Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C issue, Tesla says there is no issue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine had poor cooling when one of the actuators failed. I think it was stuck in outside air mode.
Any insight appreciated...

Yep, Actuator failure of the blend door, as well as the blend door gear attached to the actuator could have been or is out time. Mine has been this way for as long as I have owned the car. On trips its fine, Short trips though your pretty hot. The actuator failed and its working so good now I have to turn it down on 4-5 mile trips in 94 degree F trips. They are fixing it Friday, fixing what I am not sure, it works great broken. It started with thumping under the dash.

On my F150 the blend door actuator broke on the way to Phila around the first of Nov. We were continuing on to Ca and the UP so I could not use the extended warranty. I bought the part at Ford and put it in on the street in front of my son's house. That was the right decision. It was mid 30's in the UP a week later.

On my F150 the blend door actuator broke on the way to Phila around the first of Nov. We were continuing on to Ca and the UP so I could not use the extended warranty. I bought the part at Ford and put it in on the street in front of my son's house. That was the right decision. It was mid 30's in the UP a week later.
My blend door broke on my dodge 2500. They want $3k to fix it. Have to disassemble the dash, remove the refrigerant, remove the unit, fix, recharge, replace dash.

Company makes and aftermarket patch - have to cut a hole in the side of the box with a Dremel. Then put in a multi-part blend door and tape up the hole.

Yuck.

Had roughly the same problem with a high pitched whistling noise when the fan speed was at 7 and internally circulating. Also air flow was low and felt like the car was struggling to cool down.

Ultimately they found that the Actuator was faulty and replaced it.

Part info from invoice:
Intake Actuator - Service MSR HVAC(1139238-00-A)

i have a 2016 75d AP2 refresh; so should be similar to your design/issue.

Good luck!

I had a very similar issue and problem was same issue...broken/failed actuator. Had to get it to the service center after I compared my car to a demo car at the center...parked together, same time, same outside temp, etc. to compare. The demo car blew a LOT more air than my car did. At that point they said they would take my car to troubeshoot it. Got it back two days later and things working great now. This is the post where I reported/asked about my symptoms...Model S air conditioning

No, no need to apologize. Yes, it's strange, not directly related, but related to fan speed.

And yes, loud, and I've owned loud cars. Full exhaust NSX, 600hp cammed Z06, an AMG with an exhaust leak, etc. I'm used to loud. The a/c, something was definitely wrong.

I don't think I tried without recycle mode when it was making sounds. I know once the air flow reduced, I tried Bioweapon defense mode, and no change in air flow.

You could get a wind speed and temperature measurement device to compare both airflow and temperature drop over 5 minutes between cars (link below). This way you'll have data you can show them.

https://www.amazon.com/Anemometer-M...t=&hvlocphy=9004247&hvtargid=pla-867665392447

Reactions: Zishan
Hello All,

SHORT VERSION:

A/c not blowing/pushing enough air. Compared to the loaner Tesla gave me, it’s vastly off. Tesla said my car’s ok.

LONG VERSION:

I purchased a used Model S, P90DL, from Tesla Fremont about a month ago. As soon as I left their lot, the a/c started making this loud buzzing sound. Of course, I wasn’t able to hear it before, as I wasn’t allowed to test drive. More details about my experience pending, will post when ready.

https://youtu.be/h3HoMNSTCZQ

The noise lasted, oh 1500 miles of my 2000 mile drive home. So loud my wife was getting annoyed when I’d call her. Then it suddenly stopped, ah the relief! But since then, I have noticed the air output has diminished. The car is having a hard time cooling down. My wife is complaining, my kids are sweating in the back, even giving test rides to family and friends, people are asking, is your air on? Why yes, full blast mind you.

Finally take it in to Tesla, they are great so far, great communication, etc. Said they will do a “thermal test” to get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, they give me a loaner, besides being a 70D, it’s virtually identical, interior and options. Black nextgen seats, pano roof, etc. Oh, and it’s older, 2015 I believe and more miles. It is immediately noticeable, the air is beyond amazing. So cool, I’m actually turning the air down, and I’m starting to freeze. I say nothing and when my wifes in it, she’s mentions it, my 4 year old mentions it. It’s clearly noticeable.

