Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A close encounter of the first kind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
I saw my first model 3 in the flesh today, and my heart is still palpitating!

We drove from LA area to Fresno to spend a holiday weekend with relatives. We drove back on 99/5 this afternoon and just returned home. As we were in the vicinity of the Tejon SC, my wife said she needs a comfort stop. YES, YES, YES, my opportunity to ogle Teslas! The southbound offramp passes right by the SC location with 3 Teslas charging, one of which was "different". I "accidentally" missed the requested turn to In-n-Out and said let's go on up to Firehouse Subs (which is right next to the SC). And there it was! The first model 3 I've seen in the flesh. Oh My Dog, what a beautiful car! Lordy, lordy, that car looks sporty! Silver in color with aero wheels. Gorgeous! The wife said, 'i'll see you in a bit' and I said 'take your time, as long as you want!' And then I was all over that car like catnip. VIN 03XX. By the registration on the plates, I could tell the car was about 3 or 4 months old. Fit and finish were perfect. Standing at the front of the car, at adult eye level, the front is shockingly low which makes the front of the car look very wide and racy with fender bulges for the front wheels like a Le Mans car. The back of the car is nicely proportioned and doesn't look at all like an MX. The side profile looks very much like an MS. The exterior is very clean and simple, devoid of all unnecessary adornments which in my opinion is refreshing, clean, smooth, like a shark. I must have circled the car a dozen times to try to take in all the details, but there was just too much to absorb.

Then a thirty-something young man walks up with his female companion. You the owner? Yep! Employee? Yep, I work at xxxxxxxx. He said they had driven from LA to Yosemite for a few days and were returning home. My mind was racing. What questions could I ask that would benefit the Forum without acting like a complete idiot. So I foolishly blurted out, "How many watts per mile are you getting?" He laughed and said, "I am the last person you want to ask that question because I drive 90 mph on the highway :eek: and I am burning right around 300 watts per mile, but if I drive about 75, I burn about 260 watts per mile." I said I drive 65 and I am hoping to get it down to around 225 watts per mile. He laughed and said, "Oh you're a hyper-miler, you should have no trouble achieving that with the aero wheels." I asked him if he had tested without the aero covers and said "no" he likes the look of the aero covers and has never taken them off.........and they looked great on his silver car. He said his friends are reporting a 5% hit to range without the aero covers. If his experience is typical, these are fantastic numbers! He said he is 100% happy with his car and there have been no problems and no visits to Service (he does not work at a service center). He said it is like no other car that most people have ever driven - fun, fast, responsive, and yet relaxing with EAP.

But he wanted to tell me about what was exciting to him. He said he was getting right at 430 miles per hour charge at the Tejon charger. He said he had arrived 15 minutes earlier, had gone over to Firehouse Subs to get some drinks and his car had charged 160 miles in 15 minutes!!!!! He said he NEVER expected those kind of results. He said they expected to be there at least 30 minutes but he had enough charge in 15 minutes to get him home and would charge again overnight at home. I could tell they were anxious to get going but he left me with a parting shot........."Expect to see a lot more of these on the road starting this week" and gave me a big wink! I gazed after then in envy as they sped off, back on their journey. 160 miles in 15 minutes :eek::eek::eek:

I then turned my attention to a midnight silver MX and a red and blue MS's. Being the shy enthusiast that I am, I struck up a conversation with the female owner of the red MS. She said her car was only a couple of months old and they were on a trip with their friends in the blue MS. She said they had the latest version of EAP and said it is nothing short of amazing. She said they had just come from LA over the Grapevine to Tejon. She said they had been on AP the whole time in moderately heavy traffic and never touched the brake pedal or go pedal once. She said the car tracked straight in the center of their lane and never wondered except when they activated the turn signal to change lanes and then the car responded on its own when safe. She was wearing a Tesla grin from ear to ear.

