Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SomeJoe7777

Marginally-Known Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houston, TX
9 month old P3D+. Started noticing that when I first start up the car and the A/C comes on, I'm getting a very distinct vinegar-like odor coming from the ventilation system. Puzzled me for several days, couldn't figure out what it might be.

I know a lot of cars sometimes have a mold problem in the ventilation system and it can end up with a musty smell. But this odor isn't musty, it's acrid/acidic. And the car seems to be too new to be getting a mold problem.

I thought at first it could be a refrigerant leak, but I dismissed this idea as everything I read said that refrigerant smells sweet. But, come to find out all of those write-ups were talking about older HCFC refrigerants like R-12 that have long since been phased out. Most cars since the late 90's / early 2000's have used R-134a refrigerant instead, which has a very faint ether-like odor, if any at all.

However, in 2018, the automotive industry adopted a new refrigerant with even lower global warming potential called R-1234yf, also known as HFO-1234yf. The chemical used is 2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene. When 2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene is exposed to air, it decomposes into several chemicals, but one of the major decomposition products is Trifluoroacetic acid, which (surprise) smells like vinegar (acetic acid). In fact, it's the same atomic structure as vinegar, but with 3 hydrogens replaced with 3 fluorines.

My theory is that I have a tiny slow leak in the evaporator coil, and when the vehicle is sitting, refrigerant gas is slowly leaking into the ventilation duct, collecting there, and decomposing to trifluoroacetic acid. When the vehicle is started up and the fan starts, the trifluoroacetic acid is blown into the cabin, creating the vinegar smell. As the trifluoroacetic acid clears the car, the smell goes away and the leak rate is so low that you can't smell it any more until the next time the vehicle is stopped and the gas is allowed to collect again.

I'm also starting to notice that I'm getting hissing and gurgling sounds from the dash on startup, an indication that the refrigerant level is decreasing in the system.

Anyone have any experience with the new R-1234yf refrigerant and has seen or heard of this before? As this refrigerant only came into use last year, any internet mentions of it are scarce.

I can't find any data on what refrigerant is used in the Model 3. And it's possible it's been changed from the early 3's as well.

Here's an old letter from Tesla and specifies that R134a is used in the Model 3 (when it was released for 2017):
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=40001&flag=1

That being said, Tesla has a part for both R134a fill-port and a R1234yf fill-port on their Model 3 part catalog:
https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47377

Either way, I'm fairly certain they aren't actually selling R1234yf versions in the US. It's just too expensive.

I have the issue of the smell now that it has warmed up. Almost glycol sweet smell that goes away quickly. Occurs when being not used for a couple days. Other times is when I haven't conditioned the car and the AC starts up while I am in car.

I experienced this last spring. The refrigerant was low in car. Now we are going to see where it is this time as far as refrigerant.

• Disagree
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Either way, I'm fairly certain they aren't actually selling R1234yf versions in the US. It's just too expensive.

It's possible, but I have a few curious data points:

1. R-1234yf was selected as the successor to R-134a as it's a nearly drop-in replacement in most systems. Only a few minor parts need to be modified. This makes it such that Tesla could have switched last year without difficulty. While the refrigerant may be more expensive, it would be in line with Tesla's design philosophy to make sustainable transportation since the global warming potential is so much lower than R-134a.

2. Wikipedia article on 2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene states that 50% of 2018 automobile models are already using R-1234yf. This is corroborated here: Ask the Expert: How many light duty OEs use HFO-1234yf refrigerant?. That article was written May of 2018, and my P3D+ was produced in August or September 2018.

3. Tesla would not try to build separate versions of the vehicles out of one factory. If Europe requires R-1234yf, then Tesla would build only R-1234yf.

Thank you very much for the part numbers page -- it's possible I might be able to discover which refrigerant my vehicle is using by looking at the part numbers stamped on some of the A/C system parts. I'll have to do that this weekend, as I'll have to remove the frunk liner.

It's possible, but I have a few curious data points:

1. R-1234yf was selected as the successor to R-134a as it's a nearly drop-in replacement in most systems. Only a few minor parts need to be modified. This makes it such that Tesla could have switched last year without difficulty. While the refrigerant may be more expensive, it would be in line with Tesla's design philosophy to make sustainable transportation since the global warming potential is so much lower than R-134a.

2. Wikipedia article on 2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene states that 50% of 2018 automobile models are already using R-1234yf. This is corroborated here: Ask the Expert: How many light duty OEs use HFO-1234yf refrigerant?. That article was written May of 2018, and my P3D+ was produced in August or September 2018.

3. Tesla would not try to build separate versions of the vehicles out of one factory. If Europe requires R-1234yf, then Tesla would build only R-1234yf.

Thank you very much for the part numbers page -- it's possible I might be able to discover which refrigerant my vehicle is using by looking at the part numbers stamped on some of the A/C system parts. I'll have to do that this weekend, as I'll have to remove the frunk liner.

