Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A College Student Rebuilding a Salvage Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got about two pages into this thread. Very interesting. However, Tesla will never activate this car. If the title has been branded salvage, then Tesla has disabled it and no amount of repairing will wake it and Tesla will not activate it unless it was repaired to their standards.

Tesla doesn't disable salvage branded cars. They might try to disable Supercharging on them, but they don't disable the car itself.

Then again, I really don't feel you have any business to be asking these questions though.

I think as you mature you may find quite a few folks who feel that if you behave a certain way in public, that you've invited the public scrutiny.

If you subsequently do any retracting in private, that tends to appear as a ploy to save face.

PSSSSSSH... Do you know how much tuition costs!? I am merely taking advantage of the resources I already paid for.

Then also, I'm sure if you went to your local university's professor's office hours and asked questions they'd be happy to answer or point you in the direction of resources/books.
I don't blame you for utilizing what's available to you. My point was don't make it sound like you made an extra effort or went out of your way when this benefits you in every way.

What were their thoughts when you told them you bought a salvaged Tesla? WTF? Encouraged? Good luck?

I think as you mature...

My only concern with this statement is that I'm not too confident I will... I want to and actively try to but it seems to be just taking forever.

---

I HAVE NETWORK CONNECTIVITY ON THE CAR BABY! BOOYEAH!

(Now to just figure out how to talk to the damn thing via SSH while on Windows... Linux is more familiar though, I might have to install dual-boot linux/windows)

I don't blame you for utilizing what's available to you. My point was don't make it sound like you made an extra effort or went out of your way when this benefits you in every way.

What were their thoughts when you told them you bought a salvaged Tesla? WTF? Encouraged? Good luck?

Majority of them just have smirk and a brief moment of nostalgia of when they were young and dumb and had their own stupid projects.

Everyone has been incredibly encouraging and supportive... then also a number of students have approached me almost begging to work on the car. Then an academic advisor wanted me to found a new student organization.

One prof gave me tips on proper splicing technique for the cable I made to get connectivity, another gave me resistors for a different test I will conduct later on.

Reactions: jvonbokel
IMG_0323.JPG

If I already had linux installed on my computer, I likely could have proudly claimed I got root on my car before I had the keys from Copart.

Seriously though, WTF took so long copart?

Seeing as my car isn't flood damaged, went ahead and turned on the car to ask it to check for all its faults.

At minimum, we are dealing with 8 faults. Some are generic "Car needs service" messages so I won't know if that involves more issues until I get root/factory mode.

(Honestly though 8 faults is really not that bad considering what this car has been through, I feel luckier and luckier as time goes by).

Last edited:
At minimum, we are dealing with 8 faults. Some are generic "Car needs service" messages so I won't know if that involves more issues until I get root/factory mode.
So there are often a number of hidden faults and DTCs. I'd say you should always at least double the number. The car is actually excellent at diagnosing itself, the sad part is something like "DC-DC converter failure" on the internal "hidden" list will be displayed as "Pull over immediately - Car may shut down", or "Call Tesla Service" (My favorite).

So there are often a number of hidden faults and DTCs. I'd say you should always at least double the number. The car is actually excellent at diagnosing itself, the sad part is something like "DC-DC converter failure" on the internal "hidden" list will be displayed as "Pull over immediately - Car may shut down", or "Call Tesla Service" (My favorite).

Yeah, I figured this would be the case... still <20 faults would make me really happy.

Checked out caliper from school to measure some port dimensions so I can source better connectors for network connection point.

So when you had this "Eureka!" moment some time ago, did you apologize to btr? It wasn't until the haters came out you had this change of heart.

I took the time to stop and think about when exactly the change of heart took place, and it wasn't really a "Eureka!" moment but more being shocked and appalled at Tesla's actions.

When I witnessed Tesla retaliating against WK057 and committed some pretty damaging unethical practices in the process, I realized that Tesla really does not actually have the "strong moral & ethical code" that you all seem convinced that it has. In that moment, I lost a lot of respect for Tesla as a company and the "Safety First!" claims seems more just "We don't want negative press" rather than genuine concern for safety. It also serves as a convenient diversion from a parts & service monopoly that they are trying to establish. "But Elon said he'd be disturbed by such a monopoly." I don't believe him, and the company's actions certainly don't support such a statement.

So really, Tesla is going to have to regain my respect at some point in the future. A great step toward that would be for them to relinquish their parts ban as it would be a stepping stone toward letting the true owners of the car make proper repair and/or maintenance of their own vehicles.

Actually, it is. Many states require receipts for new airbags before a salvage vehicle is allowed to be legally driven on the road. By restricting the sale of the airbags, they prevent salvage cars from being put back on the road without being properly repaired.

As it is, I have already found 6 out of 8 used airbags. We're still under budget for the record on top of this.

Interesting... I wonder how that happened, I would think they'd be on the same detonation circuit.

I'll see what happens with the current guy I'm purchasing from then, because it sounds he's giving me all "roof" airbags undeployed.