Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C dash rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue on my 2015 70D. Only when the fan is on 8 or 9+ setting. I haven't mentioned it to service yet, but I have an appointment on Monday. I might mention it to them.

Had the same issue and service replaced the condenser. See below.

Inspect air conditioning operation, found over pressure alerts due to incorrect routing of AC
lines at condenser, This condition can cause a elevated noise level from AC compressor,
AC lines will be correctly routed and condenser replaced to correct over pressure condition.

Have the same same issue. I took it in to get checked/fixed, but they. Couldn't reproduce it \. This was back in early May and it wasn't quite as hot yet. But as it got hotter, it happened more frequently. So one day when it was happening I took it in and had the service tech sit in the car with me. I've got an appointment for next Friday to get this fixed For real this time.

First bad day in the X

@ jdw, if you heard the sound near the end of the recording than I am completely shocked. How is it tha a car of this caliber can sound so awful. I'm embarrased to drive friends around.

It is the same sound, but it could vary in intensity or volume from what I hear - can't tell that from the sound clip. When it is over 30 C it tends to be quite noisy at start and occasionally after that It is more noticeable without any engine noise to mask the compressor. I can moderate/modulate it by setting the auto temp a little higher (maybe 5 degrees cooler than outside) and gradually reducing it rather than setting it 10-15 degrees cooler, preventing the compressor from coming on full tilt.

I just got my X back from the SC for something that might be the same as your issue. I noticed that when the A/C load was high (just getting into the car) I would hear a light rattling that I associated with the A/C operation. It sounded like a rattling heat shield, and it would happen at any speed and while not moving. Here's the SC invoice repair note for mine. I've only had the vehicle back for a day, but haven't noticed the sound anymore.

checked operation of A/C for noise. during various A/C loads, could not duplicate any abnormal noises at this time. However, due to production date of vehicle, checked routing of A/C lines at condenser. Found lines routed improperly.
Recovered refrigerant. Swapped lines at condenser and recharged A/C system. Performed function check of A/C system and found it operating to manufacturer's specs.

My A/C was cooling properly before (and after) the fix, so it appears that on some vehicles, the routing of the A/C lines were incorrect and might be the cause of the rattling. Hope this helps.