Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we all have figured out, the A/C is stinkin loud! But I discovered another fun fact today...while charging, the a/c does not blow cold air!!!

I am not sure if this is only when charging or pre conditioning as well. But I have tested this twice with the same results.

As we all have figured out, the A/C is stinkin loud! But I discovered another fun fact
today...while charging, the a/c does not blow cold air!!!
I am not sure if this is only when charging or pre conditioning as well. But I have tested this twice with the same results.

Are you sure about that??

I just sat in my MX with the UMC plugged into my NEMA 14-50 outlet and the AC was working well. It's 94 degrees outside in Dallas today, so I would know if the AC wasn't cooling.

I plugged into two different superchargers. Car was at 76 when I got out. 114 when I came back with a/c turned on max (turned on with the app). Second time I was in the car with the a/c on while on a phone call. As soon as I plugged the supercharger cable in, the cool air stopped and warm air blew instead. I had to get out to keep talking as it got too hot. I hope it was a fluke. But this is specific to my X, it does not happen in my S.

So try duplicating in an X on a supercharger then let me know what happens.

As we all have figured out, the A/C is stinkin loud! But I discovered another fun fact today...while charging, the a/c does not blow cold air!!!

Perhaps you need to take your car back to tesla. That doesn't sound right.

@Lloyd mentioned Harris ranch, which is a supercharger

But he wasn't charging an X. Not sure where the confusion is here. I realize this does not occur on the S...since I have one and I realize that it does not occur on a regular charger...I am seeing if anyone has a similar issue with an X on a Supercharger.

Thanks Ohmman for your input. I normally charge in Oregon and California where the heat isn't too extreme, but currently I am in Florida and it was pretty hot so maybe I have just never noticed this before and maybe it is standard, like Lloyd said, that it is protecting the battery first. Who knows but it was stinkin hot while I was on that phone call!!

Hi CClaygo. I had the same issue with my X. At first I thought it was charging. Then Tesla service had me reset, reboot, reeverthing otp. Then I finally took the car in. They said it was low on refrigerant and perhaps the factory didn't fill it properly. Mind you this was only the 3rd week. So in any case, they refilled it and I took it back, but sure enough, it went bad again. No cold air.
I took it back and this time they found the leak. Apparently, the condenser has a leak. They had to order a new one and I just got it back again yesterday. Fingers crossed. Lets hope this time it work. But don't waste your time and take it back. Tell them to use Black Light to find the leak. good luck.

Just rolled over 9000 miles on X VIN 265. AC works great on Super Chargers or I would be dead. Charged at Yuma AZ last week, Hot Batteries ( Ran non stop, high speed, from full range charge to less than 10 miles range remaining, mid day, parked full sun on hot asphalt)
The car cooled just fine. Even on range mode.

If your AC is not working while charging try a system reboot and if that doesn't clear it call service.

In over three years and 75,000 miles of Tesla driving, Model S and Model X, I have charged at the hottest locations in all of Tesla land many times. Barstow CA before the solar shade, Quartzite AZ, Gila Bend AZ, Yuma AZ, El Centro CA and Primm NV. I don't think Super Chargers come any hotter in the summer than those locations.

In all that time and all those charges I have experienced limited interior cooling only once. Mid day in El Centro CA with the car temp gage reading 124 degrees outside, as I was charging hot batteries, parked over smoking hot asphalt, in full mid day sun. After about 10 minutes charging the car displayed a warning that interior cooling would be limited. I was not surprised to get the warning. It was incredibly hot that day.

So you should have no problem getting full cooling while Super Charging. After hundreds of S and X Super Charges on road trips I have only one time had cooling limited.

my Model X A/C also had problems out of the gate - had to send it back to SC three times before they figured out that a sensor was faulty. my issue was the A/C was intermittently not pushing out any cold air - sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. the worst was it seemed to fail during the hottest days. Seems the A/C system in the X might be different from the S because we've never had a problem with the A/C in our S (outside of the moan when its at full blast).

Reactions: cclaygo
Just an update on this...I was hearing a very faint squeeky sound coming from the front left by the suspension...very faint. Turns out that the A/C hose was rubbing something. They are replacing it and hopefully that resolves my issue. The only negative is they have had it for two weeks:( Not too happy about that.

So try duplicating in an X on a supercharger then let me know what happens.
I was supercharging today and had the AC ON. It was blowing cold air. It occured to me that I should test how cold it can get and I set it to LO with fan speed max. I was trying to mimic Max ac mode that my BMW has. It got pretty cold very fast, all this while supercharging. This was before I came across this thread.

So I had a strange noise that would occur intermittently when the suspension was in normal or low and the a/c compressor was going. It sounded exactly like the sound you hear when you put a finger on a fan. I took it in and the Marietta, GA SC opened it up. They said that the factory had incorrectly routed two of the A/C lines and it was rubbing on the condenser.

Funny enough, after it was fixed, my A/C doesn't go to 100% all the time. After the initial cooling, it calms down. Much nicer now. They evacuated and recharged the Freon so I'm wondering if that helped?

I also wonder if having two different types of cars on the same assembly line is causing issues? Seemed like a human failure and not a robotic one.

Here's a copy of the work order.

File_000 (2).jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: chloedog