About this time, my wife comes wandering back and it is time for us to go. She asked where the model 3 had gone and I said they had to leave. She said she really liked the looks of it but the front end was going to take some getting used to. I point out the midnight silver, blue, and red colors. We have already decided on a Pearl White car. She said, "the grey car looks elegant but not for me, the blue color is very nice but not what I'm looking for, BUT the red car is the most beautiful red I have ever seen!" We get back on the freeway and she goes silent, in deep thought, other than to say, "I really like that red color." three times in 5 minutes. Then she blurts out, "I think I want a red car now!" o_O She said, "that red car will look great with a white interior!" :eek:................and I can't disagree with her.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/model-3-driving-dynamics.281/
I have been purposely vague about the VIN and employment of the model 3 I saw. I told him upfront that whatever he shared with me would be blabbed by me all over the Internet, so he should be careful. He assured me there was no problem and he was not under NDA. But still, I don't want to put his employment in jeopardy in any way. No pictures because my wife took our one and only smartphone to the comfort station with her. :mad:

{mod note: edited to update Wh/mi figures per later post from OP}

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, great story. The 'lots more starting this week' could explain the full lot of Model 3s spotted next to the factory.

The person you talked to sounded a bit knowledgeable regarding battery tech so it is good to hear they've solved that problem and the production ramp is finally starting.

Re: white interior - not offered yet, but maybe in spring/summer? If you are a first day reservation holder but not a previous owner then you might get the invite just as the white interior is hopefully being offered.

Glad to hear the silver & grey look nice, that's the color (midnight silver) my wife chose.

I am burning right around 400 watts per mile, but if I drive about 75, I burn about 360 watts per mile."

In my fatigue last night I see I made a major typo. He said he was burning about 300 watts per mile at 90 mph and 260 watts per mile at 75. I am hoping to burn about 225 watts per mile at 65 mph ( flat road, no wind, 70F, clear weather)

{Mod note: updated original post to reflect these numbers -- original version had numbers 100Wh/mi larger}

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this.
I've seen 6 Model 3's on the road, but almost all were on the freeway, so I never spoke to any of the drivers.

I'd love to be able to supercharge that fast!

Just for the record, I'm the one who did the supercharger time tests...
Supercharger Time Test

I spot them without looking for them. The back catches my eye as it looks so much like the S but yet not.

The person you talked to sounded a bit knowledgeable regarding battery tech so it is good to hear they've solved that problem and the production ramp is finally starting.
I did not ask what the owner's position was. he just told me the office he worked in. But from his appearance, I presumed he was an engineer or management type. He definitely appeared to know what he was talking about (not so much me ;))

I reserved on-line, pre-reveal on 3/31. I am a non-owner, but I have Solar City on my roof for two years now, I hope that will give me some priority. BUT, wife says we are waiting for a different interior color than black, so that will set us back.

Last edited:
In my fatigue last night I see I made a major typo. He said he was burning about 300 watts per mile at 90 mph and 260 watts per mile at 75. I am hoping to burn about 225 watts per mile at 65 mph ( flat road, no wind, 70F, clear weather)
Ah, that's better. You scared me for one moment.

The 300 Wh/mi at 90 is in line with other posts. There was an owner who reported ~260 at 80 mph on hwy and 240 while commuting (combination of city/hwy). The trip from Palo Alto - Kettleman SC trip was 280 at 65-70 (or more) mph.

Your 225 at 65 seems optimistic to me. That would give you a range of 346 miles which is more than even the most optimistic range including 'real' EPA (334 miles).

For me 240 miles at 65 mph would be awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca
Your 225 at 65 seems optimistic to me. That would give you a range of 346 miles which is more than even the most optimistic range including 'real' EPA (334 miles).
I failed to mention that I will be getting SR battery so there will be somewhat lower weight compared to LR and thus the reason for my optimism. I am shooting for around 240 miles all empty range (~180 miles 15%/80% charging) with the SR model under ideal conditions (which I call 'mill pond' conditions). I come from a long distance (~4000 miles) yacht cruising experience and we always received real time updates so that we would arrive at our next fuel stop with 15% reserve. We would either slow down or speed up to achieve that goal while underway. Old habits are hard to break!

