Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A cautionary tale!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven about 30,000 mile on Autopilot this last year and have become quite confident of its capabilities. But this evening it really surprised me. I was driving down a two lane road in my model X on a route which I have done at least 30 times on Autopilot. Without warning it suddenly gave a collision warning and swerved off the road with such a strong maneuver that if it had been an ICE SUV it may well have turned it over. Luck there was a grass verge beside and I quickly grabbed the wheel and brought it back onto the road. There were no cars anywhere near and nothing had changed to road from the previous journeys. The only thing near the car was a traffic island in middle of road which Autopilot reacted to as if was a car heading straight for us.

No damage was done to the car, but I was a little shaken! So the cautionary tale is don’t get too over confident in Autopilot and continually be attentive, as it just might throw a wobbly at the most unexpected moment as mine did tonight. BTW I filed a bug report to Tesla as soon as I regain my composure.

Wow, scary. Your post bring to mind a question someone brought up about the "logic", AP applies to reach "safety." What if the alternative ditch was a 10' ditch of water, or a cliff? Would AP know a tall grassy field was safe?

I think there are places AP should probably not be allowed, IMO.