superchargers at each location or will it just always show the highest?

This is a known issue that was raised on the supercharge.info forums a couple of weeks ago.

The structure of the database only allows one speed and one stall count per location, so it can't be changed without major effort and database changes.

For the time being, editors decided as a temporary solution to list the *total* number of stalls, and the *fastest* rated speed of any of them.

An option is to add two site entries for each location, one with V2 and one with V3, but that's more a workaround than a fix. Many other places use the data at supercharge.info for other purposes. It may lead to different issues in the future.

As for the immediate ABRP issue - ABRP imports from other locations other that supercharge.info - one of which is OpenChargeMap. The (few) problem sites could be added there? ABRP also has some in-built smarts to identify duplicate locations from different sources and merge them, but it should take the most complete data.

As for the supercharge.info issue - @BlueShift has put the source code on github so anyone with the relevant web design/coding skills is welcome to submit a patch for this!

Has anyone else had issues with ABRP crashing the infotainment when left up on the car screen while driving?

I have a more-or-less readily reproducible problem of that nature. On a long drive, leaving the ABRP page up & running (I find tracking the predicted vs actual graph interesting), at some point the whole screen becomes unresponsive. Sometimes I get the "Touchscreen Unresponsive" error, others not--but, all touchscreen & thumbwheel functions stop working. Doing a reset (both thumbwheels) shakes it loose again--but, it will repeat if I again go into ABRP.

I don't know if it's related (somehow a bandwidth issue??), but if I'm streaming music, it seems to be worse. Whether or not I'm streaming, ABRP is painfully slow in the car, too....

Has anyone else had issues with ABRP crashing the infotainment when left up on the car screen while driving?

I have a more-or-less readily reproducible problem of that nature. On a long drive, leaving the ABRP page up & running (I find tracking the predicted vs actual graph interesting), at some point the whole screen becomes unresponsive. Sometimes I get the "Touchscreen Unresponsive" error, others not--but, all touchscreen & thumbwheel functions stop working. Doing a reset (both thumbwheels) shakes it loose again--but, it will repeat if I again go into ABRP.

I don't know if it's related (somehow a bandwidth issue??), but if I'm streaming music, it seems to be worse. Whether or not I'm streaming, ABRP is painfully slow in the car, too....

It's not just ABRP, it's a memory leak with the browser (probably related to the javascript/AJAX calls). I usually see it manifested as "pops" in the audio (usually bluetooth to my phone), as well as an un-or-non responsive UI. If I don't reboot it myself, usually in a couple of minutes the system will hang and it will reboot itself. This is on MCU1.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H