TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A/C smell and water

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by thesteve, Jun 10, 2018.

1. thesteve

thesteve Member

Both me and my wife got headaches after a long drive I think maybe the A/C but what would cause this? We just got this car. We tried airing it out opening all windows and recent I was running a/c for a couple hours in our closed garage. When I came back it's leaking out some fluids. Maybe water. Any ideas if this is normal?

Any ideas what's giving us a headache? New car smell?

Attached Files:

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

AC condensation is normal in practically every car.

Not sure on the headache, but if you hit the acceleration hard all the time and you're not used to it, I'd imagine your neck muscles and the muscles on the back of your scalp will complain about it.

If it is a smell you're probably better off with the windows down for a while.

3. roblab

roblab Active Member

Not sure why you'd run the AC in a closed garage unless you're trying to dehumidify it. Other than that, in humid times, condensed water runs off the cold coil in the car and gets routed outside. It's possible your water tray is not draining properly (tube goes from below inside AC coil to outside) and mold grows in the drainage tray.

If you're not comfortable with laying on your back looking up under the dashboard, maybe pulling a part or two, you might have a body shop check it. They do that sort of thing fixing cars and probably can call up the Tesla parts book. For that matter, it's possible you can download what you need, but I don't see where right now.

As an alternative, you could move to drier climates. Humidity is a pain.

4. drawfour

drawfour Member

I don't have a Tesla yet, but A/C is always that way, in any car. It condenses water out of the air, and the water has to go somewhere. Normally, while you're driving, it just drops away on the road and you don't know, but it pools if you stop. So I typically stop my A/C when I'm a couple minutes from home. Just switch it off and keep the vents blowing. It typically means no pooling in the garage because everything that was condensed has already dropped off by the time I get in the garage.

5. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Any smells that you associated with it? How long have you had the car? The A/C compressor should not cause this, although on my Model S before they fixed it the compressor was loud enough to give me a headache! :)

6. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

I left the windows down every night for a week after I got the car. The new car smell was crazy strong with mine. Now 2 months later I always get compliments on how good the car smells... People say it kind of smells like donuts which is very odd since I've never once carried donuts in it...

7. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Perhaps you tried to do donuts with the car? :p

8. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Aside from the new car smell, I haven't experienced any odd smells coming from the vents.