I’m thinking, thank God, once mines fixed, my air will work like this. Then Tesla tells me the “thermal test” showed no fault, your car is ready to pick up. I again explained the issue was NOT the noise, but the air is barely blowing on high. The loaner car is blowing 100 times better, something is wrong.

Any idea what it could be?

Not trying to sound pessimistic or negative, but I've had a rough experience with Tesla (my first Tesla btw). I can’t stomach having paid so much for a car and constantly driving around with the air on high, only to still arrive at destinations, sweating. Again, very appreciative to my Tesla Service Center, but I’m a big guy, and can’t be showing up places looking like I got out the shower and forgot to dry before putting on my clothes.

Any insight appreciated...

Thanks,
- Zishan

So sorry to hear this, hope all is well. Surprisingly I’m having the same issue I have a service appointment on the 25th and so far this are the issues I’ve found with mine.

1. AC - My AC will at random not blow any air from the front drive and passenger air vents and it stops blowing cold air. I have to turn the AC Unit off and wait a few minutes before turning it back on, and if I set it at higher than 8 the vents stop blowing air, like if the vents internally closed. The AC also makes a winding noise I didn’t hear when I picked up the vehicle.
  2. Door - My driver side door is not aligned properly which causes the window not to seal all the way which causes cabin noise similar to having a window cracked open
  3. Yellow Rim - 3 days after purchasing the vehicle I noticed a yellow rim around my entire screen starting to appear and now it’s extremely visible
  4. Windows - The Drive-side Window control randomly malfunctions like if there’s a short when I try to put my back windows up or down.
  5. Blind spot sensors - The car displays a notice “Blind Spot Detection Limited, Camera Visibility Reduced”, when this happens the car is unable to switch lanes when autopilot is engaged. It also doesn’t detect vehicles next to me or behind me, the car only sees other vehicles when they pass the car.
  6. MCU is extremely slow and requires me to rest it every time I open the web browser.

Hopefully the give me a loaner I drive around 200 miles a day.

577214D5-F16C-46E7-A2C8-C7EEF0D8D154.jpeg A0CAAEF6-D94A-498B-97E7-EE998BD283D7.jpeg

UPDATE:

Tesla Service Center confirmed, it's the actuator.

"our diagnostic technician found that the HVAC intake actuator is not operating properly, closing off the air flow when it shouldn't. To replace it, the total cost would be $842.85. Would you like us to proceed with that?"

Now all I have to do is get them to see I have a 4yr/50k mileage warranty. They apparently do not show I have any warranty left. Which I don't think it's the Service Center's fault.

Thanks everyone, I thought I was going to have to battle this out, but they had no issue digging deeper once the thermal test came back good.

So relieved I'm going to have properly working air! :D

That's good to hear and hopefully you can get the warranty issue sorted. Regarding the thermal test, I am not surprised that wouldn't show anything because usually they just put a thermometer into the vents to get a reading on the air temperature coming out. It doesn't do anything to measure the force of the air.

I'd say your service people are totally idiotic. They completely missed an obvious diagnosis in the first place. This is not good service. This is BAD service.

Its the same in Europe. Meanwhile the Tesla community knows, which SC's are ok and which are better to avoid at all costs. It's all about people, sometimes you just get a pack of black sheeps and there is nothing you can do unless you are ready to close the respective SC completely...

UPDATE:

Tesla Service Center confirmed, it's the actuator.

"our diagnostic technician found that the HVAC intake actuator is not operating properly, closing off the air flow when it shouldn't. To replace it, the total cost would be $842.85. Would you like us to proceed with that?"

Now all I have to do is get them to see I have a 4yr/50k mileage warranty. They apparently do not show I have any warranty left. Which I don't think it's the Service Center's fault.

Thanks everyone, I thought I was going to have to battle this out, but they had no issue digging deeper once the thermal test came back good.

So relieved I'm going to have properly working air! :D
Could you please write here number of replaced part from the invoice? I have almost no airflow on my Model S.. thanks