Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Getting Worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had heard talk about the Model S not working so well but a couple of months ago it seemed to work better than it does now. It can be mid 90's outside with the A/C set on 68 and it doesn't blow as cold as it used to. The fan also never blows at max speed on "Auto". Maybe I'll ask for a ranger to come look at it. Thoughts?

Mine is freezing even when it is about 100 outside. Go get it fixed, seriously. Or if you want, look at the condenser radiator and see if some leaves or dirt has clogged it up. If so, the efficiency will be dramatically reduced and could cause poor performance. Otherwise it is pretty much guaranteed to be a problem with the system itself.

What they need to work on is keeping it evenly cool through the car, because the solar heating in some areas while driving is annoying. Nothing like being cold and hot at the same time.

OP, first check if you have Range Mode ON. If so, in addition to dual-motor traction improvements, realize the single setting also limits HVAC effectiveness -- aka how cold and how fast in your case, the MS HVAC operates. While I noted this point while reading my Owners Manual and on the setting help screen, I didn't see any difference with Range Mode as it relates to HVAC until temps went up in the last couple of months. I turned Range Mode OFF, and can more rapidly cool my MS down to the point it becomes chilly where it didn't before.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
Just to add support for the "range mode" comments, I just did that today. Cooling kind of sucked and I thought, man, this is annoying. Then I remembered I had turned Range Mode on a few days ago and forgot to turn it back off. Oops! Fixed it right up.

Unless this changed recently, when you have range mode on, your max fan speed only goes to 8, otherwise it goes to 11.

But in general, I agree, the AC in the model S isn't as good as an in ICE. It works, it gets the job done -> I don't have any real complaints; but we recently took a trip in the ICE, and I thought "wow, the AC here is so much stronger than the Model S".

Unless this changed recently, when you have range mode on, your max fan speed only goes to 8, otherwise it goes to 11.

But in general, I agree, the AC in the model S isn't as good as an in ICE. It works, it gets the job done -> I don't have any real complaints; but we recently took a trip in the ICE, and I thought "wow, the AC here is so much stronger than the Model S".

Geez I hope it's not too much underwhelming. I'm in S FLorida and it's about as hot and humid as the entire country from July to October. The last thing I need is sweating in my MS. I have the Pano roof and that too concerns me. I understand you can get some sort of shade added, but I was a bit surprised it wasn't built in; all other cars I've been in with glass roofs had some sort of built in screen/shield. My demo/test drive left me wondering a bit since it was an overcast day and although I was comfortable, had it been a few degrees cooler I would have been more satisfied.

I guess when I get the car I will find out. No way to supplement it if it's not capable of doing the job. :(

Geez I hope it's not too much underwhelming. I'm in S FLorida and it's about as hot and humid as the entire country from July to October. The last thing I need is sweating in my MS. I have the Pano roof and that too concerns me. I understand you can get some sort of shade added, but I was a bit surprised it wasn't built in; all other cars I've been in with glass roofs had some sort of built in screen/shield. My demo/test drive left me wondering a bit since it was an overcast day and although I was comfortable, had it been a few degrees cooler I would have been more satisfied.

I guess when I get the car I will find out. No way to supplement it if it's not capable of doing the job. :(
The pano roof does a great job shielding heat. You can also get it tinted if you want, I never did. I had my windows tinted with Llumar ceramic tint, and keep the AC between 67 and 69F. If you get hot, you can always set it down to 65F or 64F or LO.

As a side note, I've only needed to set it to LO once. We had 6 people and ended up taking one car, the kids were in the trunk (and I have a not-so-firm rule - if it's above 80F and sunny, kids don't go in the trunk), but it was about 95F and sunny, so I blasted the car on LO and fan@11 the whole car ride. I was a little cold, but my kids were fine in the trunk.

The AC works fine, but an ICE AC works better. That's my opinion, and I stand by it (and no, my AC is not broken)

Yes, it did change a while back. I just quadruple-checked and my fan can go to 11 with Range Mode ON and OFF.
I'm too lazy to go to the car, but when in range mode it says something different, right? Something about Range vs. Auto? I can't remember what it is, but I feel there was an easy way to tell without having to go through all the menus.

I'm too lazy to go to the car, but when in range mode it says something different, right? Something about Range vs. Auto? I can't remember what it is, but I feel there was an easy way to tell without having to go through all the menus.
Yes, something different, but I'm also now too lazy to go back out again to tell you what it is. ;) ...someone will chime in, or I know the detail is just a search away from previous reports.

Reactions: Max*
Mine was acting up too. Blowing humid medium warm air. My wife and I were in the car and I finally figured it out as I was stabbing the temp down to low and up trying to force a change. The temps were not synced. She had 76 and I had low. As soon as I synced them and set it at 72 things were good.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy

The AC itself is more powerful than you will find on any ICE car. It needs to be as it cools the battery and there is way more heat to be removed from a battery supercharging in the sun on a 100 degree day than you will ever need to remove from the cabin.

The problems with the AC seem to fall into two categories: auto-mode and pano roof-related. Auto mode has never been great. I can only assume the placement of the sensor between the front seats is not ideal. It's one data point and doesn't represent the entire ambient temperature of the cabin. The other issue, which is related to the first, is the pano roof. While it does block a lot of the heat from the sun, it does allow more heat to enter than a metal top would. I find that after the car has cooled off, and auto mode dials back the fan, it gets hot near the top of the cabin if the sun is shining. Since there is not as much circulation with the fan at a low speed, convection traps the heat entering the pano roof at head level. As a result I find that on long drives I have to continue to lower the ambient setting or manually crank up the fan.

• Informative
Reactions: Camera-Cruiser