Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C issue, Tesla says there is no issue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

SHORT VERSION:

A/c not blowing/pushing enough air. Compared to the loaner Tesla gave me, it’s vastly off. Tesla said my car’s ok.

LONG VERSION:

I purchased a used Model S, P90DL, from Tesla Fremont about a month ago. As soon as I left their lot, the a/c started making this loud buzzing sound. Of course, I wasn’t able to hear it before, as I wasn’t allowed to test drive. More details about my experience pending, will post when ready.

https://youtu.be/h3HoMNSTCZQ

The noise lasted, oh 1500 miles of my 2000 mile drive home. So loud my wife was getting annoyed when I’d call her. Then it suddenly stopped, ah the relief! But since then, I have noticed the air output has diminished. The car is having a hard time cooling down. My wife is complaining, my kids are sweating in the back, even giving test rides to family and friends, people are asking, is your air on? Why yes, full blast mind you.

Finally take it in to Tesla, they are great so far, great communication, etc. Said they will do a “thermal test” to get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, they give me a loaner, besides being a 70D, it’s virtually identical, interior and options. Black nextgen seats, pano roof, etc. Oh, and it’s older, 2015 I believe and more miles. It is immediately noticeable, the air is beyond amazing. So cool, I’m actually turning the air down, and I’m starting to freeze. I say nothing and when my wifes in it, she’s mentions it, my 4 year old mentions it. It’s clearly noticeable.

I’m thinking, thank God, once mines fixed, my air will work like this. Then Tesla tells me the “thermal test” showed no fault, your car is ready to pick up. I again explained the issue was NOT the noise, but the air is barely blowing on high. The loaner car is blowing 100 times better, something is wrong.

Any idea what it could be?

Not trying to sound pessimistic or negative, but I've had a rough experience with Tesla (my first Tesla btw). I can’t stomach having paid so much for a car and constantly driving around with the air on high, only to still arrive at destinations, sweating. Again, very appreciative to my Tesla Service Center, but I’m a big guy, and can’t be showing up places looking like I got out the shower and forgot to dry before putting on my clothes.

Any insight appreciated...

Thanks,
- Zishan

Keep fighting... Yes I know that sucks but this is the state of Tesla service right now... People really should think twice before they buy a car from this company in it's current state.

Jeff

Yes, will keep pushing them to resolve. Honestly, the service center has been amazing, just can't figure this out.

Sounds like some kind of leaf or paper got stuck in the air channel, and or is hitting the fan.
Kinda like when we put cards on our bike wheels as kids.

Makes sense, you'd think they'd check these things....I will ask them to ensure the air channel is clear of debris.

I really thought when the noise stopped, something failed, and the air stopped blowing like it should. I thought I'd take it to Tesla, they'd say oh, this thingy stopped working, we replaced it, here you go.

The blend door actuators can be tested in the car. I did it in my 2005 Magnum. Surely they have tested them...
It does sound as if something is loose in the ducting somewhere. You can buy a small camera pretty cheap and put it down the ducting. From the intake near the bottom of the windshield as well as thru the registers.
A/C is pretty important in Houston. I grew up there. First car was a 61 Beetle no A/C.

Reactions: Zishan
Hello All,

SHORT VERSION:

A/c not blowing/pushing enough air. Compared to the loaner Tesla gave me, it’s vastly off. Tesla said my car’s ok.

LONG VERSION:

I purchased a used Model S, P90DL, from Tesla Fremont about a month ago. As soon as I left their lot, the a/c started making this loud buzzing sound. Of course, I wasn’t able to hear it before, as I wasn’t allowed to test drive. More details about my experience pending, will post when ready.

The noise lasted, oh 1500 miles of my 2000 mile drive home. So loud my wife was getting annoyed when I’d call her. Then it suddenly stopped, ah the relief! But since then, I have noticed the air output has diminished. The car is having a hard time cooling down. My wife is complaining, my kids are sweating in the back, even giving test rides to family and friends, people are asking, is your air on? Why yes, full blast mind you.

Finally take it in to Tesla, they are great so far, great communication, etc. Said they will do a “thermal test” to get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, they give me a loaner, besides being a 70D, it’s virtually identical, interior and options. Black nextgen seats, pano roof, etc. Oh, and it’s older, 2015 I believe and more miles. It is immediately noticeable, the air is beyond amazing. So cool, I’m actually turning the air down, and I’m starting to freeze. I say nothing and when my wifes in it, she’s mentions it, my 4 year old mentions it. It’s clearly noticeable.

