Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A change of heart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that the issue is multi-faceted. You have the people who compare the interior with other cars in that price range and want the same features on the S. It doesn't matter if they use that feature or not. They want comparable features and that is their expectation. There is the group that may not have the faith and aren't true early adopters. For them the technology takes a back seat to traditional comforts. Then there are those that don't trust the company to do the right thing. They fear that deleting a feature is a symptom of larger issues that have not been disclosed. They don't trust that the decision made by TM engineers or designers to delete a feature is for solid, logical reasons. Then there are those that want control over design decisions and aren't patient enough to wait for the final Tesla version of the opportunity console or the rear cup holders.

But when you cut right through it all, we don't have any news to talk about so we tend to get anxious and nervous because we are so close to when we should hear about deliveries.

Tesla should stay focused on the 1.0 features - and get the current model out and in the hands of customers, as soon as they are confident they can manufacture them at high quality.

For those current and future reservation holders that want to see more features in comparably priced luxury vehicles, Tesla should announce their intention to release a model 1.5 in early 2013, and the features that will likely be in 1.5, items like folding mirrors, more interior storage, adaptive cruise control, ...

I suspect there are enough people in the current queue that are satisfied with the 1.0 feature set that they could buy all of the 1.0 vehicles, even if some of low reservation holders defer until 1.5 is available, as long as 1.5 was produced within 3-6 months.

Because Tesla has enough current reservations to buy their production for the next 9+ months, doing this shouldn't risk losing any customers, and could actually increase the rate of new reservations being placed - because customers getting reservations today would be for model 1.5 - and not 1.0 (though they might still pick up some people who would also like to buy 1.0, if a spot opened up later this year)...

For those current and future reservation holders that want to see more features in comparably priced luxury vehicles, Tesla should announce their intention to release a model 1.5 in early 2013, and the features that will likely be in 1.5, items like folding mirrors, more interior storage, adaptive cruise control,

Beware the Osborne effect! Elon and Tesla are too smart IMO to make that legendary mistake again.

Likewise. I'm still "in". No change of heart for me. And no deferrals..

Unless you've received your configure email, you don't understand what's going on in the minds of potential buyers.

For instance, the pano roof in Beta VIN 48 looks great, with only a low profile metal-gloss black bar. In the Get Amped test drive cars, there's this new big covered bar across the pano roof that spoils the effect for the rear seat passengers. However, it doesn't have the sun shade. No-one can tell me what the final car I would order today will have, or whether I can even remove the new cover. This is one example of several.