Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Stopped Working. Anything I can do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The A/C in my LR AWD M3 stopped blowing cold air today. Did a reboot and a reboot with the brake pedal pushed (not sure that really does anything), made sure the A/C button was blue (both in Automatic and Manual) and no luck. Got my HW3 update a few weeks ago and wondering if that's somehow involved. Car has 2020.24.6.4 installed.

Made an appointment for my local service center (Springfield, NJ) but first appointment isn't until July 28, which is nearly three weeks from now.

Any additional troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You could try a power off from the menu as that clears things more than the normal reboot (and, yeah, brake pedal does nothing more than doing a second reboot which is sometimes needed).

Be sure to wait 2-3 minutes touching nothing after the power off then open the door to restart. Hard to see how the AP computer could affect the AC but who knows if anything else was messed with.

Sorry to hear A/C is not working during this hot weather. I wonder when parked and you turn on the Climate control from the phone app if it will turn on A/C. Probably won't make a difference, but if it did it would help track down the problem.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
3 weeks for an appointment just to have the issue looked at is unacceptable. Who knows how long it’ll take for the repair once they determine what the issue is? We’re not talking about a malfunctioning radio. With temps in the 90’s A/C is almost a necessity.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Turned out to be a leaking thermostat. The coolant leaked enough to shut down the ac. SC replaced the part after a day of a loaner. Heard this is not good to drive as the same system cools the battery. Good luck.

• Helpful
No A/C in the summertime is an emergency.
Depends on where. In places like Phoenix or Vegas, I'd agree with you.

My dad had a 1980 Chevy Chevette with no AC. The car was a POS but he drove it to/from work for quite a long time.

In my city (same where we lived when he had the Chevette), it will be a high of 89 F tomorrow. (It gets to the 90s and even 100's in the summer sometimes). In the city of San Francisco tomorrow, the forecasted high temp is only 67 F.

When MNL goes back up, if one is curious about the possible (and not that rare) huge variation in high temps in the SF Bay Area during the summer, see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=533224#p533224. In the summer, It can be a huge like high of 55 F in one city (next to the ocean) and 100 F inland. On another day it was 62 F in San Francisco but 111 F in Dublin.

Last edited:
The A/C in my LR AWD M3 stopped blowing cold air today. Did a reboot and a reboot with the brake pedal pushed (not sure that really does anything), made sure the A/C button was blue (both in Automatic and Manual) and no luck. Got my HW3 update a few weeks ago and wondering if that's somehow involved. Car has 2020.24.6.4 installed.

Made an appointment for my local service center (Springfield, NJ) but first appointment isn't until July 28, which is nearly three weeks from now.

Set the Temp to 61 degrees after the reboot. For some reason the A/C doesn’t like the LO setting, had this issue last week while in Las Vegas at 115 degrees.

Fred

• Helpful

Did you call the service center? Forget the app just call or drive there and say u need a loaner and leave it for 3 weeks

Reactions: vickh and C141medic
Set the Temp to 61 degrees after the reboot. For some reason the A/C doesn’t like the LO setting, had this issue last week while in Las Vegas at 115 degrees.

Fred

It's funny on the other end @ 81 too

Took into service : AC blowing hot air from the rear only.

Response:
Performed thermal system test and vehicle passed. Performed ac actuator test and passed. When customer temp sets
cabin temperature to 79 degs, depending on ambient temperature it will active PTC heater. PTC heater sits inside the
cabin lower section in conjunction with lower ac duct that goes to rear. This will cause rear air duct to heat up, making
rear air warmer than front. Fix at this time is to shut off rear airflow from touchscreen. Future firmware will be released to
aid with this condition

It's 110+ambient temperature i here so 79 shouldn't trigger heat. I like relatively high, + doesn't it save range?

It's funny on the other end @ 81 too

Took into service : AC blowing hot air from the rear only.

Response:
Performed thermal system test and vehicle passed. Performed ac actuator test and passed. When customer temp sets
cabin temperature to 79 degs, depending on ambient temperature it will active PTC heater. PTC heater sits inside the
cabin lower section in conjunction with lower ac duct that goes to rear. This will cause rear air duct to heat up, making
rear air warmer than front. Fix at this time is to shut off rear airflow from touchscreen. Future firmware will be released to
aid with this condition

It's 110+ambient temperature i here so 79 shouldn't trigger heat. I like relatively high, + doesn't it save range?
Yeah I hate when they revert to the fix it all Soon to be released firmware update fix. Turn off the rear vents and see what happens.

Fred

Reactions: C141medic
If the SC is close to you just drive over there first thing in the morning. Explain the situation and they may tell you to come back first thing the next day or two but I doubt they make you wait until the end of the month. Works for me every time when there’s not very many appointment options.