TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A Charge Port Issue (video)

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by BaileyMc, Jun 8, 2018.

1. BaileyMc

BaileyMc Member

Had a problem with the charge port and a small peice that fell off. Then the car wouldn’t charge.

Model 3 Charge Port Door Problem

2. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Member

Someone had a similar problem when they had moisture in the charge port. I think there is a recall or TSB on the seals? If the car is unlocked can't you just press on the charging door to open it?

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

There is a newer version of the charge port door part. I had washed my Model 3 shortly after I got it and then I started getting messages that the charge port door needed service and it would also randomly open and close when parked. Tesla replaced it with the newer version of the charge port door which has more robust seals and I’ve been ok ever since. However I never experienced problems charging like you did.

4. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Are you sure that diamond shaped thing isn't a magnet? If it is, it could be how the car confirms the charge port door opened.

5. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

I was thinking the same thing, but then if the piece was missing altogether, wouldn't the car think the charge port was open all the time? And why would that then prevent charging when the door is open?

So weird.

More disconcerting... WTH is with Tesla (ineffectively) gluing/taking parts together on this car? I'm still kinda dumbfounded by the vanity mirror falling off of the Edmund's car.
    I know adhesives can be used effectively in automotive applications, but when you F it up and parts start falling off, it looks real bad from a quality standpoint.

6. BaileyMc

BaileyMc Member

Problem SOLVED!

• Like x 1
  7. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

So when you put the mystery piece back in place, could you then open the charge port door by tapping on it?