Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Cabriolet, a Van and a Crossover/SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been kicking around for a while, but the date on this is fresh! Perhaps this is a confirmation that their ambitions are unchanged? We already know about Model X, leaving the van and cabriolet (Roadster 3.0?)

tesla_future_models.jpg

The latest thing I heard from a Tesla employee was, "First Model S, then Model X, then the $30,000 mass-market car, and then the new sports car, but it will be very different from the current Roadster".

Until now I had the impression the new Roadster would come between Model X and mass-market car. Maybe that changed, or maybe that will be the Model S performance version.

Until now I had the impression the new Roadster would come between Model X and mass-market car. Maybe that changed, or maybe that will be the Model S performance version.

Yes, I seem to recall hearing the same thing originally, but I never thought it made sense. Tesla needs to maximize shareholder value, and they're going to do that with a mass-market car, not a niche sports car.

Yes, I seem to recall hearing the same thing originally, but I never thought it made sense. Tesla needs to maximize shareholder value, and they're going to do that with a mass-market car, not a niche sports car.

The mass-market car is certainly the ultimate goal. Just perhaps Tesla would want to keep its image as a cool sports car manufacturer. :)

My guess is that the original plan was Model-R ("Darkstar" Roadster) then Model-S ("Whitestar" luxury Sedan), then Model-T ("Bluestar" mass market car), but along the way they realized that Model-X as a Model-S variant was a better short term goal.

Last edited:
The mass-market car is certainly the ultimate goal. Just perhaps Tesla would want to keep its image as a cool sports car manufacturer. :)

Yeah, I'm sure they want to keep the EV sports car cred, but dollars speak louder. They must execute on Model S and X. Bluestar is their opportunity to become a more significant player in the market. A new sports car is a niche product. I'm sure they'll do it if they are successful with their other vehicles, but I'd be very surprised if they prioritize it over any of the other vehicles they have announced.

I would also believe they can end up doing a deal with Toyota for the Bluestar. That way they supply powertrain and Toyota does the rest f. inst. after all the Leaf Mk 2 og Mk3 will be really hard to beat for Tesla at that price range. Or the Infiniti from Nissan anyway.

Cobos

I would also believe they can end up doing a deal with Toyota for the Bluestar. That way they supply powertrain and Toyota does the rest f. inst. after all the Leaf Mk 2 og Mk3 will be really hard to beat for Tesla at that price range. Or the Infiniti from Nissan anyway.

Cobos

While I won't rule this out, I kind of doubt this will happen. Tesla bought the NUMMI plant (now the Tesla Factory), which was capable of producing 500,000 vehicles per year. They walled off 80% of the factory because it wasn't needed for producing only 20,000 Model S's per year. I think the idea was to open it back up to produce the Bluestar vehicles.

Also just listening to Elon speak, he seems to like to be in control of everything. There were a lot of problems when the Roadster was first being made that could have been avoided if more of the Roadster was made by Tesla. I think Tesla is trying to move in the direction of making as much as possible in house.