Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A bit dissapointed with some forum members

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys so... I didn't have the chance to download OS 8 to my X in the first couple weeks and been reading reviews after reviews in this forum about it and frankly after reading all the stuff from the "software design experts" in here I was scared of downloading the new software to be honest. But i did and...

I think all the complaining here was just ridicoulus and do a disservice to other forum readers rather than help. I think the upgrade is amazing. Auto Pilot is smoother than my driving now, do you guys even understand what amounts of software work go into getting AP as perfect as it is now ? The self presenting door now works flawelessly. One of my biggest complaints was that the door would swing open when I was working around the car and I was not planning to actually enter it. They solved it! Then the map and hiding icons... I will give you that some people will want that option (hiding or not hiding) which is fine and Tesla will probably do it but the amounts of criticism I read here about it is insane. The hiding buttons is a great decision to me because Im usually not touching the screen when I drive and that extra map realstate is great when you have the bottom screen in use by a different thing. I will not go into more details and this is not really a review , i'm just wondering who the hell are you critics? You have no idea about software design, either this forum is invaded by trolls and tesla haters or wtf. But i'm just shocked at the levels of criticism 8.0 got when in fact its a phenomenal upgrade :mad:

I can assure you that many of us who dislike the 8.0 UI are neither trolls or Tesla haters. In fact we've been driving Teslas long before you bought yours and have been through many iterations of the firmware. The issue isn't about how AP or other car features work ( I don't even have AP), it's about the user interface. If you don't mind taking two taps to accomplish what a single tap used to do, and don't use USB music, that's fine but don't question our motives for pointing out all the problems we see with the 8.0 design.

I also think it's a great upgrade. Autopilot got a big upgrade and is rock solid in more scenarios than before. Is everything perfect? Of course not. If that was the only point, new software would never ship. Quirks and bugs will be resolved with minor releases, just like with every other software project on earth.

Reactions: Aieukl378
Hey guys so... I didn't have the chance to download OS 8 to my X in the first couple weeks and been reading reviews after reviews in this forum about it and frankly after reading all the stuff from the "software design experts" in here I was scared of downloading the new software to be honest. But i did and...

I think all the complaining here was just ridicoulus and do a disservice to other forum readers rather than help. I think the upgrade is amazing. Auto Pilot is smoother than my driving now, do you guys even understand what amounts of software work go into getting AP as perfect as it is now ? The self presenting door now works flawelessly. One of my biggest complaints was that the door would swing open when I was working around the car and I was not planning to actually enter it. They solved it! Then the map and hiding icons... I will give you that some people will want that option (hiding or not hiding) which is fine and Tesla will probably do it but the amounts of criticism I read here about it is insane. The hiding buttons is a great decision to me because Im usually not touching the screen when I drive and that extra map realstate is great when you have the bottom screen in use by a different thing. I will not go into more details and this is not really a review , i'm just wondering who the hell are you critics? You have no idea about software design, either this forum is invaded by trolls and tesla haters or wtf. But i'm just shocked at the levels of criticism 8.0 got when in fact its a phenomenal upgrade :mad:

THANK YOU!!! I've been fighting this battle since day one although I've basically given up now since so many people are locked into their positions that it doesn't matter what Tesla does anymore. As I've said in countless threads, I know at least 5 people who have Teslas but aren't on this forum, and the really like v8 and have no real complaints about it (no, none of them are USB music users)...

Jeff

I can assure you that many of us who dislike the 8.0 UI are neither trolls or Tesla haters. In fact we've been driving Teslas long before you bought yours and have been through many iterations of the firmware. The issue isn't about how AP or other car features work ( I don't even have AP), it's about the user interface. If you don't mind taking two taps to accomplish what a single tap used to do, and don't use USB music, that's fine but don't question our motives for pointing out all the problems we see with the 8.0 design.

FWP

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18 and cgiGuy
i do agree on the taps issue. its not just two taps, but its also the time waiting for the menu to drop down. normally accidents happen in a split second, and its that split second of watching the menu that can be a liability to tesla in the future.

I'm mixed about it.
I do absolutely agree that we should have the option of auto-hiding the icons or not.

That being said, why are people looking at the screen the first time they're tapping it? It's easy enough to reliably hit the top half without looking. :)

I think all the complaining here was just ridicoulus and do a disservice to other forum readers rather than help.

