Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Canadian perspective, and what options will you be getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a Canadian perspective, I need to factor in the exchange rates.

My expectation is that the base Model 3 with come in at approximately $46,000CAD.

So; $46,000 @2.9% for 84mo is $605.79. Minus about $100ish in savings for fuel vs hydro and we are at $505.79. (This would be for the non-EV friendly provinces).

Fortunately I live in Ontario who just increased the incentive to $13,000 for this spec of vehicle.

So now we are talking of an effective base model price of $33,000 @ 2.9% for 60mo (shorter term), is $591.55. Minus the $100 fuel savings and now we are at a more reasonable $491.55 a month.

With that out of the way... I will not be going with the base model. I find it odd to include options like supercharging and autopilot because those are simply software upgrades that can be done in the future.

My focus will be on options that cannot be changed.

The breakdown of my expectations/ options I will choose is as follows;
$33,000 - Base price in Ontario after incentives
$6,000 - for upgraded battery expecting a Model 3 70 (extra 15kw @ $300USD per KW at consumer cost = $4,500USD comes to $5,668CAD. Just rounding up here)
$1,000 - Cold weather package
$3,000 - Premium upgrade package (judging from Tesla's website this would include things like leather interior and other fancy "cow-bells"

All in I'm looking at $43,000CAD @2.9% for 84mo is $566.28, minus fuel comes to $466.28CAD approximately per month. I think that is reasonable considering your getting a well equipped Tesla with some really really decent options. I don't need, nor want a performance model as it will already be damn fast as is.

I have recently opened up a Tesla saving account as none of this math includes a down payment. My expectation is to take delivery in approximately 24 months as I was number 20 in line at the Yorkdale Mall Toronto, ON location on launch day. I'm looking to have about $10,000 saved up by then!

So, now it's you turn... do you agree with my calculations? What will you be choosing?

Lets discuss!

From a Canadian perspective, I need to factor in the exchange rates.

My expectation is that the base Model 3 with come in at approximately $46,000CAD.

So; $46,000 @2.9% for 84mo is $605.79. Minus about $100ish in savings for fuel vs hydro and we are at $505.79. (This would be for the non-EV friendly provinces).

Fortunately I live in Ontario who just increased the incentive to $13,000 for this spec of vehicle.

So now we are talking of an effective base model price of $33,000 @ 2.9% for 60mo (shorter term), is $591.55. Minus the $100 fuel savings and now we are at a more reasonable $491.55 a month.

With that out of the way... I will not be going with the base model. I find it odd to include options like supercharging and autopilot because those are simply software upgrades that can be done in the future.

My focus will be on options that cannot be changed.

The breakdown of my expectations/ options I will choose is as follows;
$33,000 - Base price in Ontario after incentives
$6,000 - for upgraded battery expecting a Model 3 70 (extra 15kw @ $300USD per KW at consumer cost = $4,500USD comes to $5,668CAD. Just rounding up here)
$1,000 - Cold weather package
$3,000 - Premium upgrade package (judging from Tesla's website this would include things like leather interior and other fancy "cow-bells"

All in I'm looking at $43,000CAD @2.9% for 84mo is $566.28, minus fuel comes to $466.28CAD approximately per month. I think that is reasonable considering your getting a well equipped Tesla with some really really decent options. I don't need, nor want a performance model as it will already be damn fast as is.

I have recently opened up a Tesla saving account as none of this math includes a down payment. My expectation is to take delivery in approximately 24 months as I was number 20 in line at the Yorkdale Mall Toronto, ON location on launch day. I'm looking to have about $10,000 saved up by then!

So, now it's you turn... do you agree with my calculations? What will you be choosing?

Lets discuss!

I plan on the Winter package as being a bonus feature.

The model S and X come with heated front seats already. Which is my requirement. Heated wipers and steering wheel are easily wanted features (and I believe wash nozzles?)

Now the heating of seats if offsetting cabin temperature can greatly help with range so adding them for that reason is a benifit.

What would put me over the top is if they included electric defrost on the windshield like the Mini Cooper has. This was an awesome feature and would push the package to needed status.

Always been a firm believer in 2wd gets you where you need to go, and AWD gets you where you want to go. But with the added range in the S70D in mountainous driving. I will probably be getting AWD, especially if it's required for the tow hitch which is a priority.

I do agree with your calculations but unfortunately there are other factors at play. There currently is a nafta duty of 6.1% added to the car due to parts manufactured outside of North America. Also it's my understanding that tesla only updates the dollar exchange quarterly. Right now they convert at 35% apparently. Plus they take an extra 1-2% as an export fee.

I am trying so hard not to be negative about this, but I will admit I was pretty bummed out when I heard about this the other day. Apparently that 6.1% duty will go away with the gigafactory. Also let's pray for a 90 cent dollar and an EV rebate for saskatchewan haha

Anyway. No matter what happens I'm in for the dual motors, cold weather package and high amp charging. I will only do the big battery if it ends up being around 5k or the dollar improves or if our ass backwards premier puts forth an EV incentive. I'm really only interested in upgrades that make the car more practical. I don't really care about flashy stuff, this car is already so nice.

Ontarians, you have nooooo idea how lucky you are to have that incentive. My god.

Reactions: BravoSarah
I think Ontario incentive is after tax, but you'll get $14,000 (extra $1,000 for 5 or more seats) so your calculations are pretty close.

$46,000 + tx - $14,000 instead of $46,000 - $13,000 + tx

That is correct. Rebates are after tax and cannot be used to reduce the capital cost. I'm planning on plunking down $14K right off the bat and playing myself back when the cheque arrives.

Reactions: pmich80
My husband has mentioned 60K as the "this is how high we can go" figure, so that gives me some wiggle room to decide on options. Like the OP, I've also started a savings account for a down payment and will have 10K saved up over the next 24 months.

We don't need the cold weather package, as it's quite mild here in Victoria. Leaning towards (in order of highest to lowest priority): dual motor, larger battery, pano roof, paint, and auto pilot. And perhaps some sort of plastic bubble to keep the kids in to prevent messes . . . ;)

For your consideration.... We used the $8500 Ontario tax rebate in 2015 to purchase solar panels for the house. We feed into the grid during the day and charge the car during the night. We still need a full year of production to confirm the numbers but it looks as if we will get 25,000 km of free Tesla driving each year for the next 30 years with only a small 20 panel array.

It's a good business case and it supports the direction Ontario wants.

Just some input for the discussion.

I will be getting:

larger battery
dual motors
autopilot
supercharger access
sub-zero weather
metallic paint
premium package (probably include homelink, ambient light, dynamic headlights, fog lights, phone dock)
fixed glass roof (?part of premium package)
tow hitch

undecided: air suspension if available

will NOT get: premium hi-fi, higher amp charger option, larger wheels/rims, leather seats, upgraded trim

Of course, this may change subject to pricing, exchange rate and any increase in wait times for some or lack of certain options.

Last edited:
For your consideration.... We used the $8500 Ontario tax rebate in 2015 to purchase solar panels for the house. We feed into the grid during the day and charge the car during the night. We still need a full year of production to confirm the numbers but it looks as if we will get 25,000 km of free Tesla driving each year for the next 30 years with only a small 20 panel array.

It's a good business case and it supports the direction Ontario wants.

Just some input for the discussion.

Damn, that's a great idea! :D

What's the probability that these incentives to disappear before for Ontario model 3 owners get their cars?! I wish I could at least apply to secure any rebates but the reservation payment doesn't count.
It's not out of the question. The election is June 2018.

The rebates are generous. I think there's a better than even chance they will be scaled back at some point in the next few years.