I failed to mention that I will be getting SR battery so there will be somewhat lower weight compared to LR and thus the reason for my optimism. I am shooting for around 240 miles all empty range (~180 miles 15%/80% charging) with the SR model under ideal conditions (which I call 'mill pond' conditions). I come from a long distance (~4000 miles) yacht cruising experience and we always received real time updates so that we would arrive at our next fuel stop with 15% reserve. We would either slow down or speed up to achieve that goal while underway. Old habits are hard to break!
Aha, that changes things. 240 miles would be awesome on the SR.

I'm still undecided whether to get a LR or SR. If the 240 range would be true, this would certainly guide me towards the SR. Of course I have to see how the range keeps up in our wintertime.

I saw my first model 3 in the flesh today, and my heart is still palpitating!

We drove from LA area to Fresno to spend a holiday weekend with relatives. We drove back on 99/5 this afternoon and just returned home. As we were in the vicinity of the Tejon SC, my wife said she needs a comfort stop. YES, YES, YES, my opportunity to ogle Teslas! The southbound offramp passes right by the SC location with 3 Teslas charging, one of which was "different". I "accidentally" missed the requested turn to In-n-Out and said let's go on up to Firehouse Subs (which is right next to the SC). And there it was! The first model 3 I've seen in the flesh. Oh My Dog, what a beautiful car! Lordy, lordy, that car looks sporty! Silver in color with aero wheels. Gorgeous! The wife said, 'i'll see you in a bit' and I said 'take your time, as long as you want!' And then I was all over that car like catnip. VIN 03XX. By the registration on the plates, I could tell the car was about 3 or 4 months old. Fit and finish were perfect. Standing at the front of the car, at adult eye level, the front is shockingly low which makes the front of the car look very wide and racy with fender bulges for the front wheels like a Le Mans car. The back of the car is nicely proportioned and doesn't look at all like an MX. The side profile looks very much like an MS. The exterior is very clean and simple, devoid of all unnecessary adornments which in my opinion is refreshing, clean, smooth, like a shark. I must have circled the car a dozen times to try to take in all the details, but there was just too much to absorb.

Then a thirty-something young man walks up with his female companion. You the owner? Yep! Employee? Yep, I work at xxxxxxxx. He said they had driven from LA to Yosemite for a few days and were returning home. My mind was racing. What questions could I ask that would benefit the Forum without acting like a complete idiot. So I foolishly blurted out, "How many watts per mile are you getting?" He laughed and said, "I am the last person you want to ask that question because I drive 90 mph on the highway :eek: and I am burning right around 400 watts per mile, but if I drive about 75, I burn about 360 watts per mile." I said I drive 65 and I am hoping to get it down to around 325 watts per mile. He laughed and said, "Oh you're a hyper-miler, you should have no trouble achieving that with the aero wheels." I asked him if he had tested without the aero covers and said "no" he likes the look of the aero covers and has never taken them off.........and they looked great on his silver car. He said his friends are reporting a 5% hit to range without the aero covers. If his experience is typical, these are fantastic numbers! He said he is 100% happy with his car and there have been no problems and no visits to Service (he does not work at a service center). He said it is like no other car that most people have ever driven - fun, fast, responsive, and yet relaxing with EAP.

But he wanted to tell me about what was exciting to him. He said he was getting right at 430 miles per hour charge at the Tejon charger. He said he had arrived 15 minutes earlier, had gone over to Firehouse Subs to get some drinks and his car had charged 160 miles in 15 minutes!!!!! He said he NEVER expected those kind of results. He said they expected to be there at least 30 minutes but he had enough charge in 15 minutes to get him home and would charge again overnight at home. I could tell they were anxious to get going but he left me with a parting shot........."Expect to see a lot more of these on the road starting this week" and gave me a big wink! I gazed after then in envy as they sped off, back on their journey. 160 miles in 15 minutes :eek::eek::eek:

I then turned my attention to a midnight silver MX and a red and blue MS's. Being the shy enthusiast that I am, I struck up a conversation with the female owner of the red MS. She said her car was only a couple of months old and they were on a trip with their friends in the blue MS. She said they had the latest version of EAP and said it is nothing short of amazing. She said they had just come from LA over the Grapevine to Tejon. She said they had been on AP the whole time in moderately heavy traffic and never touched the brake pedal or go pedal once. She said the car tracked straight in the center of their lane and never wondered except when they activated the turn signal to change lanes and then the car responded on its own when safe. She was wearing a Tesla grin from ear to ear.