I’m thinking, thank God, once mines fixed, my air will work like this. Then Tesla tells me the “thermal test” showed no fault, your car is ready to pick up. I again explained the issue was NOT the noise, but the air is barely blowing on high. The loaner car is blowing 100 times better, something is wrong.

Not trying to sound pessimistic or negative, but I've had a rough experience with Tesla (my first Tesla btw). I can’t stomach having paid so much for a car and constantly driving around with the air on high, only to still arrive at destinations, sweating. Again, very appreciative to my Tesla Service Center, but I’m a big guy, and can’t be showing up places looking like I got out the shower and forgot to dry before putting on my clothes.

Thanks,
- Zishan

I have the exact same noise in mine. It's the compressor, and due to the design it makes that noise. On some cars it's more noticeable (had a loaner that was much less intense). Of course, Tesla SC "could not reproduce". Keep on them. I'll try mine again when I have a day to kill.

Reactions: Zishan
Had roughly the same problem with a high pitched whistling noise when the fan speed was at 7 and internally circulating. Also air flow was low and felt like the car was struggling to cool down.

Ultimately they found that the Actuator was faulty and replaced it.

Part info from invoice:
Intake Actuator - Service MSR HVAC(1139238-00-A)

i have a 2016 75d AP2 refresh; so should be similar to your design/issue.

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and Zishan
I have the exact same noise in mine. It's the compressor, and due to the design it makes that noise. On some cars it's more noticeable (had a loaner that was much less intense). Of course, Tesla SC "could not reproduce". Keep on them. I'll try mine again when I have a day to kill.

I've heard the a/c can get noisy. But this was pretty substantial. I mean, I could barely hear my wife and vise versa, she was getting really annoyed at the sound. It's definitely outside of any realm of acceptable. I mean, I couldn't think. I had to blast the music to drown it out, and I mean blast. The good news, it has stopped. But air flow has diminished as well.

Thanks all, I have forwarded the Tesla SC the advice and asked them nicely to please check. I hope they check the actuator/actuators. I jokingly added, if not, I don't mind holding onto the loaner as long as possible, as I love it's a/c. I hope they understand and can get to the root cause.

Hello All,

SHORT VERSION:

LONG VERSION:

Thanks,
- Zishan

That's impossible, PWlakewood told me so!

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
I've heard the a/c can get noisy. But this was pretty substantial. I mean, I could barely hear my wife and vise versa, she was getting really annoyed at the sound. It's definitely outside of any realm of acceptable. I mean, I couldn't think. I had to blast the music to drown it out, and I mean blast. The good news, it has stopped. But air flow has diminished as well.
Did it seam like the noise was inside our outside? Did it vary with fan speed?

Did it seam like the noise was inside our outside? Did it vary with fan speed?

Yes and no, you can tell in the video, when I adjust the fan speed, the sound isn't directly related, but does seem to eventually slow down as I turn the fan down and vice versa. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the dash. Thoughts?

Could you just get the tech to take a ride with you in the loaner then in your car? On a nice sunny day.

It's still at Tesla, I asked my contact to please ask the tech to compare it to another Model S's air conditioner. It's back in que to be looked at. No issue for me, I'm enjoying the air in the loaner. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like some kind of leaf or paper got stuck in the air channel, and or is hitting the fan.
Kinda like when we put cards on our bike wheels as kids.
I had an Acura MDX that would pick up a mouse in our garage periodically. The fan had to be extracted along with the mouse parts. The service tech always gave the job to a newbie or the repair person on his hit list each time. :)

Reactions: StarLog
@Zishan sorry - my reading comprehension wasn’t very good. I didn’t notice the link the first time around.

That’s a tough one. Wow, loud. Doesn’t seam to directly track the fan speed but follows it.

Does it change if you change into/out of recirculating mode? If I remember correctly, airflow basically stopped for me in one of the modes. Fan still ran, sounded like it was fighting.

No, no need to apologize. Yes, it's strange, not directly related, but related to fan speed.

And yes, loud, and I've owned loud cars. Full exhaust NSX, 600hp cammed Z06, an AMG with an exhaust leak, etc. I'm used to loud. The a/c, something was definitely wrong.

I don't think I tried without recycle mode when it was making sounds. I know once the air flow reduced, I tried Bioweapon defense mode, and no change in air flow.