Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A bunch of media/music questions as I (impatiently) wait for delivery....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I'm sure many here can relate, I spend too much time scanning the forums as I try to learn about my MS which won't be delivered for 3 more weeks...

Anyway, I have a couple of pretty simple questions about playing media/music in the MS that I need to be educated on. (I'm surprised with the amount of "research" I have done I'm still confused. I thank you in advance for your indulgence...).

[1] I understand from my iPhone (5) or iPod Touch, I can stream music via Bluetooth. In my current car (BMW 5 Series, Bluetooth streaming doesn't allow for album art or searching (via the car interface) with only back and forward controls available. Is this the same with the MS?

[2] Surprisingly, I've seen relatively little mention of connecting these devices via USB. I assume that works (and I would guess with better sound quality and album art); can you search for songs/artists?

[3] From what I understand, you can copy your itunes library (or part of it) to a USB thumb drive, but, depending on how that is done, may gives you no play lists or searchability?

[4] Slacker sounds like it's everyone's favorite, with excellent sound quality and content. Does the MS come with a trial of the Premium or Music Plus subscriptions? From my experience with XM, sounds like Slacker is way better since it's interactive (you can ask to play specific songs/albums (with the Premium subscription). Not sure why I'd even want to activate XM when Slacker is available.

Thanks for your indulgence as I spend these very difficult weeks continually checking my email or MyTesla to look for an indication that my car is going to magically be ready 2 weeks early....

:wink:

[1] I understand from my iPhone (5) or iPod Touch, I can stream music via Bluetooth. In my current car (BMW 5 Series, Bluetooth streaming doesn't allow for album art or searching (via the car interface) with only back and forward controls available. Is this the same with the MS?

Album art appears to be done from the internet, not from your collection.

[3] From what I understand, you can copy your itunes library (or part of it) to a USB thumb drive, but, depending on how that is done, may gives you no play lists or searchability?

That is correct at this time, but remember you will get periodic updates of the software which will include new features, so it's not likely to be true in the future. The Model S is not like any other car where "if it isn't there when you purchase it, it won't ever be there".

[4] Slacker sounds like it's everyone's favorite, with excellent sound quality and content. Does the MS come with a trial of the Premium or Music Plus subscriptions? From my experience with XM, sounds like Slacker is way better since it's interactive (you can ask to play specific songs/albums (with the Premium subscription). Not sure why I'd even want to activate XM when Slacker is available.

It comes with a Slacker trial, but using a thumb drive with FLAC (or other supported lossless format) gives much better sound quality. I don't use Slacker myself because the songs that I like just aren't there.

Yes, same with the ModelS. I believe it is a limitation of the phone Bluetooth profile.

[2] Surprisingly, I've seen relatively little mention of connecting these devices via USB. I assume that works (and I would guess with better sound quality and album art); can you search for songs/artists?

USB connectivity is not available at present. It is a requested feature, but I think it is low on Tesla's priority list.

Correct.

Regarding #2, my DS told me that there is no connectivity or control via USB--only charging. I have not verified this.
Regarding #4, I believe the car comes with a 3 month trial. However, I have not found a way to fine tune a slacker channel the way that you can on the slacker app.
The one other thing that I would share is that the media app (particularly when playing from USB) does not offer some common functions like "shuffle" or "repeat". Hope that they had these in a future release.

As I'm sure many here can relate, I spend too much time scanning the forums as I try to learn about my MS which won't be delivered for 3 more weeks...

Anyway, I have a couple of pretty simple questions about playing media/music in the MS that I need to be educated on. (I'm surprised with the amount of "research" I have done I'm still confused. I thank you in advance for your indulgence...).

Thanks for your indulgence as I spend these very difficult weeks continually checking my email or MyTesla to look for an indication that my car is going to magically be ready 2 weeks early....

:wink:

Thanks, all, for your comments.

It all seems a little disappointing, actually, for a car that is so technologically advanced to have these various limitations imposed on its entertainment system (especially when things like iPod/iPhone in-car integration are already well-established features in cars, from low-to high-end.

So if I understand correctly, the only way I can listen to my own music is via Bluetooth (which won't allow me to search for what I want to hear from the touchscreen, or via a USB drive (but not an iPod) (which doesn't let you search, shuffle music, or use playlists)?

