Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Canadian perspective, and what options will you be getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As well if you look at the MS in Canada all models are 35% higher than the US prices and options average 32.5% higher. If same holds true (in today's CDN$) than the base M3 would be $47,500. One of the issues is the S, and maybe the 3? doesn't qualify under NAFTA and incurs 6.1% duty. As well there is an incremental charge of 1.5-2%.

Quote: According to Tesla’s vice-president of worldwide sales, George Blankenship, the pricing for the Canadian market is based on U.S. pricing plus 6.1 per cent for import duties and 1.5 to two per cent for incremental transportation costs and business expenses depending on the model.

It's not out of the question. The election is June 2018.

The rebates are generous. I think there's a better than even chance they will be scaled back at some point in the next few years.

I wonder if anyone can find out how much money has been earmarked for EV Incentives or what the target is. For example, we know that an additional $20 million has been set aside for public fast-charging stations. It's absolutely inevitable that the incentives will be scaled back. There are 5800 PHEV / EV's on Ontario roads today.

Basing my numbers solely on Model 3 and assuming even the base Model 3 will qualify for the full $14000 rebate:

1000 Model 3's = $14,000,000 less funds for the Ontario Government
10000 Model 3's = $140,000,000.

Keep extrapolating and it's obvious the program will be scaled back. I just hope that Canadian Model 3's will qualify for NAFTA requirements in waiving the import duty to make the car purchase less expensive.

Wow, $47,500! Tesla charging 35% more in Canada is very discouraging considering most other car companies currently have far less markup for the same products across the border.

Here's an example:

Chevy Volt (Base-LT) - $34,095 US compared to $38,390 CAN - that's about 12.5%
Chevy Volt (Premier) - $38,440 US compared to $42,490 CAN - that's about 10.5%

If the incentives dry up and the dollar doesn't improve much, I think we will see more than a few cancelled reservations in Ontario.

Wow, $47,500! Tesla charging 35% more in Canada is very discouraging considering most other car companies currently have far less markup for the same products across the border.

Here's an example:

If the incentives dry up and the dollar doesn't improve much, I think we will see more than a few cancelled reservations in Ontario.
We don't have any incentives in SK. It's not the price on which I'm reserving my right to cancel, but infrastructure. If there's no charging stations built nearer than they are now (none within driving distance), and/or any service centres nearer than they are now (nearest one is Vancouver over 1500km away), I'm canceling.

Don't forget if you not already have a 240V outlet in the garage you get an additioal $500 towards the wall charger and $500 towards the electrical installation for another $1000 total max.

Not sure about other provinces, but in Quebec there is also a government rebate for home charging stations:

Financial assistance is available under the program up to a maximum of $600. More specifically, assistance is granted as two amounts:

• $350 for the purchase of an eligible charging station;
  • $250 for the installation of the charging station and its power supply infrastructure.
Electric Vehicles - Charging Station Rebate

Furthermore, it is also being proposed by the liberal government that all new homes built must include a 240V outlet in either the garage or outside the home.

EV incentives will be here for a while. The costs of pollution are too high to do nothing. We have a LOT of vehicles here spewing out chronic lung disease for everyone.

Counting the health costs of energy generation | Toronto Star

The Ontario government gets that. We have to educate people around us. I've already talked a coworker to drink the koolaid, he's reserved. I'm working on another one! Lol

Those from other provinces send an email or two to your MPP/MLA (whatever you call them in your province)

:)

How much is the cost of solar panels?

Our situation was unique as our cost for solar generation installation was $8000 because we did the work ourselves. I you check out EnPhase micro inverters you will see that a micro inverter for each panel makes setting up an array similar to connecting Christmas light strings.
Panel cost is supposed to drop and be more efficient so future solar arrays that are grid connected and using a net meter should also be reasonable to install. The gas savings alone for 25,000 km in our BMW equivalent car is significant. We expect the solar system to run for 30 years which is how long we expect to keep our Tesla. It's our last car and one that we told the grandchildren would run on sunshine.

EV plus Solar Array plus Grid is a wonderful way to go. FYI, with a large battery (85KW) we charge only at home for our daily driving needs so it is the one option that we promote to people buying their first EV. Get the biggest battery available. Highway travel is not an issue (we drove the East Coast last summer) and our daily needs are covered by home charging at night. Even if we had to stop and pay to charge in Northern Ontario at a government station we are putting the same power into the grid at the same time at home.

It's a good set up.

I will be getting:

larger battery
dual motors
autopilot
supercharger access
sub-zero weather
metallic paint
premium package (probably include homelink, ambient light, dynamic headlights, fog lights, phone dock)
fixed glass roof (?part of premium package)
tow hitch

undecided: air suspension if available

will NOT get: premium hi-fi, higher amp charger option, larger wheels/rims, leather seats, upgraded trim

Of course, this may change subject to pricing, exchange rate and any increase in wait times for some or lack of certain options.

