Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A College Student Rebuilding a Salvage Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removed the battery:

Before:
IMG_0473.JPG

After:
IMG_0476.JPG

Why? Parting out?

While you were under there did you check suspension?

Yes the suspension is an issue. As a matter of fact after removing the battery the car now being 1,300 lbs lighter was able to be towed to our car workshop.

That said major reason is: Car is getting too expensive to repair for my preferences and threshold. I have a very limited financial ability to work on this. I've maxed out all reasonable financial options.

Furthermore, I just remembered that I eventually want to work in Japan wherein I either don't want a Model S because it is too big (model 3 would probably be more appropriate) or don't want a car at all because public transportation there is perfect.

So it's pretty much entirely financial. I certainly would have done an FEA if I had gotten that far (On that note, you all worried about something I knew I was very very far down the road when we hadn't even been able to get the car to move without skidding while being towed. That's really poor project management), and had I gotten so far as to repair the frame damage it wouldn't have been a problem.

Again real problem is the car was quickly getting more expensive than a CPO and no longer became a financially logical project to maintain.

I'll probably just barely make back what I borrowed, and learned a lot about Tesla's designs... and how much of a PITA it is to remove that battery (Seriously you did that twice!?).

I'll maybe consider continue the project if you send me a free shell with everything stripped except suspension. If it's that important that I continue, but otherwise I'm going to Japan on July 14th thru September 2nd to take a break from the insanity that is the US.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
After having driven around the countryside of Japan for a couple of weeks... I have lost all interest in a model S. Car is too big to be practical in my opinion.

While I have seen 1 model S driving around Tokyo, if I had the money I wouldn't get it.

Model 3? Maybe, depends on how Tesla delivers and if they resolve their reliability issues.

Too big to be practical? Depends on where you live and what you want to do with it. Is it practical in Japan? Hardly. Same goes for SF or NY. Yes it felt bigger when I first drove it but I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all now. This coming from a MINI Cooper and sports coupe. I can tell you it's a lot more practical in carrying things compared to my other cars.

So I'm back in the US.

Selling parts for those who need them.

Also, next bad idea: Let's take the battery and drive unit (and other electrical parts) and throw it into my prius! (The prius would likely also need modification to hold everything).

Alright, bring on the hate posts.

Reactions: Cheburashka
If anyone wants "Whatever happened to that person" update...

-Sold the car in entirety in 2019 (IIRC, this project yielded a net $20k profit or something like that).
-Moved to Japan for my Amusement Industry Career designing controls systems for Amusement Rides.
-Pandemic was not kind to the Amusement Industry, I have since changed industries but am still a controls engineer.
-Also, while in Japan came to the realization / understanding that I can not continue suppressing the fact that I am MtF transgender (probably comes out of nowhere for most of you, but whatever, enjoy that nugget of info).
-Moved back to the US, and have purchased a new Model 3 Performance and am enjoying the car as is... not terribly interested in tinkering, too busy with job.

TL;DR: I have come here to brag about celebrate my new Model 3 Performance purchase.

Last edited:
If anyone wants "Whatever happened to that person" update...
-Sold the car in entirety in 2019 (IIRC, this project yielded a net $20k profit or something like that).
-Moved to Japan for my Amusement Industry Career designing controls systems for Amusement Rides.
-Pandemic was not kind to the Amusement Industry, I have since changed industries but am still a controls engineer.
-Also, while in Japan came to the realization / understanding that I can not continue suppressing the fact that I am MtF transgender (probably comes out of nowhere for most of you, but whatever, enjoy that nugget of info).
-Moved back to the US, and have purchased a new Model 3 Performance and am enjoying the car as is... not terribly interested in tinkering, too busy with job.
TL;DR: I have come here to brag about celebrate my new Model 3 Performance purchase.
Congratulations on your journey... keep on pursuing your passion.

• Love
Reactions: satoshi