I don't think I agree with you on point 3. They clearly have two PNs in the system, explicitly for this purpose. Also, my understanding is the only big delta is an additional piece in the R1234yf system. Also, R1234yf refridgerant is something like $60/lb vs $4/lb for R134a. Assuming you're talking 2 pounds per car (which, some cars require a lot more), the delta is close to $120. That's well worth it per car in savings.

I don't think I agree with you on point 3. They clearly have two PNs in the system, explicitly for this purpose. Also, my understanding is the only big delta is an additional piece in the R1234yf system. Also, R1234yf refridgerant is something like $60/lb vs $4/lb for R134a. Assuming you're talking 2 pounds per car (which, some cars require a lot more), the delta is close to $120. That's well worth it per car in savings.

I have two Model 3's, one is a very early build (Feb 2018), VIN 0040xx. I may try to compare it with the P3D that's having the problem (August/September 2018 build), VIN 0786xx, and see if the parts are different.

As far as the price, yes, R-1234yf is quite a bit more expensive than R-134a, but the $60/lb is retail. If a car company chooses to use it, they can call Honeywell/Dupont and get a much better deal. I bet Tesla gets it for a lot less.

I have two Model 3's, one is a very early build (Feb 2018), VIN 0040xx. I may try to compare it with the P3D that's having the problem (August/September 2018 build), VIN 0786xx, and see if the parts are different.

As far as the price, yes, R-1234yf is quite a bit more expensive than R-134a, but the $60/lb is retail. If a car company chooses to use it, they can call Honeywell/Dupont and get a much better deal. I bet Tesla gets it for a lot less.

Even assuming it's $20/lb, which is probably generous, that's $40 minimum in savings per car. I guarantee they're willing to do that, given the cost-saving measures. Unless there's a regulatory reason to do it, R134a makes more sense.

Even assuming it's $20/lb, which is probably generous, that's $40 minimum in savings per car. I guarantee they're willing to do that, given the cost-saving measures. Unless there's a regulatory reason to do it, R134a makes more sense.

It very well might, I don't know. But there is also a cost to maintain two inventories of parts, two supplies of refrigerant, and to build two different models on the same production line. If that cost per car is more than the refrigerant, then they save money by just switching all cars to R-1234yf.

I'll post here with some pictures if I can find out for sure which refrigerant systems my Model 3's use.

Oh by the way, that other thread where people are talking about the same vinegar-like odor is here:

Model 3 Weird Smell

Since this appears to be affecting more than just a handful of people, it very well might be a mold issue, not a refrigerant leak. One person posted the service comments from having his fixed, and it was a cleaning and filter change. Apparently, the late 2018 models had a software issue that did not run the fan after the A/C was turned off after the car was shut down, thus allowing moisture to collect. That software error has been fixed, but the evaporators apparently now have to be cleaned. That post is here:

Model 3 Weird Smell

DuPont doesn't make or sell 1234yf.. but your point on oem pricing makes sense..

Interesting that a company like Tesla which holds sustainability as a key value (and it is for many of their customers as well) wouldn't use the more environmentally friendly product despite the cost..

Did you ever find anything else out, or get a resolution to your issue?

Last edited:
Did they charge you $160 for the filter?

So I had the cleaning done to 2 different Model 3's. My newer one was covered under warranty and there was no charge. The older one just got cleaned about a week ago, but the service ticket is not yet complete because there's another unrelated repair that we're waiting on parts for. After that service ticket is complete, they will probably charge me for that cleaning.

Here's an old letter from Tesla and specifies that R134a is used in the Model 3 (when it was released for 2017):
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=40001&flag=1

That being said, Tesla has a part for both R134a fill-port and a R1234yf fill-port on their Model 3 part catalog:
Parts Catalog

I came across this thread when researching the imminent ban of R134a (GWP ~1400) for home refrigerators sold in the U.S. effective January 1, 2022. Some R600a (isobutane, GWP ~6) fridges are being sold now.

Anyway, I have a dual-motor Model 3 with a build date of September 2018, so I assume to save
a few bucks, Tesla filled with the cheaper R134a in the U.S ...

My question is whether this "dual fill" part means 2018 Model 3s can be filled with R1234yf
(GWP recently revised to < 1) when the time comes to service the A/C (what is the warranty
for broken A/C?).

That is, does the "dual fill" mean all other parts like valves, seals, and hoses were designed for R1234yf
on the Tesla, requiring no further attention? I understand the flammability requirements were
different for the two refrigerants, so I hope that it's all a "drop in" refrigerant situation with the same
underlying system for both U.S. and Europe.

does anyone have experience of switching from freon 1234 to 134 to model 3? I am in Ukraine and there is no way to fill 1234 at the moment. The charging ports do not bother, there are adapters. compressors are not different? at the expense of 150 grams of oil and the nd11 model, I know.