Yah I think i'm with you on that option list,

Although I would prefer air suspension for comfort, I am seriously looking into the possibilities of coil suspension, so that I can change it later and drop the car Lower than what the air suspension can do...(I just hope by the time it comes out, i'm happy with the Low suspension settings so that I wont have to do that, because as you know it's not practical in winter...) Or maybe swaping air and coil throughout the year...I don't know we'll see...
But yah i'm into low ridez lol, and I wanna be one of the first in Canada to modify a model 3, got some creative projects in line, one thing for sure is if they release the car with the current facia, that would be an urgent mod...lol

which Color are you thinking about? how much you think all that will cost?

I also applied the ev rebate of $8500 directly to the dealership when I bought my Nissan Leaf. I'm in agreement that the ev rebate for the M3 should be $13,800 if all things stay equal in Ontario before the Tesla's start arriving to our area. That said, if Tesla keeps its anticipated production date for late 2017, then it's possible we may see deliveries in our area in the fall o 2018 or before if we are being optimistic. (Here's hoping but it's all speculative)

I've also started a savings account and my wish list includes the following;

1) Autopilot ( even though this could be added at a later date you will be paying a higher premium afterwards. Secondly, strong speculation indicates that this car will have Hub and the most advanced automous features we've seen to date"

2) Winter package is a requirement in our crazy winters

3) Thinking about the AWD model but have yet to decide. Even though I have had no issues with the Leaf in the Snow.

4) Glassroof, premium interior with upgraded sound system (possible)

I'm budgeting $60,000 for the car before the rebate so approximately 46,000 after the Ontario rebate.

I know it's too early to speculate on all this but hell,what else can we d. The second reveal is still a year away :(

For your consideration.... We used the $8500 Ontario tax rebate in 2015 to purchase solar panels for the house. We feed into the grid during the day and charge the car during the night. We still need a full year of production to confirm the numbers but it looks as if we will get 25,000 km of free Tesla driving each year for the next 30 years with only a small 20 panel array.

It's a good business case and it supports the direction Ontario wants.

Just some input for the discussion.

Hey that's great, Could you describe a bit your charging system? Like specs on the solar panel, Charger (Tesla I assume...). Interested in sharing how much power you are sending back to the grid, and the cash return on that? $/KW ? if it's not too much too ask
Just to get a rough idea, by the time I get a car, if the GTA house market doesn't double if not triple by then lol, I might get a house...so I'm thinking maybe I can incorporate a similar system as well...

btw: Don85D would make a nice custom plate on a P85D ;)

I also applied the ev rebate of $8500 directly to the dealership when I bought my Nissan Leaf. I'm in agreement that the ev rebate for the M3 should be $13,800 if all things stay equal in Ontario before the Tesla's start arriving to our area. That said, if Tesla keeps its anticipated production date for late 2017, then it's possible we may see deliveries in our area in the fall o 2018 or before if we are being optimistic. (Here's hoping but it's all speculative)

I've also started a savings account and my wish list includes the following;

1) Autopilot ( even though this could be added at a later date you will be paying a higher premium afterwards. Secondly, strong speculation indicates that this car will have Hub and the most advanced automous features we've seen to date"

2) Winter package is a requirement in our crazy winters

3) Thinking about the AWD model but have yet to decide. Even though I have had no issues with the Leaf in the Snow.

4) Glassroof, premium interior with upgraded sound system (possible)

I'm budgeting $60,000 for the car before the rebate so approximately 46,000 after the Ontario rebate.

I know it's too early to speculate on all this but hell,what else can we d. The second reveal is still a year away :(

I'm expecting it to be like (Or Should I say hope...) CAD 58K + taxe rebate included (of course that's including the full autopilot arsenal, and hopefully the largest battery available...and Dual motor is a must since I go to Quebec often...) but considering You will most likely get the rebate 6 months after the purchase of the car from the government, I think you'll have to pay the overall price of the car and when you receive the rebate (Check from government) you can decide to drop all of it in the car or do something else...

I have a friend who bought the volt last week, and GM file the rebate for him, and remove that off the price of the car...I find that good in the sense you end up paying less per month but bad because what if wanted to do something else with 12K cash?

im expecting something like 70k after taxes so 62000$ after the QC rebate.

I would expect to be able to fit AP, AWD, larger battery cold weather package and premium interior.

I started a savings account, my plan is to pay for everything beyond the base model directly from money saved in the next two years, if I can't save the money for it before then I will live without it!

This should insure that I will be a very good good boy over the new two years lol, lots of overtime and not too many crazy expenses.

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
im expecting something like 70k after taxes so 62000$ after the QC rebate.

I would expect to be able to fit AP, AWD, larger battery cold weather package and premium interior.

I started a savings account, my plan is to pay for everything beyond the base model directly from money saved in the next two years, if I can't save the money for it before then I will live without it!

This should insure that I will be a very good good boy over the new two years lol, lots of overtime and not too many crazy expenses.

Courage man...you can do it lol, I wish I could do that too but for now I am gearing up for housing marking in GTA (outbid war...) trust me you guys in Montreal have it easy...
But yah I'm pulling long hours too (Still at work as we speak getting distracted by Tesla lol) with one goal in mind, seeing my new M3 in my own garage 2 years from now...

