Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

a better trip planner where to put the link

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
someone on this forum sent me to a better trip planner. it is way better than Tesla's tool for planning ahead.

they do not have any customer service so I thought I would ask this group.

if I have the online tool give me a link, how I get the link into my Tesla navigation?

Tesla’s online trip planner is just a sales tool. It’s not useful for real world planning, as you see. Use the car navigation system to get real routing. I also use the Tesla destination charging website to plan hotels to stay at where I can start the next day with a full charge.

I finally got my internet to work. I clicked on the link in the calendar invite and it pulled up a better trip planner in the internet browser. I was expecting to be able to use a better trip planner to navigate. is there a way to actually navigate the car using the third party system?

Abetterrouteplanner is simply a web site. So to the extent you can display a web page along side the in car navigation, yes. For me personally, I tend to prefer using an iPad for abetterrouteplanner rather than tie up half the big screen. But that is just me.

I submit that the emphasis of abetterrouteplanner, is on the “planner” part, as opposed to the active routing/navigation. It can perform some of those functions of course, but once you have figured out your route and know where you are going to stop, it is not as important to have the web page displayed in front of you continuously.

All I need now is a software update so my browser will work at all. 2018.21.9 just sucks on my brand new X. Tesla should be embarrassed. Service scheduled for next week.

can I change the stops in a road trip on the Teslas navigation based upon what I planned for a better trip planner?

In other words can I customize the stops I want to make in the Tesla navigation based on what I planned from my home based upon a better route planner?

Last edited:
I suppose you could try, but I am not sure what the advantage would be. I would simply consider what each tool knows about your trip, your vehicle, charging locations, and adapt. Kind of like using multiple paper maps, back in the day.

I am going to CA from UT on my first road trip in a Tesla. I am looking at the Tesla planning tool and a better route planner, and they are both showing basically the same route, with one difference in the supercharger. I have spent some time looking at the superchargers. Not all superchargers are created the same, so I have determined which ones I want to hit based upon the amenities. There are two instances where Tesla and a better trip planner both tell me to stop at a stop that has almost no amenities, but I know that there is another stop that is only 5-15 miles away that has better amenities. I am assuming that I will be able to have enough charge for the 5-15 miles that are required to get to the better stop.

Is there no way for me to tell Tesla which stops I make (if the stops are very close)? If not, if I pass a stop that was on the route plan, will it automatically tell me to stop at the next one?

If I am going very fast, will the navigation tell me to stop more often?

Is there no way for me to tell Tesla which stops I make (if the stops are very close)? If not, if I pass a stop that was on the route plan, will it automatically tell me to stop at the next one?

There's currently no way points to help with detail trip planning. But if you enter a destination that is outside of your range the on-board computer will automatically advise on the supercharger along the way (if there is one).

If you are concerned about going too fast, watch the trip computer - if you actual consumption line gets below the projected one you need to slow down.

IMG_4173.jpg

Last edited:

Yes to all— the easiest is just to set your destination as the supercharger you prefer to stop at. Then set it for your final destination, or the next supercharger you prefer if you don’t like the stop it gives you.

Hi Dan Utah,

I was worried like you before my first road trip... Using the Tesla's built in navigation -
I did exactly what TexasEV said above: Set your destination to your first desired Supercharger.
While you are charging at the Supercharger, change your destination to the next desired Supercharger.

You may or may not want to charge as little as the Supercharger suggests.
I always added 150 miles of charge which at 75 mph works out to 2 hours of driving.
It worked very well for me and my wife. The breaks that we are supposed to take
every 2 hours to drink, stretch, bathroom, and snack were enforced by the charging schedule.

I arrived at the overnight and final destination more rested and relaxed than in my ICE car,
because of the "enforced" breaks...

Shawn