Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

a/c problems - just hot air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
didn't see any posts regarding problems with the a/c unit but after roughly two weeks with my Model X, the a/c appears to be broken. it only blows out hot air regardless of the temperature setting. i've attempted the hard reboot of the car hoping that it was a tech glitch but that didn't work. wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and what the issue or fix was?

bummed that i will probably have to send the car back to the service center again - already went in once for a broken passenger door latch.

thanks for any information!

FWIW Our X's AC blew intermittently hot and cold from the first day we drive it home. It turned out that the factory plumbed the compressor backwards. I'm amazed it worked at all. After over a week in service, and some serious X withdrawal, we now have a perfectly functioning AC system.

FWIW Our X's AC blew intermittently hot and cold from the first day we drive it home. It turned out that the factory plumbed the compressor backwards. I'm amazed it worked at all. After over a week in service, and some serious X withdrawal, we now have a perfectly functioning AC system.
I thought our a/c problems were fixed but that was fleeting. the exact same a/c problems started up again - intermittent cold air / hot air when a/c is on. i was trying to pin it down and it seemed like temps over 80 and the a/c would blow hot air. anything under 80 and the a/c works fine. very strange but i'll have the SC check the compressor when i bring it back to the SC again this weekend.

I thought our a/c problems were fixed but that was fleeting. the exact same a/c problems started up again - intermittent cold air / hot air when a/c is on. i was trying to pin it down and it seemed like temps over 80 and the a/c would blow hot air. anything under 80 and the a/c works fine. very strange but i'll have the SC check the compressor when i bring it back to the SC again this weekend.
Hey Mr.science3000,

my SC here in the Bay Area is wondering if you might provide a VIN # to me (last few digits i believe is all they need) so they can check the issue on their side to see if it might help fix my similar issues!

thanks!

I am having same issue with Model X (about a year old). AC was blowing HOT AIR out at us during heat wave this week. Seriously unbearable inside the car. Dropped off the X at a SC a couple of days ago and got a loaner Model S. AC in the loaner was working fine but then today, the same thing is happening - HOT AIR coming out. Haven't changed any climate settings so i don't know why it would have changed. Am I doing something wrong?? Climate is on, everything is on Auto, and the temp is set to LO. The air is hotter inside the car than outside!

Also, interestingly I also had a problem with the front door latches like the OP and had to take it in last month.

Also in case anyone else comes across this problem, I picked up my car today from the SC and they had replaced a faulty compressor.

I had a faulty compressor as well. I didn't realize I did until a couple days after delivery!

It's a triple!! Faulty compressor, leaked refrigerant and pinched o rings.
Thankfully it was only my car, and not me. ;)

I see a trend here.....:D
Here is my recent service sheet. Very responsive; they took me in immediately following my call to the SvC.

IMG_1338a.jpg

Got my MX back and the fix was:

Concern: AC blows warm air.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Battery Chiller
Function tested and verified concern. Replaced battery chiller, function tested and verified
AC is now operating as designed.

ASSY, BATT CHILLER AND EXV, MX
(1037357-00-D)
1 O-RING, HNBR, 12.22mm (ID) x 2.48mm (T)
(1010832-00-A)
1 O-RING, HNBR 6.07 x 2.18 (1024772-00-A) 1

General question on this topic would be what should I expect from the X in regards to AC performance? Mine works and it does cool the car but it doesn't ever get to meat locker like as you do with similar ICE vehicles. Is this a limitation I should anticipate or an indictation of some issue to get checked out. Thanks....

General question on this topic would be what should I expect from the X in regards to AC performance? Mine works and it does cool the car but it doesn't ever get to meat locker like as you do with similar ICE vehicles. Is this a limitation I should anticipate or an indictation of some issue to get checked out. Thanks....
I just got my Model X back a few days ago from having the AC fixed. To me, the AC up front get's pretty cold but because the sun is shining down on my head it doesn't have that meat locker feel. But when I hop into the back it's super cold. I'm running at 69F on a 95+ day.

Hope that helps.