You need to keep in mind that people tend to come to a forum to complain rather than post how great something is. There's nothing unique about a Tesla forum that changes that basic fact.

I can assure you that many of us who dislike the 8.0 UI are neither trolls or Tesla haters. In fact we've been driving Teslas long before you bought yours and have been through many iterations of the firmware.

That too. I sure miss v.6.2 that came with my non-AP car. It was far superior to all versions since. Just the fact that it saved passwords was huge -- but the list goes on and on.

Reactions: davidc18
I would suspect that there is a large overlap of people who use USB sticks and are on this forum, but I could be wrong.

But if I'm not then it goes without saying that an upgrade which degrades the use of USB would cause people to complain disproportionately here.

Alright, electricity, I'll turn back on my Auto Presenting doors function (which I had turned off soon after getting my X since it was so annoying). If it is still annoying, expect a push back!

I do agree that AP is better. Nags certainly haven't been a problem (I think the nags run on a learning algorithm, either that or my brain is the one that has been learning).

Still waiting for GPS enabled locking so that the car won't auto lock in my garage, better nav, and a browser that doesn't suck and have tons of obvious bugs.

I joined to interact with other owners, not listen to constant whining about minor issues that get fixed with updates.

You joined too late for that. I never thought I'd long for the days when this place ridiculed as being full of Tesla "fanboys".

It would be nice if this was a true motors club where owners love their car, post, and interact.

You can love something and still complain. Too much love here would make me ill -- let's leave that to the gearhead forums - even though I love my car about as much as a man can love a vehicle (that sounds weird and creepy).

But agreed we've gone overboard on the complaint side. I've read posts of people even talking about cancelling their Model 3 reservations after reading threads here.

Reactions: P85DEE
No UI change is complete without the hatters. :)

I'm in the camp that didn't like the change in Map behavior because I felt like people had learned muscle memory when it came to switching apps, and this change messed with that. I didn't complain about this too much because there was an easy work around (holding the app you want to open at the top for a half second or so will open it in the top).

I loved the change in the smoothness of TACC, and I enjoy seeing when it recognizes the car 2 cars ahead of me. I also love how it turns the representation of that car white when that car brakes (at least while AP is on). I haven't seen this is in my car, but there is a video of this behavior. I also like the changes made to the media player for streaming so it's easy for me to switch between those.

But, at the end of the day the bugs numb the excitement. It's atrociously buggy, and has a feeling of being rushed (which I believe was done for good reason). I'm looking forwards to trying the version with bug fixes to see if that doesn't clean some of them up.

I didn't experience any weird AP issues like some people did. I think those people were a bit livid for good reason, and they were just trying to be really straight about it. I'm not entire sure why this happened, but some believe that it cleared the AP tiles cache. So this meant AP wasn't as solid as it normally is.

Exactly...Tesla Motors Club forums have become Tesla whine and complain about issues forum...I joined to interact with other owners, not listen to constant whining about minor issues that get fixed with updates. It would be nice if this was a true motors club where owners love their car, post, and interact.

Wow.

I thought that I was the only person in here to have made this observation.

I understand what you are saying.

I've been around the internet since the 2400 baud days, and I don't think I have ever been amongst any community of enthusiasts centered around any product that I have ever seen in my life, with a proportionately larger population of disgruntled owners vs satisfied owners, than what I've seen in here.

It's nothing short of astounding, especially for a product held in high esteem, and a high level of desirability, by a large segment of the general populace, much of which will never be in a position to own said product.

I often wonder sometimes if I didn't stumble into some ICE centric forum or another when I read some of the content in here.

You joined too late for that. I never thought I'd long for the days when this place ridiculed as being full of Tesla "fanboys".

You can love something and still complain. Too much love here would make me ill -- let's leave that to the gearhead forums - even though I love my car about as much as a man can love a vehicle (that sounds weird and creepy).

But agreed we've gone overboard on the complaint side. I've read posts of people even talking about cancelling their Model 3 reservations after reading threads here.

Yep. We've long ago jumped the shark in here when it comes to complaining.

The "open letters" just by themselves are enough to make you wonder what's next.

Last edited:
Reactions: cclaygo