Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A couple of newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

A couple of quick ones:

- On the main screen display my car icon is always showing some form of “radar pinging” around the left hand side sensors, even when I am driving on the motorway. They seem always to be hunting and going grey/orange/red even when there are no obstacles. Normal?

- Software updates. That old chestnut. My car tells me that an update is available and I should connect to WiFi. It is connected to my WiFi. I can watch Netflix when connected so clearly it is working, but the car just tells me to connect as below. Is this normal? I guess the orange download icon at the top means that it is trying to download. But it has sat like this for 2 days now. I realise it is only showing 2 bars of WiFi but it is enough to watch Netflix...

Yes he is called Nigel, don’t ask.

Thank you.
5E50BAC5-820A-4720-A6D1-850A576D6E40.jpeg

For the software update, using the mobile app does it give you the opportunity to install it ? If so then try it from there. That’s what I did to update my model 3.
The mobile app tells me there is a software update available but also asks me to connect to WiFi, which Nigel is right now.

For the first question, what does the manual say in the ‘Lane Assist’ section ? ;)
Thank you I guess it took you less time to type that than it would have to type “That is normal” ;-)

A02DC5BF-574F-4A04-891C-5CC663FA528B.jpeg

Reactions: MacPaul
All,

A couple of quick ones:

- On the main screen display my car icon is always showing some form of “radar pinging” around the left hand side sensors, even when I am driving on the motorway. They seem always to be hunting and going grey/orange/red even when there are no obstacles. Normal?

- Software updates. That old chestnut. My car tells me that an update is available and I should connect to WiFi. It is connected to my WiFi. I can watch Netflix when connected so clearly it is working, but the car just tells me to connect as below. Is this normal? I guess the orange download icon at the top means that it is trying to download. But it has sat like this for 2 days now. I realise it is only showing 2 bars of WiFi but it is enough to watch Netflix...

Thank you.
View attachment 483366

Try restarting your car and try cleaning your sensors.

Reactions: madcal
I am sure we have all received an RFTM response and most likely given one. I try not to do the latter as however well meant it is rather grating. Still I am here to make friends, even indolent ones so I can move on ;-)

Re: the car showing things on the “radar” it happens all the time when driving, even without autopilot engaged. There is no consequence other than flashing things on the screen. It happens on the motorway when there is no traffic around. Weird.

Re: the software update, this is more irritating, it is connected to my WiFi (and I have several £000 of UniFi kit in my house so I can track exactly what it is doing), it can watch Netflix but the software update screen still asks me to connect as per the screen shots above, so does the app. Annoying when you are a 5-year old who always wants the latest stuff. I may go find an old wireless access point and stick it next to the car on a separate subnet with direct Internet access just to see if the Tesla is fighting with something.

Finally, I am having FOMO about not buying FSD, if I am going to buy it eventually should I just buy it now? The most irritating part about not having it is the autopilot disengaging when you overtake someone on the motorway, I guess FSD would fix this by changing lane for me.

Any help appreciated.

One of the recent software updates (2019.32.x?) made this very over sensitive. Seems to be back to normal in 2019.36.x. Possibly not the issue as you already are on 36.2.

It would start pinging off in queues and cars had just driven off or were not close. May be similar?

Last edited:
Only when all else fails.

car showing things on the “radar”
I had a look when I was driving. It looks like white lines = car can see an edge in the distance.

Re: the software update
Have you tried turning it off and on again. I had an update that wouln't go through until I put my WiFi password in again.
not buying FSD
I decided not to get it because a) It's so limited that it's pretty much useless and b) I don't like being driven by most humans so i'm not letting a computer do it.

I went and did the hard restart (both buttons, brake pedal). But still it says “Connected to WiFi” and “Connect to WiFi to download software update”.

I tried connecting it to my iPhone hotspot on 4G, but same outcome so I think it is the car not my home infrastructure.

Will wait and see, maybe it is just a little moody somewhere in Teslaland.

I hesitate to ask here as I have not yet spent time RTFMing but it doesn’t remember my WiFi passcodes, have to enter every time. Cannot be normal?

Bit of a long shot but you wouldn’t have , by any chance, previously connected into a SSID with the same name as the one you are trying to connect to now ? The car can only remember distinct SSIDs so if it has a password stored for that other network then when it finds yours it will attempt to use that password, fail, and then ask for the password due to an authentication failure.

The way to fix this would be to get it to ignore the SSID and rediscover .

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. The car is new and my network has a weird SSID name (it isn’t Nigella) so unlikely. I can have multiple SSIDs so even created a new one called Tesla and it was the only MAC allowed on. It still watches Netflix and plays Spotify but refuses to acknowledge it can download software. Anyhow, first world problems ;-). I will leave it a couple more days then maybe call the Tesla people and ask.

I do my first long trip on Wednesday, 400 miles Suffolk to Scotland. Will be interesting to see what the real-world range and Supercharger experience is like. I may succumb and pay Tesla their £6k to get FSD enabled first.

All,

A couple of quick ones:

Thank you.
View attachment 483366
Welcome to the group ...

Nice name for the car , love it