Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been having problems with initiating A/C in my model Y over the last several weeks. It typically just blows the fan and despite reset, toggling A/C, etc it will intermittently come on and cool. The service center checked it out and performed thermal testing and of course it was working as expected at that time. When I picked up the vehicle this weekend the only way I could get the A/C to come on was via the app by first clicking cool and Lo setting, toggling the hot defrost on the bottom right and then back to cool.

Has anyone had similar issues with intermittent cooling ?

It seems more like a glitchy software issue. I have a M3 as well to compare and that works as expected.

Reactions: beachmiles
I’ve been having problems with initiating A/C in my model Y over the last several weeks. It typically just blows the fan and despite reset, toggling A/C, etc it will intermittently come on and cool. The service center checked it out and performed thermal testing and of course it was working as expected at that time. When I picked up the vehicle this weekend the only way I could get the A/C to come on was via the app by first clicking cool and Lo setting, toggling the hot defrost on the bottom right and then back to cool.

It seems more like a glitchy software issue. I have a M3 as well to compare and that works as expected.

So, I have the exact same issue that you do, couldn't get the A/C to kick on. However, I did what you did in the app and the A/C kicked on! I've been 48 hrs in the heat without A/C. Thanks for posting!

I do have service scheduled for Thursday, so hopefully they can fix.

So, I have the exact same issue that you do, couldn't get the A/C to kick on. However, I did what you did in the app and the A/C kicked on! I've been 48 hrs in the heat without A/C. Thanks for posting!

I do have service scheduled for Thursday, so hopefully they can fix.

I’m sorry you are having the same issue but glad to hear I’m not alone. Please keep me posted if the service center finds a solution.

I’m sorry you are having the same issue but glad to hear I’m not alone. Please keep me posted if the service center finds a solution.

I will definitely post here it/when I go for service Thursday.
I just tested your method of using the app to heat then cool the car down;. It appeared to work in the Tesla app, but when I got to the car there was still no a/c.

Yes, I have had that happen as well. When viewing the temp on the app it can appear as if the temperature is falling dramatically fast but when you get in the car it’s still hot. I would say that shortcut has been working half the time but it’s the only current work around I’ve discovered.
I have another service center visit for July 8 and I just received an email they have plan to replace the A/C compressor.

BJCard, did you happen to get your Y back yet ? I’m eagerly awaiting your update or potential fix. No A/C for me today despite my attempted crank the heat work around.
So, they replaced the following part:

PT Sensor, Low Pressure
Part #: 1510048-00-A

They say it's fixed and are delivering the car tomorrow afternoon. I can now log into my car and see the temperature in the mid 70's, so I'm hopeful it's all good. I'll post tomorrow when I get the car back.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: DBeckwith
Did this part solve your problem? I brought in my Y twice and they said everything checked out. Frustrating as problem is intermittent.

I’ve brought mine in twice now. First time it passed thermal tests and was returned. Second time, the problem of intermittent cooling was acknowledged but they felt it was due to slightly low Freon and returned. The problem for me is that if it works, it works as expected for as long as I have it on. However, the next time I go to turn on the car it won’t cool and only blows the fan. To answer your question, I could not get them to change any sensors. As a side note, work arounds that I have discovered,
#1 If no cooling, turn off A/c (blue button) and crank heat for a few minutes and then bring back down to low 60s and turn back on A/C. Most of the time this will kick the A/C back on.
#2 Dont turn A/C to the Lo setting. If you keep it around the 60s it appears to keep working more consistently.

ive shared all this with the Milwaukee and Highland Park service center in Chicago and it’s been radio silent. The text message approach to their customer service works great as they can ignore and not Follow-up to problems they don’t know the answer to. I assume it’s a software issue now at this point. I wish it would just break completely. In the meantime I will keep scheduling service center visits. Let me know if any of the work arounds help.

I've noticed inconsistencies in working of AC and heating. It could be a software issue since it has trouble sometimes turning on either one. Sometimes its too cold and you need to crank temperature way way up to get heat to kick in and sometimes same for AC just need to set temperature way to low...

We are heading back to Vegas this month so I schedule an appointment to have my Temp Sensor checked or replaced and also have the heat pump shield added. Will let you guys know the results of this service visit. Middle of the months and hopefully they will send a mobile ranger sooner.

Fred