It doesn't qualify because the batteries are made in Japan and comprise too much of the value of the vehicle for NAFTA to apply. The Nevada battery giga factory will change that for the Model 3 and the 6.1% duty won't apply.

I hope your right. I would like to see a MAX of only the the CDN exchange rate.'

Quote:
Mollydek said:

Here's an example:

Very true
I believe the reason for the higher TESLA markup in our market vs other manufactures is known fact of 'big oil' and government subsidies to the ICE builders.

Courage man...you can do it lol, I wish I could do that too but for now I am gearing up for housing marking in GTA (outbid war...) trust me you guys in Montreal have it easy...
But yah I'm pulling long hours too (Still at work as we speak getting distracted by Tesla lol) with one goal in mind, seeing my new M3 in my own garage 2 years from now...

I am actually probably going to end up buying a new place before I take delivery of the Tesla, I can probably afford both now but the voice of reason says that if I am going to blow 60k on a car I will have to make damn sure I do everything I reasonably can to save up before then.

Reactions: Blackout
Look, if we get the rebate great, but I wouldn't count on it. By the time people in Ontario get the cars we'll most likely have a new more cost conscious government. Besides incentives aren't very effective at selling ev's. People like us, who are interested in a good EV will most likely buy the car regardless (possibly with less options). We'd like to get the incentives, and many of us reserved early with that hope in mind (I know I did). But, if the incentives disappear and some of us decide it doesn't make sense any more, I can't envision them buying a Subarban. As far as the non believers, it is much more effective to tax their gas guzzlers than to bribe them to buy an electric. As we've already seen all the incentives in the world won't get people to buy a subpar electric car if they aren't already 100% sold. You can buy a BMW i3 loaded up for @$42k OTR right now, but I don't see many people driving them. And I really kinda like the car despite the econo-box exterior. It drives beautifully, very nice interior. But, I can't justify buying it. It's range is just a tad too low (real world 100km) so I'd need the Range Extrender to feel comfortable. Small price to pay, but then the problem is that I am stuck with always carrying an extra 600lbs of a gas motor, and the associated maintenance costs. And that my friends defeats the purpose of buying an EV.

Hey that's great, Could you describe a bit your charging system? Like specs on the solar panel, Charger (Tesla I assume...). Interested in sharing how much power you are sending back to the grid, and the cash return on that? $/KW ? if it's not too much too ask
Just to get a rough idea, by the time I get a car, if the GTA house market doesn't double if not triple by then lol, I might get a house...so I'm thinking maybe I can incorporate a similar system as well...

btw: Don85D would make a nice custom plate on a P85D ;)

We chose the 85D and I'm happy with the green plate that came with the car.

Every solar installation will be different so you need to do your own business case. A small company called SAW technology may be helpful to source the components. We used Canadian Solar panels 250W, EnPhase Micro-inverters and cabling system plus Kinetic Solar rails and clamps. It all fit together like a well designed kit which is why we did the work ourselves.

The financials of the business case are working out for us (we are not greedy) to run the car which was the objective. We scaled back on the max possible efficiency because we have a vertical wall mount (south facing). It looks like wall art. We also get some shade traversing the array in winter and our summer time angle is not efficient. However it works and we are producing mega Watt hours of power into the grid. One full year of operation in September will confirm the free km driving that we can expect but for now 25,000 km free is correct. We are taking advantage of lower rates at night so there is a 2:1 cost advantage generating power during the day and using it at night.

Even if we only subsidized part of our Tesla usage we are OK with that. It's being able to run on sunshine that is important.

Our array is only 18 panels mounted vertically on a south wall so small in comparison to roof top arrays. The low sun angle in winter works well with a vertical wall array and snow on the ground boosts our production while it blocks production for roof mounts. EnPhase provide a monitor for their micro inverters so I can track production by the minute and get reports and charts over any period. It's a slick system.

Grid connection with micro-inverters is very simple to install. There is no high DC voltage as each panel looks like a small 240VAC device at 1 amp which can be connected in parallel and fed into a normal electrical panel box. With micro-inverters only a shaded panel will stop production leaving the others at full capacity. It's more efficient that a series string of 20 panels running on 600VDC. Micro-Inverters will also shut down if the main grid power is lost. It's a safety feature.

In summary, we designed and built a small array for running the Tesla. You may find that as costs drop it is better to install a huge array and offset electrical costs for the house. We didn't do that.

For connection to the car we have a Tesla HPWC mounted outside on the garage and a 240VAC stove outlet inside the garage. Mostly our Tesla sits outdoors but when parked inside we can use the same circuit. There was no need for a full 100 amp line as 50 amps is more than sufficient to recharge the car overnight in a hour or two. We have dual chargers configured in our car but I only used that feature once while travelling. You can keep the costs down when charging at home which is where 90% of your power will come from. HPWC is a good deal and a well made device.

• Helpful
Reactions: Blackout