TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A close friend got breast cancer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David-El, Jun 18, 2013.

1. David-El

David-El Model S - P3078

#1 David-El, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    First let me say that if this doesn't belong here, either pm me or mods feel free to delete it.

One of my closest friends recently got diagnosed with breast cancer. She had the lumpectomy which went by smoothly and successfully. They did find traces in her lymph nodes and wanted to do chemo and radiation to give her the best chances of not having it return.

She wants to have kids and so she had her eggs removed and frozen so that she'll be able to in the future. That is not covered by insurance, I don't quite understand why, but that's neither here nor there.

For those members in the area, we're throwing her a fundraiser, tomorrow, June 19, from 5-9 pm at The Dirty Bird Lounge in Hayward, CA (29308 Mission Blvd). We'll be selling tacos, pizza, brownies, having drink specials and accepting donations towards her uncovered medical costs. Feel free to stop in if you like, and if you so choose, wear some pink.

Additionally, she has a website where donations can be made. I've included it below.

Phuck Breast Cancer! Fundraiser for Vanessa Hernandez - Fundly

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That is unfortunate, but there is hope. My mother was diagnosed when she was in her early 50's, had a lumpectomy and radiation and was completely cancer free. She was diagnosed again (in the other breast) when she was 82, had a much larger mass removed, declined chemo but did have radiation. She is now 85 and regular checkups have shown no signs of trouble. She still lives on her own (Dad passed away 25 years ago) and drives her (like new) '87 Chrysler LeBaron all over town. Just wanted to pass on what I believe is a "good news" story, because hearing the c-word can be very scarey.

3. cablue

cablue Member

Very sorry to hear about that. It sounds like she must be young - early-onset breast cancer. I hope all goes well for her. What's a shame is she has to worry about medical costs not being covered. I guess that's a whole other topic...