So if I understand correctly, the only way I can listen to my own music is via Bluetooth (which won't allow me to search for what I want to hear from the touchscreen, or via a USB drive (but not an iPod) (which doesn't let you search, shuffle music, or use playlists)?

No. You can export your songs to a thumb drive. Then you can search for whatever you like. You aren't stuck using BT.

Just because the car comes with functionality that's not as advanced as we'd like . . . doesn't mean you can't simply do the same thing as in any car with an FM radio. I use my iPod with an FM broadcast/charger cable, plugged into the "cigarette lighter" outlet; there are also Bluetooth dongles for iPods (I don't have one). I usually listen to audiobooks from my iPod, but also use playlists. It Just Works, like it did in my last car The cable reaches to the little shelf under the giant Model S screen.

I also use Slacker a bit, and my other half actually turned on a -gasp!- regular radio station yesterday, which confused me. ;-) It's almost like I forget the car had a radio (other than for my iPod-FM stuff).

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Also, if you have a smart phone with Bluetooth, since it's just streaming the audio, you can use playlists on your device. I've streamed (usually accidentally due to a bug in Tesla's software...) from my iPhone and used the iPhone's music controls. You're not stuck using the car's controls if you're streaming! People seem to forget this, judging by comments above. Bluetooth may be limited, but the device you stream from is as powerful as ever--sure, not quite as convenient as using the giant Telsa screen, I grant you. ;-) I'm hoping Tesla adds some iPhone (etc.) integration eventually (much-rumored).

How does one search for songs on a USB/thumb drive? I see a "Search Slacker" option, but nothing for the USB drive.

With the thumb drive you press the music icon button then browse, and select by song, artist, album, favourites, etc. I don't know about using voice command as I've never tried it.

I use of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00822GHEQ/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

buffalo.png

I ripped most of my albums to FLAC format. The premium sound system sounds a lot better with FLAC than with lossy formats, especially lower frequencies (bass). I have the folders organized by artist/album so I can quickly browse to anything. Technically there's no known playlist format that works AFAIK. In addition, I also haven't figured out how to get album art to show for these album folders. (anyone?)

I got bored of slacker real quick. Slacker stations play the same songs over and over. Plus it would take several seconds, sometimes 30-60 seconds between each song. Sometimes it would just pause forever. 10+ minutes and still nothing. 3G connectivity seemed fine, so I don't know what the deal with that is.

The search voice command to play a specific title on slacker that once worked when I originally got the car no longer works. I have no idea why that no longer works. I guess it was a gimmick?

However, I actually prefer the tune-in internet radio stations. There are so many more stations on there, and it has a lot of my favorite internet radio stations, especially all the DI.FM stations. If I do listen to internet radio, that's it. Otherwise, I'm listening to one of the hundreds of FLAC albums on my 1TB drive (which works flawlessly).

I got bored of slacker real quick. Slacker stations play the same songs over and over. Plus it would take several seconds, sometimes 30-60 seconds between each song. Sometimes it would just pause forever. 10+ minutes and still nothing. 3G connectivity seemed fine, so I don't know what the deal with that is.

It's terrible! I hope Tesla comes up with another alternative to Slacker--I hate it.

The premium sound system sounds a lot better with FLAC than with lossy formats, especially lower frequencies (bass).

I just ripped one of my CDs using FLAC and played it on the premium sound system via the USB drive. The sound is far, far better than the 256kbps AAC format I have been using. The bass is clear and punchy. Time to rip the entire CD collection again. Thanks for the tip.

But can you do this if you buy from iTunes???
There's a lot of debate about whether anyone can *actually* tell the diff between 256k from iTunes and FLAC. The quality from iTunes sounds great to me /shrug. I wouldn't bother even if I had the original CD's, which I don't since I downloaded most of my stuff from iTunes.

I will probably just dump the playlists I like onto a Thumb Drive and call it done.

There's a lot of debate about whether anyone can *actually* tell the diff between 256k from iTunes and FLAC. The quality from iTunes sounds great to me /shrug. I wouldn't bother even if I had the original CD's, which I don't since I downloaded most of my stuff from iTunes.

I will probably just dump the playlists I like onto a Thumb Drive and call it done.

Can't you only do this once (or some limited amount) from iTunes?