TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A cautionary autopilot video

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by rmacey, Feb 9, 2019.

?

Do you use autopilot on secondary roads (not highways)?

Poll closed Mar 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

64.4%
  2. No

35.6%
  1. rmacey

rmacey Member

Posting this short video (5 sec) captured by the dash cam as a cautionary note for those who use the Tesla autopilot on secondary roads. The video shows my almost hitting a pedestrian dressed in dark at night standing still in the middle of my lane. The autopilot did not detect the person, but fortunately I did.

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. Jtt777

Jtt777 Member

wow, gotta say too that person ispretty stupid for standing like that.

• Like x 28
    • Love x 1
  3. Dre78

Dre78 Supporting Member

How did she not get hit by the other cars!? The ones that didn't even slow, let alone stop!?

• Love x 1
  4. bisoned

bisoned Member

should not be using on a secondary road, nor in the rain. just inviting trouble

• Disagree x 6
    • Like x 4
  5. seantay00

seantay00 Member

Why didn’t the radar see him? Dark clothes shouldn’t matter... it clearly wasn’t flat road space ahead of car.

• Funny x 1
  6. fbitz777

fbitz777 Member

Why is the title phrased in term of AutoPilot? Detection (AEB, warnings,...) is engaged even when not in Autopilot?

Strange but my Bolt would have detected that and shown a pedestrian icon on the screen...I see that all the time on country roads even when pedestrian walk on the side of the road

My Tesla does not seem to detect as I have never seen a warning.

7. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Radar sees metal. Unless the pedestrian is a cyborg, the radar gets no reflection/return.

The camera has some rudimentary programming right now to see pedestrians, but only if visible. This is a dark night, raining, and the pedestrian was wearing very dark clothing. By all accounts, even humans who were paying attention may not have seen him. This pedestrian actually was damn lucky.

• Like x 8
  8. Need

Need Active Member

I have to say that I didn't see her the first time I played the video until the last moment. On the 2nd try, yeah I saw her from a few seconds away.. but only because I knew she was there. But I thought AP use ultrasound as well as camera for front. I thought it would have seen her.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  9. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

ultrasonic is too slow and short range to see something like this - IMHO.

• Like x 1
  10. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

It works really well in the rain, but I only use AP on the highway.

• Like x 1
  11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Member

Your video freaked me out as the person seems to just appear in front of you! Your lucky someone didn’t rear-end you as that spot seems pretty random for someone to be in the road. Glad you and the pedestrian didn’t get hurt.

• Like x 1
  12. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Not as much trouble as that bone-headed pedestrian was inviting!

• Like x 2
  13. argon2018

argon2018 Member

I use autopilot every single time I drive literally every second. While it is excellent at detecting cars ahead I have always worried about detecting pedestrians and I find autopilot very unreliable in detecting pedestrians and even those on bike. I think it’s not big enough for the radar to detect them or something

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. JG T3SLA

JG T3SLA Member

I find using autopilot allows you to look further down the road and be more defensive in these situations since you are not focusing on minding your speed or position in your lane as much.

I don’t expect autopilot to detect and avoid debris in the roadway or to the extreme like this a person. Use the system as intended... as a driver aide and not as a driver replacement.

• Like x 6
  15. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

A cautionary tale: Don’t stand in the middle of a busy road, at night, in dark clothing, during bad weather umm....or at all. You might get hit. That’s what I got out of that.

• Like x 17
    • Funny x 3
  16. dnstommy

dnstommy Member

Bingo.

Until we get to Level 5, Tesla will not stop or avoid pedestrians in the road.

17. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

I'm amazed that people are buying this car expecting full self driving capability. This is dangerous and Tesla needs to do a better job of educating buyers since we know that most will never read the manual. There was another post where someone was surprised the car didn't stop for a red light.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

I almost hit an idiot like that the other day without using Autopilot. I swerved and just missed him on a rainy, dark night. Absolute stupidity.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

That's a cautionary tale for pedestrians, not Autopilot users. Visibility is severely restricted when there's a combination of dark, rain and traffic. There's a lot of glare. You had better dress in bright clothing.

• Like x 3
  20. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I don't see this as being anything other than a cautionary tale that the ADAS of the Tesla vehicle doesn't work well enough to detect a pedestrian standing in the middle of the lane in front of it.

It's what I'd call a reset moment. Where I get excited by this kind of technology, but then there are moments where it simply doesn't work.

To me it doesn't have anything to do with autopilot as that wasn't where the failure was, and it doesn't have anything to do with the pedestrian. Sure it was moronically stupid, but it happens all the time.

At the very least you should have received a FCW with braking (since you were in AP). We can't tell if AEB would have activated since you took over as you were supposed to.

The very fact that you succeeded and it failed is proof that as of now the Neural Network of the vehicle (what's responsible for this detection) simply isn't good enough.

If I was in your shoes I'd alert Tesla via email to the occurrence, and a link to the video.

• Like x 4