Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A bit dissapointed with some forum members

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But didn't this thread just add another complaint to the forum? ;) In all seriousness, I haven't been around long enough so I have no sense of the good ol' days. I do know a few idioms though:
  • One man's trash is another man's treasure
  • If the gloves didn't fit, you must acqui...oops wrong forum!
  • One man's pleasure is another man's pain
I'd imagine since the top 2 greatest engineering achievements of the 20th century (Electrification and Automobiles) are merging, folks will have lots to say. I'd also have to believe there's many members who come from Software/Hardware/UX/UI/Eng backgrounds who actually do have a general understand of what's involved in a product release. Now I'm not saying to the extent of building a mass produced, globally compliant automobile, but ya.

Then there's Elon who connects with the community and even encourages negative feedback. This forum is different from past because communication has changed. Even Steve Jobs didn't have a Twitter account...at least I don't think.

All that being said, I just checked the first page thread titles and they all seem pretty normal and typical forum-like.

I do hate the open letter though

Reactions: Blastphemy
i do agree on the taps issue. its not just two taps, but its also the time waiting for the menu to drop down. normally accidents happen in a split second, and its that split second of watching the menu that can be a liability to tesla in the future.

I'm mixed about it.

Have you seen how the map automatically zooms in when reaching a destination ? That is why Tesla decided to hide icons and its more important to me than having to tap twice. I do believe Tesla should give and will give the option since so many people complained.

AP
is smoother changing lanes but is worse than latest 7.1 rev with re to staying in center of Lanes and uncontrolled swerves.

USB
a nightmare ( took me many, many hours to get it usable) with no quick way to scroll alphabetically

XM radio
virtually unusable with outside of favorites, one channel manual scroll only.

Nav:
7.1: could select a point on trip and map would take u there
8.0 capability removed.

• Love
Hey guys so... I didn't have the chance to download OS 8 to my X in the first couple weeks and been reading reviews after reviews in this forum about it and frankly after reading all the stuff from the "software design experts" in here I was scared of downloading the new software to be honest. But i did and...

I think all the complaining here was just ridicoulus and do a disservice to other forum readers rather than help. I think the upgrade is amazing. Auto Pilot is smoother than my driving now, do you guys even understand what amounts of software work go into getting AP as perfect as it is now ? The self presenting door now works flawelessly. One of my biggest complaints was that the door would swing open when I was working around the car and I was not planning to actually enter it. They solved it! Then the map and hiding icons... I will give you that some people will want that option (hiding or not hiding) which is fine and Tesla will probably do it but the amounts of criticism I read here about it is insane. The hiding buttons is a great decision to me because Im usually not touching the screen when I drive and that extra map realstate is great when you have the bottom screen in use by a different thing. I will not go into more details and this is not really a review , i'm just wondering who the hell are you critics? You have no idea about software design, either this forum is invaded by trolls and tesla haters or wtf. But i'm just shocked at the levels of criticism 8.0 got when in fact its a phenomenal upgrade :mad:

After 8 I was like "this new interface is nice" and never really gave it another thought(I don't think I ever even noticed it was "2 taps" or whatever)...until reading the "horrors of the double tap" etc. on this forum. It's such a benign feature the amount of opinion regarding this feature is pretty humorous.

Regarding people on this forum, I'm sure there are trolls etc. but also many intelligent folks with advanced degrees whose profession may require them to be very detail oriented. This may carry over into the "real world" as being over analytical over things such as "1 tap or 2" etc.
In a regular conversation this type of thing would be shut down quick(can you imagine having a conversation with someone complaining about tapping a screen twice in their 100K Tesla?...don't think it would be a long one)

On the forum there are no social cues as in a normal conversation so it goes on and on and on.....and is public...and doesn't go away...
Maybe we should counter this with more positive threads e.g. "New Tesla Button Hiding Interface Incredible!!!

AP
is smoother changing lanes but is worse than latest 7.1 rev with re to staying in center of Lanes and uncontrolled swerves.

USB
a nightmare ( took me many, many hours to get it usable) with no quick way to scroll alphabetically

XM radio
virtually unusable with outside of favorites, one channel manual scroll only.

Nav:
7.1: could select a point on trip and map would take u there
8.0 capability removed.

I have no idea what you are talking about staying on lanes. I see no difference, and used AP alot before and now. The rest on your list i dont use.

