Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A compliment for autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pouring rain last week, I honestly had trouble seeing the highway markings (night, worn paint, heavy rain that made the pavement look glassy) but the autosteer held my lane perfectly. Honestly thought "how will this work in these conditions?" That's all... definitely pleasantly surprised (but still didn't trust the car). Have had the car for a bit over a year.

Yup.

There's a portion on 280 where it inverts (blacktop to concrete, lane markers disappear) and AP doesn't have a problem maintaining it's lane.

Also, I'm amazed AP isn't blinded by the sun when I'm driving home after work. It catches the green lights changing when I can't see anything.

Pouring rain last week, I honestly had trouble seeing the highway markings (night, worn paint, heavy rain that made the pavement look glassy) but the autosteer held my lane perfectly. Honestly thought "how will this work in these conditions?" That's all... definitely pleasantly surprised (but still didn't trust the car). Have had the car for a bit over a year.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I don't have problem with AP at all. It does have a couple of quirks though. IE: It seems to ride the apex of a curve, whether it be left hand or right hand turn, and it takes sharp curves a few miles per hour than I would. I'd like to see it read the yellow with black numbered signs that have a recommended speed for curves. Other than those two quirks, I'm very happy with it. It sure does a lot better than my 2019 Rav4

This was my first impression of AP last summer in a very heavy downpour, in traffic moving 40-50 MPH and it handled it perfectly. Could barely see 100 feet in front of me yet the car was just fine. It was probably driving a little faster than if I was but still impressed with how well it performed.

You know how people have been saying "the competition is coming" for years, but Tesla is still dominating in 2021? It's more or less the same for AP/FSD. Tesla has a working system that people use every single day. It's not perfect by any means, but it works remarkably well. The competition really don't have anything comparable and are still years behind.

Bjorn tests a lot of EVs. Like ALL of them. See 15:00 in this vid for an example and his comments...

Reactions: PackMan730
You know how people have been saying "the competition is coming" for years, but Tesla is still dominating in 2021? It's more or less the same for AP/FSD. Tesla has a working system that people use every single day. It's not perfect by any means, but it works remarkably well. The competition really don't have anything comparable and are still years behind.

Bjorn tests a lot of EVs. Like ALL of them. See 15:00 in this vid for an example and his comments...

This isn't true... Volvo and Subaru both have very good systems. Overall not as good, but in some aspects better. For example, my subaru doesn't force me to blind every other car on the road when I'm using its autosteer.

It's not comparable to FSD, but as far as basic AP goes, other companies are very close

This isn't true... Volvo and Subaru both have very good systems. Overall not as good, but in some aspects better. For example, my subaru doesn't force me to blind every other car on the road when I'm using its autosteer.

It's not comparable to FSD, but as far as basic AP goes, other companies are very close
Absolutely. Nissan Pro-pilot is better than AP in some ways and worse in others. Better e.g. in the fact that you can change lanes manually, and once you're in the new lane, it will pick up the lane markings and re-engage auto steering. Years ago I rented a Volvo V90 and its system worked very well on freeways.

On the other hand I wasn't very impressed with the system on my 2018 BMW X3. It was really only usable on very straight roads.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert

I have a MYP and a 2019 Subaru Ascent with the Eyesight system. Eyesight is pretty good but it’s nowhere even close to Tesla IMO. The Ascent‘s lane holding feature would drive right off the road in situations where Autosteer has zero issue.