Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C stopped working after 2020.12.10 Update......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sooo everything seemed to work great the last few days after new update, then after work today I was sweating b***s and A/C wouldn’t work whatsoever.

-did the 2 button steering wheel reset, power off reset through security settings, and nothing happened
-Tesla tech on the phone told me that A/C compressor might have stopped talking to the system after the update - went through resets with me and nothing worked still with A/C
-tacking this onto an existing service appointment next Monday

Even tech support told me that Model Y’s don’t have good quality control and he apologized on the phone......

sooo everything seemed to work great the last few days after new update, then after work today I was sweating b***s and A/C wouldn’t work whatsoever.

-did the 2 button steering wheel reset, power off reset through security settings, and nothing happened
-Tesla tech on the phone told me that A/C compressor might have stopped talking to the system after the update - went through resets with me and nothing worked still with A/C

Even tech support told me that Model Y’s don’t have good quality control and he apologized on the phone......
Thank God I’m not the only one. Same thing happened to me. I even setup an appointment to bring it in. Then magically it started working like a champ. For some reason it seems like they are still working out the kinks with the AC unit in the Y. Every time I receive a new update the AC stops for about 20ish minutes then works again....

This happened to me on 2020.10.5.8 or whatever was before. I tried everything. Finally, powered off and let the car go to sleep. Woke up 30 minutes later with the app. AC started working. Before the app was generating an error.

• Informative
Reactions: jasonLA
UPDATE 4/27/20 - Tesla service techs confirmed that it was a firmware issue where software wasn't speaking with A/C system so it might get glitchy for some folks still.

They will be fixing it with future software releases so be aware if your A/C is blowing hot air and nothing works with resets.

For those whose AC didn’t work, do you know if your heat worked? I picked up my MY PUP on Monday, only to realize the AC wasn’t working after leaving the delivery center. I checked the heat, and it doesn’t work either. Reboots, updates and letting car sleep hasn’t helped...

I've just gone through this again. Heat worked but ac would not turn on. First time was right after delivery, the cause was faulty wiring. SC replaced wires. Few days after ac stopped working again. Car was back to SC and they had to replace the computer in the car as it was sending faulty signal to the humidity sensor. I think there is some really bad ac design in the MY.

My service center just let me know they’re replacing the compressor. They didn’t see any evidence of electrical, sensor or refrigerant leak issues, just a compressor fault. Should be fixed in a few days once they get the new compressor.

While it’s annoying going through this with a brand new car, the service and sales teams have handled it very professionally. Hopefully this solves the issue with my car. The new HVAC system is an overall engineering improvement. Hope they can work through these initial issues so others don’t experience them.

One last update on my car. Service found a second part (coolant manifold) that needed to be replaced in addition to the compressor. Unfortunately, the part is unique to MY and it will take several weeks or more to get one due to factory shut downs. So, the sales team recommended I return the car, which I did.

I’ll likely just wait 6-12 months in case these HVAC issues are not just one off issues, and order another one. I really loved the car, and am confident it will prove to be a great car in the long run.

12+ months unless they give you a waiver on the return policy reorder restrictions.
Yeah, my sales rep and his boss both said not to worry about the restriction since the HVAC system never worked and they couldn’t say when it would be fixed. They were very helpful throughout the process.

A better QA process would have likely caught the issue before I got the car, but their return policy and customer service made sure I didn’t get stuck with a car that would be in the shop long-term.

Reactions: MP3Mike