Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A case against "Gallons of Light"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, much of the reason that it is so difficult to convince people that range is not that big of an issue is that they are arguing about it because they don't want an EV and are holding on to that as an excuse for not buying one. Convincing them is much easier after you've given them a ride and they can see that it's a really nice car - then they will listen, rather than argue. Unfortunately, this approach doesn't work with broadcast media. But you can approach it by showing people having fun driving the cars rather than talking intellectually about their benefits, or how to live with their downsides.

No question. A lot of people need to have a reason that it wont work for them. If they drive the car, they'll want it. This will help them listen more carefully, and objectively to the reasoning behind range. Clearly, getting the point across in a print ad, or even more so a 30 second commercial is very difficult but not impossible. In the meantime, I'm giving anyone a ride that wants one.

I Kinda liked the Gallons of Light ad, but will tell you that environmental concerns were way down my list when making the choice to buy this car. As far as I'm concerned, the range issue is pretty much dealt with and for me, it was the very low cost of "fuel" that cinched it for me.

I Kinda liked the Gallons of Light ad, but will tell you that environmental concerns were way down my list when making the choice to buy this car. As far as I'm concerned, the range issue is pretty much dealt with and for me, it was the very low cost of "fuel" that cinched it for me.

Right on. At the end of the day, I believe economics will be the number one reason people buy an EV. Once you get beyond the environmentalists, early adopters, and tech heads, the average person will be motivated primarily by cheap fuel and low cost maintenance. If it doesn't pollute, all the better, but that alone will not sell cars to the masses. It's easy for people to have an opinion about global warming, but most people don't spend their money where their mouth is. Tesla was wise to frame the Model S as a great automobile, instead of a great EV.

Last edited:
Just want to point out that "Gallons of Light" is made by a Tesla Enthusiast for free, Tesla didn't Pay him and also had no influence in the spot.
So there is no point arguing about Teslas advertising strategy based on this spot.

I'd love to see something like Gallons of Light made in a split screen format. One half for "liberals", the other for "conservatives". Don't label which is which - they'll take care of that themselves. As the commercial unfolds, starts with one half of the screen, the other half black. Switches to the other side... then back... and back... however many times you want, portraying the image you want in each. If nothing else, it would make people think of this singular product (or product line) appealing to both 'sides'.

I think it's a no-win situation if it ends up on the liberal/conservative spectrum. Most products (think Apple) try to appeal to a wide group of people across all demographics (political, geographic, gender, age, race etc.). Tesla is wisely doing the same thing, and is better off not being viewed as better for one type of individual over another.

Now that I think about it, we should probably thank Obama for not mentioning Tesla because that would automatically make roughly half the country immediately be turned off from Tesla. ;)

I agree that the beautiful 'Gallons of Light' ad engages emotions, feeling, and delivers a very powerful message -- but, it should be placed only in media that would respond to that message.

Jordan Bloch here, I directed the Gallons of Light film.

It's really gratifying to see that the spot has engaged this kind of discussion because it's exactly the conversation we need to be having. There are a lot of debates going on about storytelling when it comes to sustainability, and as has been mentioned, a big element is knowing your target demographic. There's really no right or wrong, everyone has made very important, valid points.

Here is an interesting article on the topic:
Communicating Sustainability - It's Time to Get Emotional

My goal with "Gallons of Light" was to tell a story of a road trip where a family could experience the beauty of nature without harming it. Ultimately, it's about the parents' legacy...what are they leaving for their kids? The superchargers were the inspiration, in that this technology made long range travel possible and used solar power. In editing, I actually played around with toning down the environmental elements, but then the spot felt false...I had to stay true to the original story and goal.

That is, the story was really based around the real-life Knapp family (Dadaleus) , and there are many other Tesla stories to tell that would not hit an environmental angle at all. I would love to tell a story focused on the insane performance of the car, for instance. But we've seen that approach in many other car commercials, what best sets the Tesla apart? A lot to consider with any angle.

The summary article that Deonb listed (thanks for posting!) -To fight climate change, don't mention it - concludes with "That said, the center's most recent survey released April 2 found that 52 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning Independents think climate change is happening and 62 percent said America should address it."

This is a very important point. Right now, as I type, many people who were vehemently anti-environment are slowly coming to terms with the reality of what is happening to our planet...and the fact that it crosses political boundaries. I should know, I grew up in small-town Alabama. My point here is that as time passes - and the urgency for shifting to sustainable practices heightens as the effects become more visible in our everyday world - I predict that environmental benefits will become appealing to the masses.

This is about a shift in consciousness, and it surely doesn't happen overnight.

Jordan

Last edited:
Also, note that in conservatives generally don't have an issue with an argument against smog and other pollutants caused by ICEs. It's just the carbon/global warming thing that can rub some of us wrong. If you want to make an argument for an EV based on air quality, you're still treading on safe ground.

Personally, I think the science does support the global warming theory, and even more so I buy Elon's argument that it isn't worth risking one way or the other. Still, I've never mentioned it in discussing EVs or Tesla with a conservative. I don't need to dig that deep in the barral to find something that gets their attention.

Bottom line: Sell the product by telling how it aligns with their values, don't tell them to change their values. That will only be met with resistance.

Jordan Bloch here, I directed the Gallons of Light film.
That is, the story was really based around the real-life Knapp family (Dadaleus) , and there are many other Tesla stories to tell that would not hit an environmental angle at all. I would love to tell a story focused on the insane performance of the car, for instance. But we've seen that approach in many other car commercials, what best sets the Tesla apart?

I suggest doing the "no worries" ad if you'd like to produce another film. It's not one which other car companies *can* do. (Well, except the other ones with pure electric cars, but there aren't many.)

Wake up each morning and the car is fully charged. Stop on a dime -- I've stopped to avoid birds rushing across the road in front of me, with uniform success. Ease into the tightest parking space because the car can do 1 mph -- no other car can go that slow. Listening to the radio... without that annoying engine noise. Store a full emergency kit... and still have more room in the back than in most station wagons. No oil changes. No required annual service. No trips to the gas station. Leave the car on while it's in the garage. No worries!

I'm taking mine to the drive-in this weekend. And no, there are no chargers there. And it's on grass (there are reasons I got the air suspension). (The car will sit for five hours, turned on -- we'll see how many miles of charge that uses up!)