About this time, my wife comes wandering back and it is time for us to go. She asked where the model 3 had gone and I said they had to leave. She said she really liked the looks of it but the front end was going to take some getting used to. I point out the midnight silver, blue, and red colors. We have already decided on a Pearl White car. She said, "the grey car looks elegant but not for me, the blue color is very nice but not what I'm looking for, BUT the red car is the most beautiful red I have ever seen!" We get back on the freeway and she goes silent, in deep thought, other than to say, "I really like that red color." three times in 5 minutes. Then she blurts out, "I think I want a red car now!" o_O She said, "that red car will look great with a white interior!" :eek:................and I can't disagree with her.
I have been purposely vague about the VIN and employment of the model 3 I saw. I told him upfront that whatever he shared with me would be blabbed by me all over the Internet, so he should be careful. He assured me there was no problem and he was not under NDA. But still, I don't want to put his employment in jeopardy in any way. No pictures because my wife took our one and only smartphone to the comfort station with her. :mad:

Really appreciate the post. your enthusiasm has me even more excited.

No complaints here re where Tesla is now with SuperCharging, but, I’m wondering if you might of misheard the guy. Did he perhaps mean he’d been able to charge up to 160 miles (from some unknown starting point) rather than add 160 miles in 15 minutes? The latter would imply a charge rate of 640 miles per hour. 430 miles per hour still sounds good, especially with battery already half full, but, I’m unclear as to why he was excited by the rate the car had charged... would be pretty fine news if it really were adding 160 miles in 15 minutes : )

He said he was getting right at 430 miles per hour charge at the Tejon charger. He said he had arrived 15 minutes earlier, had gone over to Firehouse Subs to get some drinks and his car had charged 160 miles in 15 minutes!!!!!
That is a good 2C charge rate, ~ 160 kW

I soooo hope that is the rule rather than the exception. Did he happen to mention kW rate ?

Thanks for the very enjoyable post :)

Last edited:
but, I’m wondering if you might of misheard the guy. Did he perhaps mean he’d been able to charge up to 160 miles (from some unknown starting point) rather than add 160 miles in 15 minutes?
No, he clearly meant 160 miles added in 15 minutes. I don't know what his starting state of charge was or his ending state of charge. But he clearly said he was expecting 160 miles of range to be added in 30 minutes. Our conversation was very short because they were obviously anxious to get on their way. TMC member @zackmilo is expected to bring his brand NEW model 3 to the Cabazon SuC for a meetup in about a week. We will get more confirmation at that time since we will plenty of time to dissect his car (with his permission). We have Hwy 10 out there with 70 mph speed limit on flat land in that general area around Palm Desert and I know he will be doing some testing.

With regards to 640 miles of range in 60 minutes, I think that assumption is incorrect. I believe that initial charge and charge above 80% slow way down, so ~ 400 miles charge per hour is more likely with the new model 3 battery chemistry. To be clear, Tejon has, I believe, 12 charging stations and only four of them were occupied, none of them paired, so the model 3 was getting the best results under the conditions.

No, he clearly meant 160 miles added in 15 minutes. I don't know what his starting state of charge was or his ending state of charge. But he clearly said he was expecting 160 miles of range to be added in 30 minutes. Our conversation was very short because they were obviously anxious to get on their way. TMC member @zackmilo is expected to bring his brand NEW model 3 to the Cabazon SuC for a meetup in about a week. We will get more confirmation at that time since we will plenty of time to dissect his car (with his permission). We have Hwy 10 out there with 70 mph speed limit on flat land in that general area around Palm Desert and I know he will be doing some testing.

With regards to 640 miles of range in 60 minutes, I think that assumption is incorrect. I believe that initial charge and charge above 80% slow way down, so ~ 400 miles charge per hour is more likely with the new model 3 battery chemistry. To be clear, Tejon has, I believe, 12 charging stations and only four of them were occupied, none of them paired, so the model 3 was getting the best results under the conditions.

Thanks for the helpful details in your response. fwiw, by 640 mile/hr rate, I was just referring to what 160 miles added in 15 minutes implies.