TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A CNBC article John Peterson Wouldn't Put His Name Onhttp://www.cnbc.com/id/101455878

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by SteveG3, Feb 28, 2014.

1. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

#1 SteveG3, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    I think the errors in this CNBC article are both massive and nearly impossible to have been inadvertent.

it is by a contributor in CNBC, and I have confidence that if CNBC itself was aware of the grossly flawed nature of the article they would retract it.

I put this in a separate thread because I think added comments to the article on CNBC's website will improve the likelihood someone at CNBC realizes there is an article on their website that does not belong there.

Does Tesla have more room to run? That's the $30B question

Phil Lebeau does very solid work. I think some tweets to him calling attention to this work would have it corrected (he's listed as editor, but I guarantee he wouldn't have let this go up if he saw it).

@Lebeaucarnews

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

My favorite part of the article is where he says that Tesla and Panasonic were looking to invest $1b to build the GF and then says that Elon dropped a bomb on us that it actually costs $4b-$5b. Or that Tesla barely sells 4,000 cars per quarter.

What an ignorant person wrote this artcle.

3. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

that was indeed quite a whopper. fwiw, I do not think the person contributing the article is ignorant of the facts in regard to the various grand errors in the piece.

4. Familial Rhino

Familial Rhino Endangerous Herbivore

#4 Familial Rhino, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Wow, I missed that rally.

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

It is all soooo humorous. I remember discussing where Tesla was going to get the $5B it was going to take to build this factory almost a year ago when Elon mentioned the need to double the world's Li-ion capacity to support G3. I think it was in the Q1 call and I was amazed that all the "analysts" let it just float on by without a second thought.

6. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

He could probably claim he was referring to US sales.

7. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

I get the feeling that the article was updated as a result of SteveG3's comments. Take a look at how the 4,000 monthly sales number magically changed to around 5,000. Anyone else notice a change?

8. Familial Rhino

Familial Rhino Endangerous Herbivore

Yeah, he changed it. He now says "sales averaging 5000 per quarter", the average for 2013, conveniently ignoring the big uptrend.

At first it said "barely reaching 4000" a quarter.

He's still claiming that the stock surged sevenfold because of the Apple rumour.

9. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

you're right DJ, though even 5,000 quarterly sales is still off 6,900 (though I guess a reasonable estimate of average for 2013). didn't see any changes to the 3 other very major errors.

I did notice something else. the contributor, Paul Eiesenstein has his contact information at the end of the "article." turns out he works for the Detroit Bureau, the self proclaimed, "Voice of the Automotive World." pieces coming together.

Detroit Bureau homepage if anyone is curious, TheDetroitBureau.com | The Voice of the Automotive World

10. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

Officially, the average number of Model S vehicles sold in 2013 was as follows (data pulled from quarterly shareholder letters located here (http://ir.teslamotors.com/events.cfm):
    6892 in Q4 2013
    5500 in Q3 2013
    5150 in Q2 2013
    4900 in Q1 2013

That averages 5,610.5 vehicles per quarter.