TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

A/C drain on battery

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GreenT, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GreenT

GreenT Member

I am leaving Florida - you know why - and I have a question about A/C.

If the freeway becomes stopped, and I just sit there for hours, I realize that the battery can last for days.

But if I turn on the A/C, how long will it last? 85 battery, 240 when 100%

2. tga

tga Supporting Member

I've seen reports here on TMC that the A/C uses ~1kW. If I turn on climate control with the car plugged in, it draws 4-5A @ 240V. So I'd expect to loose ~1%/hour while stuck in traffic with the A/C on.

3. croman

croman Active Member

It depends. What's the ambient temperature difference? If its 90F and you want the car to go to 65F, it will eat up a lot more energy than 75F ambient and you want 72F.

Secondly, how "heat soaked" is the vehicle? If you've pre-conditioned the cabin, the HVAC will use a lot less energy to maintain the temp.

As an example, on the epic 9.5 hour drive back (should've been 2 hours but for massive traffic) from seeing the eclipse in Carbondale, IL, we used ~7kwh of energy for HVAC. The outside temp was 97F and we desired 75F.

• Informative x 1
  4. tga

tga Supporting Member

How did you determine that 7kWh figure?

5. TIppy

TIppy Active Member

I did a test for a camping in your Tesla thread, and with the car stationary, 90's outside and temp set to 74F, the car was using about 1.35 kw of power combined from the 12 volt and 400 volt battery. The 85 kwh battery has 77 kwh usable, so that would be 57 hours. It's about 4 miles of range for every hour to run the car and a/c.

6. croman

croman Active Member

The system measures average usage for the drivetrain and HVAC per mile. Since we only traveled 10 miles in 4 hours, I was able to do some easy math and assumed the car used 3kwh to move us the 10 miles (it likely used less). That's why I had the ~ sign since I can't be 100% sure. FWIW, my leaf will break out the subsystem usage whereas my far more advanced Tesla just gives me limited data.

7. GreenT

GreenT Member

Car will start out COLD. 1% per hour. Thanks

8. TIppy

TIppy Active Member

That would be 100 hours. It's more like 2% (1.75%) per hour.

9. Nda721

Nda721 Member

Did you make it out greent