Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Conversation with Elon Musk (Khan Academy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I watched this last night, at the end Elon was again questioned about the "hyperloop", he seems to hint about releasing more details after the earnings call (which google shows occurring on May 6th but is not confirmed by a tesla yet). I wonder if Elon will start another company for this, or try to get an existing firm to prototype/build it? He looks pretty worn out, too much chewing on glass :)

Very interesting interview. Many interesting comments by Elon on a wide variety of topics.
It was good to hear him state at 34:50 that the "pace of technology improvement in electric energy storage is moving faster than anyone thinks".

Big fan of Khan Academy. Love when Khan says: "We are redesigning the website for next year" in response to what Elon has on tap in the next year, lol... great video - two amazing guys in a
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]casual, but, enlightening interview. Seeing these two talk just made my IQ shoot up! [/FONT]:smile:

I loved this video. I love the way Elon thinks. You can tell that with every question, he's analytically evaluating responses and presenting the best one. We need more influential thinkers like him... he makes the world of technology evolve even faster than it is already.

Yes, Elon is always interesting to listen to. I love the way he brings things down to their bare fundamentals, like the cost of materials.

I love the way Elon thinks. You can tell that with every question, he's analytically evaluating responses and presenting the best one.

For some reason that brought to mind a scene from The Terminator. I'd link a YouTube video but it's NSFW...

Yes, Elon is always interesting to listen to. I love the way he brings things down to their bare fundamentals, like the cost of materials.

For some reason that brought to mind a scene from The Terminator. I'd link a YouTube video but it's NSFW...

LOL. I somehow doubt one of Elon's responses after his analytical ponderings would be "F&$# you a%#&*!@". :) That's hilarious.

In most interviews Elon stutters a lot. In this interview he rarely stutters due to who he is talking to. The stuttering is linked to whether he is editing himself as he talks. In this conversation his editor is completely off and he just talking. It is really enjoyable to watch.

In most interviews Elon stutters a lot. In this interview he rarely stutters due to who he is talking to. The stuttering is linked to whether he is editing himself as he talks. In this conversation his editor is completely off and he just talking. It is really enjoyable to watch.

Yup, he's not being asked about a lot of "glass eating" questions by financial types, who assign huge meaning to every syllable he utters :) he is also not being asked to make any forward looking statements about Tesla either.

His mind works faster than his mouth. You can see he starts in one direction, and then picks up a better train of thought and changes direction. When it's more informal, he slows down and has fun. There is a Rainn Wilson video with Elon where he is mostly goofing off. He doesn't stutter.

I think Steve Jobs did that for awhile until he trained himself to slow down and pronounce better. He practiced all of his presentations for a long time prior and then made them look spontaneous and effortless. If I were advising Elon, I would recommend he find out who worked with Jobs and hire him to train Elon. He's already a master businessman and engineer. Imagine if his communication skills improved......it would be scary.

Thanks for posting this video.

Whenever I think about the hyper loop, I can't help but think of how it reminds me of Fermat's last theorem. It possibly could have the same fate of being out of human reach for hundreds of years.

GSP

Whenever I think about the hyper loop, I can't help but think of how it reminds me of Fermat's last theorem. It possibly could have the same fate of being out of human reach for hundreds of years.

GSP

And we may never know if Fermat had an actual proof, or was just teasing us with his incredible intuition. If he did have an actual proof, it would have been relatively short and so elegant that we'd all say upon seeing it "Why didn't we see that before?" Well, maybe not right after seeing it. It wouldn't be the proof that requires reams and reams of paper. I don't know if Elon has the same kind of genius as Fermat, but he at least has his own kind of genius.

Elon has gotten quite a lot better over the years. What really works is practice, practice, practice.

Yeah, I noticed he used to just "wing it" a lot more and struggled with that.
Then, he started giving interview after interview which was the same recounting of his life story, and I was like WTF? But then I realized it was practice, practice, practice getting comfortable by talking about a subject where you are the absolute authority. Probably some sort of proven method towards becoming a better public speaker.

After you see enough of these you realize that half of these responses are "canned" because the same question has been asked before. He is more comfortable because half the time he already knows exactly what he is going to say.

Just watched this awesome video. The guy is pure genius.

In the bit about PayPal, he likened to rapid growth of the company to growing bacteria in a Petri dish. Something similar you want to create at a start-up in that every customer creates two new customers. I found that interesting because he has also mentioned this about Tesla's sales model, where every car delivered could generate two new reservation.

It would be great to have Elon in a similar type of a casual interview setting at the TESLIVE event talking about future of transportation--hope the organizers are working on it.

Last edited:
The future should be better than the past.......
Hyperloop... People would look forward to it getting done.

It is nice to see people that can step back from a particular situation, take a look at it and then point out obvious common sense elements. It's a skill that I find incredibly valuable and yet in decreasing supply and fashion.