Regarding all the negativities... people are simply telling the truth although some exaggerated more than others, but understand all the frustrations are caused by Tesla. Service center appointment being weeks and months away, parts being weeks away, all add up to what one can tolerate.

They broke USB device player in 8.0. and that's a fact. Their engineers coded the UI in their lab with dual or quad monitors, without verifying how it works while driving. Good changes are welcomed but at the same time you can't deny the fact they also messed up other stuff.

You also can't deny the fact that there are members who wrote up guides to help remedy the USB issue, retagging with track in title, etc. but seriously, why do we have to deal with that? Just because it's Tesla we should all be more tolerate and embrace all the changes they make, whether good or bad?

Exactly...Tesla Motors Club forums have become Tesla whine and complain about issues forum...I joined to interact with other owners, not listen to constant whining about minor issues that get fixed with updates. It would be nice if this was a true motors club where owners love their car, post, and interact.

So open a happy thread about something. :D Forums, not just this one, are usually skewed on complaints vs compliments. It is no different here. Most love their car, but there is certainly room to talk about the shortcomings...;)

I spent 17 years with HP Enterprise as the knowledge manager rep on the design team for servers. One of my duties was to interpret client feedback through calls, forums, or other means to determine what feedback deserves addressing by the team. It was observed as others have indicated that folks only comment when they are unhappy. So, to look through the weeds, we had to compare complaints to units shipped to get a measure and threshold on what is deemed important to fix. Since HPs best designers are always designing towards the future, problems with existing product at times would really have to be obvious and cause pain to HP before they were addressed. I am sure Tesla works in a similar fashion. Minor issues or perceived issues or irritations would sit in a que. So, there is always a balance of resourcing future innovative work with great potential for creating revenue vs. resourcing past technology that has past their revenue peaks. The risk for supporting old tech was customer sat. So, it was always a balancing act.

Wow.

It's nothing short of astounding, especially for a product held in high esteem, and a high level of desirability, by a large segment of the general populace, much of which will never be in a position to own said product.

The general populace will never have access to a Ferrari, supermodel, airplanes,....Sometimes, things are different from far away. TMC members who have these vehicles are able to experience them on a daily basis, and are more more aware of the tremendous pros, as well as the cons. Some things look good from afar, but far from good up close: FWD gorgeous and eyecatching, daily use are frustrating to quite a few owners (interfere with trim pieces, hitting other objects when closing,...), auto presenting handles = that's so cool, I'd love it on my car, looks so hi tech, but they may not present, or get stuck,....

Last edited:
Those of us who have driven the Model S for years know how good the user interface can be. 6.2 was the best firmware version to date (at least for the classic non-AP cars). We're still enthusiastic about driving the best EV by far, but after expressing that enthusiasm here for several years there's not much more to say about it, so we focus on what can be improved.

Reactions: David99
8 has been the worst update over the last 2.5 years. Since I updated
my navigation almost constantly 'initializes' which means it won't tell me where to go.
my dash screen is very laggy and slow and totally froze 5 times already.
reduced usability in several ways.

Feel free to call me a troll or hater.

Sorry for your issues, have it checked at cause non of that is happening to mine and its the same software.

I have no idea what you are talking about staying on lanes. I see no difference, and used AP alot before and now. The rest on your list i dont use.

Well, you're wrong. I've driven over 12,000 miles on I95 and I40 in NC with 7.1 & 8.0 and with 8.0 the car is just not as stable in the lane. Read some other posts on this site and you'll see others noting that as well.

re: the rest of your reply.....smh at your post....candidly since you don't care about Nav, music or XM your post's importance is useless to many X drivers. Perhaps in your self-centered world in doesn't matter but....for many drivers, having a competent AP, Nav and a usable music interface (in XM's case it's a paid service that is virtually unusable since upgrade) is all the difference between satisfaction and unhappiness.

...the upgrade is amazing. Auto Pilot is smoother than my driving now, do you guys even understand what amounts of software work go into getting AP as perfect as it is now ?...i'm just shocked at the levels of criticism 8.0 got when in fact its a phenomenal upgrade :mad:

Totally agree. At first I will say 8.0 seemed to have some wobbly steering in places in So Cal vs 7.1 but all that is almost fixed and in all other ways autopilot drives better than 7.1 and like you said - better than I do in most cases. It also interacts with surrounding traffic better in terms of sensing when cars are moving into my lane. It seems to see further into the distance, braking sooner and smoother for slowing traffic than it did before as well.