Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A cautionary autopilot video

Do you use autopilot on secondary roads (not highways)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is the title phrased in term of AutoPilot? Detection (AEB, warnings,...) is engaged even when not in Autopilot?

Strange but my Bolt would have detected that and shown a pedestrian icon on the screen...I see that all the time on country roads even when pedestrian walk on the side of the road

My Tesla does not seem to detect as I have never seen a warning.

Why didn’t the radar see him? Dark clothes shouldn’t matter... it clearly wasn’t flat road space ahead of car.

Radar sees metal. Unless the pedestrian is a cyborg, the radar gets no reflection/return.

The camera has some rudimentary programming right now to see pedestrians, but only if visible. This is a dark night, raining, and the pedestrian was wearing very dark clothing. By all accounts, even humans who were paying attention may not have seen him. This pedestrian actually was damn lucky.

I have to say that I didn't see her the first time I played the video until the last moment. On the 2nd try, yeah I saw her from a few seconds away.. but only because I knew she was there. But I thought AP use ultrasound as well as camera for front. I thought it would have seen her.
ultrasonic is too slow and short range to see something like this - IMHO.

Reactions: kbecks13
Posting this short video (5 sec) captured by the dash cam as a cautionary note for those who use the Tesla autopilot on secondary roads. The video shows my almost hitting a pedestrian dressed in dark at night standing still in the middle of my lane. The autopilot did not detect the person, but fortunately I did.

I use autopilot every single time I drive literally every second. While it is excellent at detecting cars ahead I have always worried about detecting pedestrians and I find autopilot very unreliable in detecting pedestrians and even those on bike. I think it’s not big enough for the radar to detect them or something

I find using autopilot allows you to look further down the road and be more defensive in these situations since you are not focusing on minding your speed or position in your lane as much.

I don’t expect autopilot to detect and avoid debris in the roadway or to the extreme like this a person. Use the system as intended... as a driver aide and not as a driver replacement.

I don't see this as being anything other than a cautionary tale that the ADAS of the Tesla vehicle doesn't work well enough to detect a pedestrian standing in the middle of the lane in front of it.

It's what I'd call a reset moment. Where I get excited by this kind of technology, but then there are moments where it simply doesn't work.

To me it doesn't have anything to do with autopilot as that wasn't where the failure was, and it doesn't have anything to do with the pedestrian. Sure it was moronically stupid, but it happens all the time.

At the very least you should have received a FCW with braking (since you were in AP). We can't tell if AEB would have activated since you took over as you were supposed to.

The very fact that you succeeded and it failed is proof that as of now the Neural Network of the vehicle (what's responsible for this detection) simply isn't good enough.

If I was in your shoes I'd alert Tesla via email to the occurrence, and a link to the video.