TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

A/C seems a bit loud/vibrates

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AluminiumStork, Dec 17, 2014.

1. AluminiumStork

Dec 12, 2014
    Miami, Florida
    Granted it is winter but in South Florida it is never winter... And I don't enjoy smelling the other cars fumes so I raise the windows in traffic and turn on the A/C. I have only had my MS85 for 6 days now, but it seems like the A/C is not as quiet as when I first turned it on 5 days ago. The car also tends to vibrate a bit when it is on... is this normal?
  2. Rockster

Rockster Member

Oct 22, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    I've had A/C components replaced once due to extensive vibrations. So strong that the front seat passengers could feel the vibrations in the floor boards. There was also a very dramatic "hamster wheel" squeak as the fan slowed to a stop when shutting the car off. Thanks to the replacement, there's less noise and vibration now, but it's still quite noticeable (more the noise than the vibration). The SC told us that there is a redesign in the works and we're on the list for this "A/C 2.0," whatever that entails, when the redesign is complete.
  3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mar 8, 2012
    The vibration is pretty normal (mine isn't nearly as bad as Rockster's). However, there are two tricks:

1) Start the a/c at a higher than normal temperature so that it doesn't come on full blast when starting.

2) When you have excessive vibration, just turn it off and then right back on again. That seems to quiet it down.
  4. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Jan 17, 2014
    Plano, TX
    Mine will do it right after starting a drive. It goes through "steps" where the humming goes up in pitch and volume, then down again. After about 2 minutes it stops and there's no noise or vibration no matter how hard the AC has to work.

I checked with the SC and they say mine can be fixed by installing a "AC compressor blanket". I'm scheduled to have it done mid January.
  5. KOL2000

KOL2000 Member

Apr 30, 2013
    San Diego

I had the blanket and new bracket installed last week. Completely fixed this issue.
  6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I am wondering if this is what I experienced today. When leaving my desk to go home, I flipped on the app and saw the inside cabin was 108 degrees. I vented the sunroof and turned on climate control. 7 minutes later I was in the car and could hear a very, very loud hum over the stereo. I could feel strong vibration on the brake pedal and in the steering wheel. It threw me off and I was worried, but I figured maybe the AC was working overtime. It weakened over the next 10 minutes before finally dissipating. During that time, I also saw my energy usage was over 600 Wh/mile. It was 91 outdoors at the time. I have to take the car into service in the morning anyway, so I thought I would ask them about it.
  7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    For me it "mostly" fixed it. I still get some noise and vibration when it spools up high, but not as bad as before the retrofit.
  8. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Georgetown, ON
    The best thing with the A/ works fast! It might be noisy, but it works well.
    The blanket does reduce the noise of the A/C. However, you will still notice when the A/C is on because there is no engine noise to block out the sound.
    I'm happy with the blanket fix.