Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Clicking Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mobile service guy decided to place sticky padded tape to all areas on the inside of the air vent. He did a thorough job and took about an hour to do it. I honestly haven’t noticed the cracking noise since. He said if it returns I would need to take it to the SC for further diagnosis.

For me, this was caused by the trim pieces on both ends of wood dash trim. It appears that the clip glued to the wood trim is getting tightly coupled with the plastic piece and movement caused by expansion/contraction due to HVAC is making popping sound.

You can try remove those trim pieces to see if it fixes the issue. If so, just add some fabric insulation of any kind to fix. I have used a wire loom tape which has some fabric on already.

419341883.png
IMG_20190622_113435.jpg
IMG_20190622_113825.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Mine is making the same clicking noise but like you said it goes away after a few minutes. Those side panels also squeak when the ac is on so maybe it's all related.

I tried taking it in for service, but of course it was a hot day and I used the ac all the way there... then the technician couldn't here the problem and told me I would need to come back for a longer diagnosis.

Maybe I'll get the courage to do what shjin did?

Mine does the same, and also goes away after a few minutes. It absolutely sounds like plastic expansion/contraction sounds. Even my Mitsubishi split heatpump wall-mounted indoor units make all sorts of plastic-creaking sounds at times depending on the temperature of the airflow. Not really bothered by it in the car, - just an observation.

Mine does the same, and also goes away after a few minutes. It absolutely sounds like plastic expansion/contraction sounds. Even my Mitsubishi split heatpump wall-mounted indoor units make all sorts of plastic-creaking sounds at times depending on the temperature of the airflow. Not really bothered by it in the car, - just an observation.

Very true, but why the discrepancy with other model 3s not hearing a clicking sound. Do I have a faulty ac unit, did they forget to add a washer or something?

After a year of ownership I kept hearing a whistling sound whenever it rained, until I realized there was a peice of molding low on the dash that was never pushed in. Easy fix but still a quality control failure

Very true, but why the discrepancy with other model 3s not hearing a clicking sound. Do I have a faulty ac unit, did they forget to add a washer or something?

After a year of ownership I kept hearing a whistling sound whenever it rained, until I realized there was a peice of molding low on the dash that was never pushed in. Easy fix but still a quality control failure

Na. Every piece of plastic is different in every car. It's not possible that they're exactly the same. If you ever remove the wood-grain/white aluminum dash piece, you'll see that there's a lot going on there in the back. Plastic can just be funny, and some cars will have more expansion/contraction sounds than others.

I use my example of the A/C units in my house. I have seven of them. Some of them are louder than others in terms of those expansion/contraction sounds.