TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A Cabriolet, a Van and a Crossover/SUV

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by NigelM, Aug 11, 2011.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just found this and don't recall seeing it elsewhere - sorry if it's duplicated!

Exclusive interview with Leonhard v. Harrach, Sales Manager Germany, Tesla

http://www.cars21.com/content/articles/63720110811.php

2. JimmWilks

JimmWilks Member

It has been kicking around for a while, but the date on this is fresh! Perhaps this is a confirmation that their ambitions are unchanged? We already know about Model X, leaving the van and cabriolet (Roadster 3.0?)

tesla_future_models.jpg

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Sounds like he's basically saying "once Model S is out, and we see how successful it is, we can more easily map out future projects"

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The latest thing I heard from a Tesla employee was, "First Model S, then Model X, then the $30,000 mass-market car, and then the new sports car, but it will be very different from the current Roadster".

5. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Until now I had the impression the new Roadster would come between Model X and mass-market car. Maybe that changed, or maybe that will be the Model S performance version.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, I seem to recall hearing the same thing originally, but I never thought it made sense. Tesla needs to maximize shareholder value, and they're going to do that with a mass-market car, not a niche sports car.

7. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

The mass-market car is certainly the ultimate goal. Just perhaps Tesla would want to keep its image as a cool sports car manufacturer. :)

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Or perhaps it can keep its image as a cool car manufacturer and make a cool mass-market car :).

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#9 TEG, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    My guess is that the original plan was Model-R ("Darkstar" Roadster) then Model-S ("Whitestar" luxury Sedan), then Model-T ("Bluestar" mass market car), but along the way they realized that Model-X as a Model-S variant was a better short term goal.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, I'm sure they want to keep the EV sports car cred, but dollars speak louder. They must execute on Model S and X. Bluestar is their opportunity to become a more significant player in the market. A new sports car is a niche product. I'm sure they'll do it if they are successful with their other vehicles, but I'd be very surprised if they prioritize it over any of the other vehicles they have announced.

11. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I would also believe they can end up doing a deal with Toyota for the Bluestar. That way they supply powertrain and Toyota does the rest f. inst. after all the Leaf Mk 2 og Mk3 will be really hard to beat for Tesla at that price range. Or the Infiniti from Nissan anyway.

Cobos

12. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

While I won't rule this out, I kind of doubt this will happen. Tesla bought the NUMMI plant (now the Tesla Factory), which was capable of producing 500,000 vehicles per year. They walled off 80% of the factory because it wasn't needed for producing only 20,000 Model S's per year. I think the idea was to open it back up to produce the Bluestar vehicles.

Also just listening to Elon speak, he seems to like to be in control of everything. There were a lot of problems when the Roadster was first being made that could have been avoided if more of the Roadster was made by Tesla. I think Tesla is trying to move in the direction of making as much as possible in house.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That sentence deserves some kind of award.

14. S-2000 Roadster

:cool:

15. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I personally will lament the end of the Roadster. What manner of EV super car will there be for us to dream about?

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Next Gen. Tesla Roadster II !!!!

17. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

But we don't even know what that will be. And we won't be able to buy it. I kind of wish they would keep their Roadster line until it gets replaced by a new one.

18. kgb

kgb Member

I kinda like knowing there won't be a Roadster 3.0 any time soon. No buyer's remorse when TM comes out with a sexier car right after accepting delivery. "Sorry" to all the 1.5 and 2.0 owners.

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And "Sorry" to you with that cheap version of our car. :)

20. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Heyyyy! Stop it!