TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A/C Temperature Fluctuations

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by bigsmooth125, Jun 29, 2013.

1. bigsmooth125

bigsmooth125 Member

Now that it's around a 100 degrees where I live, I notice that sometimes the air blowing from my A/C vents gets quite warm for about a minute and then cools down again. During this warmer-than-usual period, the temperature is actually a bit uncomfortable both for me and my passengers. Sometimes this behavior correlates with accelerating, sometimes during cruising. Anyone else experience this?

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I suspect the car is diverting some cool air to the drivetrain (battery/motor) to cool it off below some threshold.

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I've noticed that it does sometimes blow not as cold air. I didn't correlate it with accelerating (meaning I don't think it is in my experience). I've noticed that sometimes, the compressor seems to "shut off" for a minute or two, then re-engages. And it is during this shut down period where it's slightly warmer. What I've done when this happened is lowered the temp on teh climate control and it (a) blows out more air initially, which helps and then (b) seems to kick the compressor back on more quickly than it would, which remedies the situation.

Not a big deal, and in no situation would I say it got uncomfortable or blew out warm air.

4. 7racer

7racer Member

is this like the Roadster? Ours blows warm when the PEM/battery start to get hot. Can you guys correlate it to that?

5. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

POssible. Unfortunately, the MS doesnt have a means to gauge battery temp.