Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A bolt has gone awol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the records I got with the car, the PEM was replaced this June (2016). Poking around today for unrelated reasons (radio/camera) I found the following and am a tad concerned. Have to say not a single error code or anything so it's only bad because now I know about it..

Driver's side of PEM box

noBolt

The cable I suspect should be secured here

cableInTheBreeze

Anyone know the bolt/threads? Should I be worried much? If I ring up a SC I'm guessing it's weeks before they do anything anyway... since it's just a ground (guessing but looks like it), if I figure out the bolt should I just put it in myself? Little bit of lock-tight?

Thanks for opinions/information

IMG_6828.JPG
Well I found another 'short cut' the service folks took when replacing the PEM; I had a lock washer and nut that fit... I hope when the 3.0 upgrade is done, the folks are a little more concerned with putting all the bits back..

Reactions: DiamondHands
I sent the first 2 pics to my friend there; to be honest, it doesn't surprise me. Techs are techs and some seem really concerned with putting every part back but if it won't fall out if a bolt here or there is missing... well I've seen that from every kind of service center :(

That's rather unfortunate :-(

Having heard how well Tesla treats (and pays) their techs, I would have hoped that there would be a universal, general sense of pride in what they do. Sure, a job is a job at the end of the day, but we all know there are jobs, and then there are jobs. And I'm not one who subscribes to the old adage "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life".

I Techs are techs and some seem really concerned with putting every part back but if it won't fall out if a bolt here or there is missing... well I've seen that from every kind of service center :(

Hence why I've been doing all my repair work myself since was a kid. It's not their car so its just another one down the line. After a while I'm sure it becomes mundane and boring, the put some things together, walk over to another car, work on that, come back later and forgot where the left off. Honestly, people make mistakes, even I do working on cars now and then. But at least I am the only person to blame and I can come back and ask why or how I did that so I won't make the same mistake again.

And when it comes to safety areas, I try to double / triple check my work since my life is on the line.

Reactions: Msjulie