Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C not working, service center did not want to cover cost due to debris found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

About 6 weeks ago we purchased from Tesla a used 2019 Model 3 SR+ with about 28k miles. I noticed the A/C did not cool as effectively as my Infiniti but was sufficient. As the weeks (Southern California) got gradually hotter it appeared to become less efficient, I went into service mode and found errors relating to VCFRONT A/C system but there were no customer facing alerts that had been displayed. A few days later an alert finally popped up that mentioned the HVAC system was being limited and to contact service.

I took the vehicle in for service (~about 29k on the odometer) and also requested the the cabin air filters and 12v battery replaced as it still had the original 12v. Service call me and explained they found debris in the condenser that was most likely caused by road debris and they would not be covering the cost of repair, they wanted over $1,000, after a bit back and forth they told me they would replace it free of charge as a one time courtesy due to having recently acquired it but were firm in letting me know that it was somehow my fault and even driving it a few miles I can be unlucky and have a rock hit the condenser in turn causing a leak. They also mentioned they would not cover it if it reoccurred.

Is this a common experience?
In the Model 3 is the same condenser also used to cool the battery pack? P/N: 107783-00-B
Should I be concerned that the compressor has worn prematurely due to lack of refrigerant caused by the condenser leak?

As I understand it they mentioned road debris and called it a condenser which seems like the one near the frunk rather than the evaporator coil in the cabin.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
they found debris in the condenser that was most likely caused by road debris

Incoming air passes though the "cabin filter" before reaching the condenser, if it was road debris there would have been evidence on the filter. I have the big HEPA filter in my car, which means the air passes through that filter before reaching the cabin air filter, which would make what you described impossible.

Check the air path to the cabin filter to see if something is missing, or has a hole, which could allow debris to enter the cabin air filter chamber.

Should I be concerned that the compressor has worn prematurely due to lack of refrigerant caused by the condenser leak?

No, a pressure sensor will turn-off the compressor if the pressure is too low.

Not unusual. I'm sure they are talking about the heat exchanger under the front bumper. It is not accurate to call it a condenser as it role changes depending on whether you need heat or cooling in the cabin.

I was on a road trip when I ran into an area of highway where someone lost a bale or bales of hay. It was a hay storm. I was pleasantly surprised at how little was actually caught up in the heat exchanger. But still not pleased. It was not enough to create a major blockage. I was unhappy with how difficult it was to clean. Not like an ICE car were you can take an air hose and blow it back out.

Anybody here have any suggestions for a simple solution other than disassembly on the front end?

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and ATPMSD
On the pre-heat pump cars... Like the OP has, there is an actual condenser on the vehicle which is like a radiator, where refrigerant gets cooled down after compression before the expansion valve.

This type of damage could happen on any car and cause the same type of issues. I have seen little tiny holes cause such a small leak you cant ever find where its escaping the system.

Glad that Tesla is helping out! Good luck with the repairs.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Glad that Tesla is helping out! Good luck with the repairs.

Impressed that they based on how long OP has owned the car, even though it's still under bumper to bumper. Traditional dealer would say buyer beware.

Reminds me that i need to sell my sonata which doesn't cool well when it get's to 110 here in AZ, but works fine when it's cool.

The SC's are usually pretty good, especially when you respect them. About 1 year after picking up my new M3 LRAWD, I noticed the paint was nicked on the back passenger door, near the top where the weather strip was. I explained to them, that this was caused when they replace the window/door strip which they had damaged. As I never sit there, I had only noticed it after a long hard look. The SC manager was a total prince, and had it done by their assigned/authorized shop under courtesy. It was not necessary to repaint the entire door as I only wanted it "blown in".

It always comes down to respecting the people first.

Reactions: jjrandorin
i think it matters on corp. culture/leeway too. TSLA/Elon doesn't consider service to be a profit center

Compare the OP experience to that to some dealerships where service can be very adversarial, even for clear warranty issues.

TSLA/Elon doesn't consider service to be a profit center
We don’t still actually believe this, do we?
Compare the OP experience to that to some dealerships where service can be very adversarial, even for clear warranty issues.
Very interesting as I’ve found the exact opposite to be true. Tesla’s first party service centers are trained to be very stingy about warranty repairs because the company is on the hook and the prime directive is keep costs low.

Franchise dealerships on the other hand are reimbursed by the manufacturer for warranty work so finding and performing it can be a major revenue source for them.

Very interesting as I’ve found the exact opposite to be true. Tesla’s first party service centers are trained to be very stingy about warranty repairs because the company is on the hook and the prime directive is keep costs low.

Franchise dealerships on the other hand are reimbursed by the manufacturer for warranty work so finding and performing it can be a major revenue source for them.
Good points I guess it depends on the brand. Some have Lower warranty hourly rate vs billing customer

Tesla has waived a lot for me by just Asking vs some other brands I had to fight to corporate level

Reactions: rpiotro and ODWms

exactly this. from my experience my Ford dealer pro-actively (!) found and told me about warranty work needed to be done when I had inspection / oil change being done. Also very proactive with re-calls and fixes.

Tesla SC's on the other hand - and from postings in this forum - seem to be very hesitant approving warranty work and / or claim "user error" or "within specs". SC's probably get dinged by corporate if they exceed a certain ratio of unpaid/ paid repairs...