Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

Will 5-seat A/C cooling be as effective in high heat (> 95 F) as the 6&7 seat config?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea (yet) if the air circulation is adequate in the back of my 5-seater, but I did take out a USB rechargeable fan I use in the tent when camping & plug it into the 12volt outlet (my adapter). It's small but mighty. I expect it will ensure a more even temp. Plus the dogs like the breeze. :)

I bought this one, but there are many USB fans available on Amazon.
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 10.01.34 AM.png

Interesting new info here on the 5 vs. 6/7 seater HVAC:

Reat seats AC - Model X

I'm going to veer moderately off-topic for a moment (sorry OP).

Thanks for the thread link @AnxietyRanger, in which @essmd proposes a hypothesis (repeatedly) that the AC is the same in 5/6/7 seat configurations and then asserts a bunch of dependencies predicated on this assumption.

It's an interesting hypothesis. I have an alternate.

View media item 117879980g of refrigerant in the DUAL HVAC configuration (6/7 seater)
720g of refrigerant in the SINGLE HVAC configuration (5 seater)

230g compressor oil in the DUAL configuration
140g compressor oil in the SINGLE configuration

The high voltage lines to a substantial additional hardware component, present only on the 6/7 seater & substantially larger volume of refrigerant & compressor oil kinda "occams razor" toward the contrary. Whether or not there are two compressors or one* wouldn't contradict an expectation that the 6/7 seat configuration (DUAL HVAC) might be expected to cool/heat the cabin interior at an increased rate/capacity compared to the 5 seater (SINGLE HVAC).

model-x-high-voltage-cables.png

*I admit I don't have proof either way. I mean no malice & am interested to learn.
Given the AC consumes a substantial quantity of power, it might be a worthy experiment to run the front vs front+rear AC while charger is attached (the current can be measured via IC or app during this operation).

The single HVAC system (5 seat X) has one compressor, two evaporators (one for battery cooling and one in the dash) and one PTC heating element (6 kW in the dash).

The dual HVAC system (6 and 7 seat X) has one compressor, three evaporators (one for battery cooling, one in the dash plus a smaller one in the rear) and two PTC heating elements (6 kW in the dash and 2.5 kW in the rear).

The extra refrigerant required for the dual unit is due to the extra evaporator and the refrigeration lines that run from the front of the vehicle to the rear of the vehicle. The system does not have two compressors.

Reactions: mswlogo
The current Model X order page doesn't say anything about dual AC systems. Does anyone know what the current production situation is?

My six seat and seven seat Signature Xs came with dual systems. I ordered a six seat X in Jan 2017 and it came with dual systems. It never crossed my mind that the five seat flat fold would not have a dual system. My punishment for not noticing the little note saying the six and seven seat had dual air has been to drive a flat fold five seat, in Arizona, with the single AC system. I like everything about the car except the weak AC system. In Arizona the dual system is perfect. The single system doesn't cool the second row sufficiently.

Since being burned (pun intended) on the flat fold five in Jan 2017 I am now reading the order notes more carefully. The current order page says nothing about dual AC.

Does anyone know what the current production configuration is on five, six and seven-seat cars? I won't buy another X without the dual AC. The difference is significant.

I believe that the existence of a second air conditioning system in the 6 and 7 seat configuratins is a myth.

There are additional air vents for the way back seats, but no additional compressor or heat pump. Don't even think there are additional fans installed...just vents.

I believe that the existence of a second air conditioning system in the 6 and 7 seat configuratins is a myth.

There are additional air vents for the way back seats, but no additional compressor or heat pump. Don't even think there are additional fans installed...just vents.

The six and seven seats have a second coil and also a second heat strip.

I owned two sig X, one seven and one six seat. Both have the rear evaporator coils. I ordered a five seat when they came out and failed to notice the foot note that said the six and seven seat had rear AC systems. It never occurred to me that the five seat would have a single front system.

My current question is; what are current production cars shipping with? The order page says nothing about the configuration.

The front only five seat system is terrible compared to the dual system on our six and seven-seat cars. We live in Arizona.