Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Compressor Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my 2016 75D 4 weeks ago and I started hearing this very loud buzzing sound too when the car is stopped (AC on) or driving very slowly and its fairly warm outside. After driving at regular highway speeds it stops. I guess I need to get an appointment at my local SC soon.

Checking in with my 2017 Model X. Started getting a loud, high-pitched whine with the A/C a couple of weeks ago. We live in Hawaii and use it daily. This sound is very high-pitched and different than the standard A/C sound. I recorded a video and the SC ordered the compressor based on that. Hopefully getting it fixed soon. It would be unfortunate to lose charging or driving ability.

Very. It increases in pitch as the system ramps up. It is loud enough to drown out the normal AC sound and be heard clearly inside the car or in the house. Prior to this, you could hear the AC running, but it had sounded just like a loud fan. This is a much more obnoxious noise.

Mine does the same, and was "not reproducible" when the SC had it. The loaner I had made the same noise but it was much less noticeable and blended into the din of the fans and such. It is NOT that industrial fan sound you hear at the charging stations.

Reactions: JaseW
Almost three years with my S now and I have totally blanked this issue from my mind and it has gotten better with little to no sound of whining motor for AC compressor.

I have discovered Auto setting is best, 71-73 degrees is best and the sound comes faintly at stops like everyone and leaves upon depression of the go pedal.

Also, this week clicking sound under dash upon entry and goes away before you close the door, videoed it, sent it to Tesla Ranger, its mixing actuator for AC recirculation. Now its stuck on full recirc. The AC has never in three years could I say ever worked great.

He said most likely the Gear for the mixer was out of time since forever and I was never getting the full value of AC on short trips. I would get 85 loaners and the air would fly out at me. Now my car does this and its broken in 94 degree heat I'm turning the temp up beyond 73 because I'm cold.

He is ordering parts, Gear and actuator to fix the clicking and the timing of the gear as well. Lets see what the end result is. This car was showroom and guessing it failed way before I got the car. I thought it was just Range mode doing its thing perhaps. Now my car is new to me again.

• Informative
Reactions: cantbechanged
Mine sounds like a bunch of loud "crickets". Not immediately upon start-up, but whenever I come back from a drive and open the door in the garage, I hear it pretty loud. The service center says it's normal.
Thought I'd provide an update on this... Turns out it was the driver side AC condenser fan. After a few minutes of running, it always developed this loud "cricket" sound.

The Fremont Service Manager couldn’t hear it, declared it as a “non-issue” and showed no motivation to fix it. After multiple complaints, a technician volunteered to “blow-out the bearing”, but that made no difference.

Last week I had the Frunk out in search of a different noise (which I was able to eliminate). While doing so, I realized I had decent access to the AC condenser fan shroud from behind. Since I could not see the fan itself, I decided to soak the fan core with WD-40. After all, what was there to lose at this point?

Well, it seems to have worked. I have not heard the “cricket” noise since. The fan is now almost as quiet as the one on the other side. Let’s hope this will last!!!

Its just sad that I had to figure this out - not the trained techs during Warranty…

Reactions: wegortw
Last week I had the Frunk out in search of a different noise (which I was able to eliminate). While doing so, I realized I had decent access to the AC condenser fan shroud from behind. Since I could not see the fan itself, I decided to soak the fan core with WD-40. After all, what was there to lose at this point?
Could you explain a bit how you were able to reach the fan to hit it with the spray? I have the same issue and but couldn't find a way to reach the fan hub from above. Does taking out the frunk tub allow access?

As an update, the spray didn't really work. Even hitting the fan hub directly the sound would come back in a few minutes. I ended up getting the fan (which is part of the fan/condenser as an assembly, requires draining AC) for $650.

Meant to get it replaced much sooner but Tesla service gaslit me about it for months. Tried multiple service centers and the service writers would just look at me dumbstruck when I told them what part specifically was acting up. Despite telling them this, they would ignore me and booked me in for service and then tell me to come back weeks later because the part wasn't available. Big waste of time. Happy it's quiet now though.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Thought I'd provide an update on this... Turns out it was the driver side AC condenser fan. After a few minutes of running, it always developed this loud "cricket" sound.

The Fremont Service Manager couldn’t hear it, declared it as a “non-issue” and showed no motivation to fix it. After multiple complaints, a technician volunteered to “blow-out the bearing”, but that made no difference.

Well, it seems to have worked. I have not heard the “cricket” noise since. The fan is now almost as quiet as the one on the other side. Let’s hope this will last!!!

Its just sad that I had to figure this out - not the trained techs during Warranty…
@IchDochNicht how long did the fix hold?