TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A/C Evaporator Drain Location

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by mknox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have noticed that the water from running the a/c seems to drain out somewhere just forward of the left rear wheel. When I first saw the puddle on my garage floor, I thought it must be some sort of battery coolant leak, but it was just water.

This seems odd to me. Every other car I've had drains near the front center of the car. Is the water ducted to the rear, or is it running along the battery somehow? My garage floor is fairly level, and I can state that previous cars' a/c puddles were always near the front of the car, sitting in the same garage. It's not causing me any trouble other than wondering why this would be.

2. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Ditto for me.

Given that my garage floor can get dusty, I had a few anxious moments trying to figure out what that liquid was...

3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

You're safe unless you see blue colored water ..... like I did once.

That is coolant.

4. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

I have a puddle just forward of the passenger-side rear wheel. Seems pretty clear to me, but a little worrying. From under the car, it looks like it's coming from the corner of the battery pack.

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I've had condensation come out in several different places. As silly as it seems, I just figured they dumped it on top of the battery and let it find its own way out.

6. MitchL

MitchL S#945

I emailed ownership about this and they responded with a phone call -- I also get puddles near the driver's rear wheel.

It's definitely AC condensate. In my case, water appears to dribble along the plastic gasket that goes between the battery and the frame and finally falls out near the rear wheel -- if you reach under the car and run your hand along that gasket, you can usually feel the water there.

Other fluids are color coded -- blue for battery, red for transmission/gearbox, etc.

/Mitch.

7. siai47

siai47 Member

As a new owner, I am a little concerned about the water from the A/C evaporator. I put the car on a hoist and tried to see where the water is coming from. I removed the plastic shield under the front suspension to see if I could get a better look. The water drip is more pronounced on the passenger side than the drivers side. My car has the new "tank Armor" and the bulk of the water was dripping out of that location. I removed the rear aluminum extrusion and the black steel shield ahead of it and still couldn't see anything. The water is coming from a higher point and the aluminum frames and components in the area were all wet. On the next rainy day, I am going to remove the frunk liner and see what the evaporator case looks like and if there is any way to attach a hose to it. It really shouldn't be a problem, but over time it could be and I don't like a lot of moisture sitting anywhere. Corrosion and other nasty things happen especially in the humid Florida environment where I live. BTW--most of it is draining though the area where the new "armor" extrusion is located and it doesn't appear to be ponding in the plastic shield. I haven't noticed anything by the rear wheel like the previous poster noted, however, if the evaporator is draining as high as I think it is, it could be running down the top of the battery in which case I would really like to get a drain hose on it.

8. siai47

siai47 Member

I removed the rear of the frunk and was not happy with what I found. There was a lot of corrosion where the evaporator drain is mounted. The drain line terminates on top of an aluminum crossmember that connects the rear lower control arm mount areas together. I know these pictures are large, but I wanted to show the amount of corrosion that occurred in a three week old car and the depth to which it has progressed. I am moving that drain line today!

Attached Files:

9. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

Was there a final fix on this? Did you add a drain hose?
    Has Tesla service made any determination?

10. siai47

siai47 Member

Yes I added a drain hose. I spliced a preformed hose I found on to the original drain hose and ran it out the right side wheel well. I used the original plastic clip to hold the hose to the frame. Works like a charm, all condensate water is now routed overboard with nothing ending up in the belly of the car. I showed this to the local SC and gave them pictures---I don't think they were impressed.

Attached Files:

11. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Why weren't they impressed. Looks good to me.

12. EliMusk

EliMusk New Member

Impressive.