Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C problem while Supercharging: again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to modify or beef up the cooling capacity of the 5-seater Model X? I just had this happen to me again on August 1: while supercharging, I got a yellow warning message that said cabin air conditioning was being reduced. Which really means no A/C in the cabin. I stopped supercharging immediately, had only been charging for 26 minutes, hoping I would have some cooling but nope. So an uncomfortable 30 minute drive home with outside temps 105-106 and car blowing hot air.

To be clear, I did not run the A/C at all while I was supercharging. I learned my lesson about this a couple of years ago on a very hot 110 degree day, supercharging in Gila Bend. We got back on the road to Tucson and almost immediately got that message and had no A/C for the 2 hour trip home. It was brutal. Our local Tesla service ranger had told me after that, it should be okay to sit in the car with A/C running while supercharging unless temperature outside is 105 or more. I have bumped that threshold to 100 degrees to be sure, or maybe just run it for a minute or so then turn back off.

I've been told the 7-seater actually has 2 air conditioning systems. Don't know about the 6-seater. Mine is 5-seater, 2018 P100D. Totally unacceptable that such a high end car has inadequate cooling. What can be done, anything? I guess I will schedule a service. I don't know what they can do. But it's super hot here in the summer and I'm getting leery about driving the car for extended time, especially if I have to supercharge. Would this be covered under warranty? Thanks for any insight.

I have no idea. Is that something that would be checked routinely on an annual service? I had it serviced in March 2020.
Service would be able to see any errors but I don't know if they check them otherwise.

You can easily check the front ones yourself by standing at the front of the car. It might look slightly different from this video but if you stand at the front of your car, you should be able to see them open.

There's an internal set of louvers as well but you can't see those from the outside.

Reactions: mswlogo
Is there any way to modify or beef up the cooling capacity of the 5-seater Model X? I just had this happen to me again on August 1: while supercharging, I got a yellow warning message that said cabin air conditioning was being reduced. Which really means no A/C in the cabin. I stopped supercharging immediately, had only been charging for 26 minutes, hoping I would have some cooling but nope. So an uncomfortable 30 minute drive home with outside temps 105-106 and car blowing hot air.

To be clear, I did not run the A/C at all while I was supercharging. I learned my lesson about this a couple of years ago on a very hot 110 degree day, supercharging in Gila Bend. We got back on the road to Tucson and almost immediately got that message and had no A/C for the 2 hour trip home. It was brutal. Our local Tesla service ranger had told me after that, it should be okay to sit in the car with A/C running while supercharging unless temperature outside is 105 or more. I have bumped that threshold to 100 degrees to be sure, or maybe just run it for a minute or so then turn back off.

I've been told the 7-seater actually has 2 air conditioning systems. Don't know about the 6-seater. Mine is 5-seater, 2018 P100D. Totally unacceptable that such a high end car has inadequate cooling. What can be done, anything? I guess I will schedule a service. I don't know what they can do. But it's super hot here in the summer and I'm getting leery about driving the car for extended time, especially if I have to supercharge. Would this be covered under warranty? Thanks for any insight.

5 seater has a “smaller” compressor / condenser and two evaporators. One for the battery and one for the whole cabin.

The 6/7 Seater has a “larger” compressor / condenser and 3 evaporators. One for battery, one for front cabin and one for the rear cabin.

The main reason I got the 7 seater was that was the cheapest way to get the bigger cooling system. I was worried about my dogs in the back. I’ve yet to open up the 3rd row a year in owning it.

It’s possible yours is malfunctioning, but it’s not the first I’ve read of similar issues of weak cooling on the 5-seater. It will protect the battery over the passengers. I changed my order after I read about it from 5 to 7.

I try to avoid supercharging on hot days if I can.

Reactions: Marcia L
Had this happen at 70k miles and was a $2500 AC compressor fix out of warranty ..7k miles later it failed again ..Tesla said was just a faulty part and replaced it as original repair had one year warranty..I live in so cal desert temps get 100+ in summer ;)

Reactions: forkee
Easy fix

c3c2f3371febc50cbbd6f8ec78718a38.jpg

You may consider put a light colored PPL on your roof to reflect the suns rays since you live in a very hot area. There is a gentleman with a white model Y on YouTube that lives in Phoenix, AZ who had white PPL installed to match his paint and feels it compensates his AC nicely. Of course you will loose the ability to look up out of your roof. However you could then opt to take it off once the hot season has passed. Just food for thought.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne