TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

A/C energy usage when parked?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by dweeks, Jun 7, 2016.

1. dweeks

dweeks Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I have a circumstance coming up that will require me to leave the car parked in the PHX sun (hot!) with the air conditioner (72 degrees) running for about one hour (1:00).

I need to know roughly how much electricity is going to be used, as the overall day's drive may be such that range back to the nearest Supercharger could be an issue, if the usage is high.

Does anyone know how to estimate A/C usage on range, ideally in rated miles?
  2. chillaban

chillaban Member

May 5, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    I'd be interested in the answer too….

Due to office space shortage, one of the things I do but am ashamed to admit is go to my ICE car for loud or private calls. Probably that's 1/4 of my gas usage right now, and it's one of the strongest reasons why I went EV for this car.
  3. animorph

animorph Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Play with the range calculator on the Model S page:

Model S | Tesla Motors

At 60 MPH at 110 degrees a 90D runs 293 miles with A/C or 347 Miles without. That's 54 miles lost to A/C in about 5 hours, or 11 miles per hour of A/C. Not quite rated miles, but should be close.
    • Informative x 2
  4. David99

David99 Active Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Brea, Orange County
    Based on my experience I would say about 3 kWh which is very close to what animorph wrote.
  5. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Nov 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Last Friday afternoon it was 99 degrees here in the South Bay. My car was baking away in the parking lot, so I started the A/C from the app and let it run 30 minutes to cool down, then renewed it for another 30 minutes since it shuts off automatically after that length of time and I wasn't quite finished work yet. Pretty sure that took off about 3 rated miles for each 30 minute run, so a total of 6 rated miles to run for an hour. Totally worth it when I got out to the car.
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1