TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

A bolt has gone awol

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Msjulie, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

According to the records I got with the car, the PEM was replaced this June (2016). Poking around today for unrelated reasons (radio/camera) I found the following and am a tad concerned. Have to say not a single error code or anything so it's only bad because now I know about it..

Driver's side of PEM box

[​IMG]noBolt

The cable I suspect should be secured here

[​IMG]cableInTheBreeze

Anyone know the bolt/threads? Should I be worried much? If I ring up a SC I'm guessing it's weeks before they do anything anyway... since it's just a ground (guessing but looks like it), if I figure out the bolt should I just put it in myself? Little bit of lock-tight?

Thanks for opinions/information

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I think you should go back to the Service Center that did the work and complain. You shouldn't have to fix their sloppy work. Which Service Center did you use?

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Definitley a grounding strap. I would get the service center to repair, unless you are a long ways away or something.

4. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

It was done for the previous owner, some place around Los Angeles so kinda a hike for me being in the San Fran Bay Area

If I knew the size it does not look that tough to do...

5. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Just pull into your local service center and show then.

6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

And here I thought a Chevy Bolt EV had been stolen or was lost in transit. :)

• Funny x 9
  7. SUMD

SUMD Member

lol ditto

• Like x 5
  8. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

So i went outside, we have these random collections of bolts and nuts (not chevy's!) and the first one I picked up had the right thread. Never happens.

I cranked it plenty snug; little tight for the ratchet wrench + socket but all good now. Thanks for the suggests though :)

• Like x 1
  9. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

The size is M5 or M6 is my guess or evetaly M4
    After look zoom on the pics the stands 5.0 on the cable conector so M5 is biggest risk

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

If you look at the pic there was threadlocker / blue loctite on it originally.

11. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

IMG_6828.JPG Well I found another 'short cut' the service folks took when replacing the PEM; I had a lock washer and nut that fit... I hope when the 3.0 upgrade is done, the folks are a little more concerned with putting all the bits back..

• Like x 1
  12. SUMD

SUMD Member

Unbelievable.

I really hope you're sharing this with someone at Tesla.

13. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

I sent the first 2 pics to my friend there; to be honest, it doesn't surprise me. Techs are techs and some seem really concerned with putting every part back but if it won't fall out if a bolt here or there is missing... well I've seen that from every kind of service center :(

14. SUMD

SUMD Member

That's rather unfortunate :-(

Having heard how well Tesla treats (and pays) their techs, I would have hoped that there would be a universal, general sense of pride in what they do. Sure, a job is a job at the end of the day, but we all know there are jobs, and then there are jobs. And I'm not one who subscribes to the old adage "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life".

15. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

I'm saving all my pics for the 3.0 update or next June's yearly, what ever comes first...

16. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Hence why I've been doing all my repair work myself since was a kid. It's not their car so its just another one down the line. After a while I'm sure it becomes mundane and boring, the put some things together, walk over to another car, work on that, come back later and forgot where the left off. Honestly, people make mistakes, even I do working on cars now and then. But at least I am the only person to blame and I can come back and ask why or how I did that so I won't make the same mistake again.

And when it comes to safety areas, I try to double / triple check my work since my life is on the line.

• Like x 1
  17. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Loctite is not normally used on ground lugs. It can act as an insulator to some degree.

• Informative x 1
  18. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

Yeah I ended up not doing that; the bolt had a flex lock washer on it - I torqued it as snug as I dared. I suppose given it's been off for potentially 6months, even a less than perfect electrical connection is better than it was floating in the air...

• Like x 1
  19. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Good point. Odd Tesla use that, you can see it where it ran to the base and its up in the thread area as well.