Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Compressor finally failed. But $3400??!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You disagree with his post about the ac being a crucial part of battery cooling. Care to elaborate on why you disagree and provide proof. As it was explained to me was that the ac does in fact play a crucial part in battery temperature.

I do not disagree that AC is important for cooling the pack. I do disagree with the stated failure modes, 24/7 operation, and claim of being safety critical, for the reason I mentioned.

If a pack gets too warm the car will cut power to the point of shutting off or reduce charge rate to the point of cutting off.
A pack that is not being thermally regulated in a normal environment (sub 120F) while disconnected, will not short, burn, or otherwise create a safety hazard.

I do not disagree that AC is important for cooling the pack. I do disagree with the stated failure modes, 24/7 operation, and claim of being safety critical, for the reason I mentioned.

If a pack gets too warm the car will cut power to the point of shutting off or reduce charge rate to the point of cutting off.
A pack that is not being thermally regulated in a normal environment (sub 120F) while disconnected, will not short, burn, or otherwise create a safety hazard.
Thank you. I appreciate your response as I'm sure many others do as well.

AC only cools the pack over 104 (might be off by a degree or two). This happens doing supercharging and during aggressive driving in higher temps.
I live in NC and I suspect my battery has never hit 104 in my garage. While we have hit 104 (air temp) probably once since I got the car, I am sure the battery didn't actually get up that high because of fairly high thermal mass. I park in the sun and the interior gets to 120 and I have never come out to the car actually running the a/c to cool the battery (or noticed any range loss). The battery is down to 80 at night in the heat of summer and the mass keeps it below 104 even in the sun.
So I disagreed because the a/c does not actually work harder (or at least not much) than an ICE car. Sure there might be a small amount of time that it does cool the battery but it also doesn't have to deal with the heat removal of an ICE engine.
Now live in AZ - sure. CA coast (highest density of Tesla's) - nope. Norway - nope. The Netherlands - nope.
2015, 75k miles. Original compressor.
Have replaced several compressors in the 90s.

Tesla discovered something that indicates otherwise from a series of cars that caught fire - not even charging, just sitting parked (in some of the fires they had been sleeping in a garage for days). Their response was limiting SOC artificially below what was paid for, reducing charge speeds, reducing regen, and keeping the pack cooling system running for days on end. It's entirely beleivable that one of the "sick" batteries Tesla nerfed with batterygate would have caught fire if charged up and removed from a car, considering Tesla's responses to those fires.

The current hypothesis for this problem is lithium dendrites, they can be caused by fast Supercharging which explains chargegate speed reductions. Once they are formed, they can cause a fire at any time by slowly heating up the cell until it reaches an unstoppable cascade, but cells with dendrites are more likely to warm up at high states of charge, and that explains batterygate reducing capacity. Every older car was chargegate limited to stop more dendrites from forming and cars that had dendrites already detected had batterygate capacity limits imposed - all to stop the battery from catching fire randomly.

Last edited:
Tesla discovered something that indicates otherwise from a series of cars that caught fire - not even charging, just sitting parked (in some of the fires they had been sleeping in a garage for days). Their response was limiting SOC artificially below what was paid for, reducing charge speeds, reducing regen, and keeping the pack cooling system running for days on end. It's entirely beleivable that one of the "sick" batteries Tesla nerfed with batterygate would have caught fire if charged up and removed from a car, considering Tesla's responses to those fires.

The current hypothesis for this problem is lithium dendrites, they can be caused by fast Supercharging which explains chargegate speed reductions. Once they are formed, they can cause a fire at any time by slowly heating up the cell until it reaches an unstoppable cascade, but cells with dendrites are more likely to warm up at high states of charge, and that explains batterygate reducing capacity. Every older car was chargegate limited to stop more dendrites from forming and cars that had dendrites already detected had batterygate capacity limits imposed - all to stop the battery from catching fire randomly.

Yeah, I was thinking of a normal, healthy pack. AC to avoid thermal runaway is an interesting edge case. I wonder if the radiator and coolant alone could pull enough heat away in that situation.

i wouldn't be surprised that an increase in failure of AC units for models affected by the May 2019 update imposing charge rate and battery capacity (batterygate chargegate) are related. Our 2015 AC has recently failed and we're nervously waiting for our SC appointment in anticipation of yet another exorbitant repair cost...mcu failed earlier this year, and a coolant leak in the battery....and...and....
Since the 2019 "update", that IMO is apparently to avoid warranty issues in the guise of safety, the fans will run excessively regardless of the time of year and ambient temperature in our garage. Fans will run from a period of minutes to several hours. I've expressed my fan concerns verbally at the SC previously along with disappointment at the artificially reduced capacity and charge rate, however with nothing documented i'm sure we'll be out of luck. Is this fuse issue a known item that should be considered a defect that should be covered regardless of warranty status? Similar to the $2 paddle gear in the door motors that repeatedly wear out and require replacement?
Did Rasmussen v Tesla ever proceed further? Is there similar action being considered in other countries?

I just got my ac compressor failed too on my 2016 Model X Signature P100D. They quoted me about the same. This is not rocket science and o honestly hate to say that this kind of technology is plug and play. I did a firmware upgrade and all hell broke loose. My doors and windows are not working right. The charger port and door sensors messed up, the supercharger events now are frequented by the message that the ac will be lowered in output. I can’t wait to see the competition out there! Reminds me of the Japanese!